Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 37 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Connoisseur

Re: Tequila Forum

Quote Originally Posted by RVTsteve View Post
    My budget bottle of tequila right now is the Herencia Mexicana Blanco. Fragrant nose, floral tequila notes on the palate, very smooth and clean. At $20-$25 I think it's a pretty good value.

My favorite right now that I drink regularly is the ArteNom 1414. Just so effing good. Tons of flavor, dangerously drinkable.

Soon to try the other ArteNoms particularly the 1146 which I've heard great things about.

Got my eye on the TPS barrel strength Tequila Ocho bottling. Very interested in that one, but not sure if I'm $75+shipping interested just yet.
    I recall liking Herencia Mexicana quite a bit and even have a bottle bunkered. Hi Time has it for $17.99. ArteNOM's entire line is fantastic. I think that I like the 1414 the best too, but the 1146 anejo is really good.

For $75, get the Corrido Anejo - $40 & Reposado - $35 (Also at www.hitimewine.net) if you haven't had them. Some of the best tequila for the money that's out there right now. I'd recommend the Crotalo line too...the anejo expecially.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    I recall liking Herencia Mexicana quite a bit and even have a bottle bunkered. Hi Time has it for $17.99. ArteNOM's entire line is fantastic. I think that I like the 1414 the best too, but the 1146 anejo is really good.

For $75, get the Corrido Anejo - $40 & Reposado - $35 (Also at www.hitimewine.net) if you haven't had them. Some of the best tequila for the money that's out there right now. I'd recommend the Crotalo line too...the anejo expecially.
    I second the recommendation for Corrido Anejo. I had it again last night (too much of it to be truthful) and remain knocked out by it. Smooth, rich and peppery on the tongue with wonderful floral notes--you can't beat it for the price!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Enthusiast

I went back to my bottle of Corrido Anejo that I bought on Max's recommendation a while ago. Still love it. It's so creamy and nice. I think I will grab their reposado soon.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by compliance View Post
    I went back to my bottle of Corrido Anejo that I bought on Max's recommendation a while ago. Still love it. It's so creamy and nice. I think I will grab their reposado soon.
    The reposado is eqaully as good, but in a different way. The only one that I can't recommend is the Extra Anejo...and that's simply because of the price. I like the anejo better and it's half the price. The blanco is very good too with nice grassy & citrus notes with a nice strong agave kick.

Guru

The reposado is eqaully as good, but in a different way. The only one that I can't recommend is the Extra Anejo...and that's simply because of the price. I like the anejo better and it's half the price. The blanco is very good too with nice grassy & citrus notes with a nice strong agave kick.
    I was thinking about placing another Hi-Time order and am torn between yet another bottle of Corrido Anejo or picking up my first Corrido Reposado. I guess I'll have to check out your reviews again before making a decision. (Wish I could get both but I'm starting to draw up a list of bottles I need to pick up for holiday visitors and tequila tends to place far down the line this time of year.)
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Enthusiast

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm making an order from hitime and I'll include those bottles, plus the Cazadores XA. I checked out your blog and it seems like a cool resource, thanks.

Did a little budget bottle tasting the other day.
    Left to Right : Centenario anejo, El Jimador anejo, Herencia Mexicana blanco, Don Camilo reposado & anejo, and Tres Agaves anejo.

IMG_3058.jpgIMG_3059.jpg

Maybe this says more about my palate than the tequila but the three cheapest were my favorites. The first three bottles on the left were are under $30. El Jimador anejo is incredibly rich with flavors and surprised me with each sip. The Centenario went toe-to-toe with it offering some of it's own surprises and interesting flavors. The Herencia Mexicana I've had for a while and it's nose seems to keep getting better.

At $35 the Tres Agaves anejo was really good too totally stoked on the value and flavor in this bottle.

The Don Camilo were on sale half off, usually go for ~$60 and $40 respectively, so I jumped at them, but they couldn't stand up to the nose or flavors of the others. Maybe it was having them all at once, maybe that's why they were on sale, hopefully next time I get to those bottles they have more to offer.

All in all though, I think it's a sweet little budget collection of bottles $35 or less and I can't wait to get back to them.
    Last edited by RVTsteve; 10-24-2012 at 19:17.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by RVTsteve View Post

Did a little budget bottle tasting the other day.
    Left to Right : Centenario anejo, El Jimador anejo, Herencia Mexicana blanco, Don Camilo reposado & anejo, and Tres Agaves anejo.

IMG_3058.jpgIMG_3059.jpg

Maybe this says more about my palate than the tequila but the three cheapest were my favorites. The first three bottles on the left were are under $30. El Jimador anejo is incredibly rich with flavors and surprised me with each sip. The Centenario went toe-to-toe with it offering some of it's own surprises and interesting flavors. The Herencia Mexicana I've had for a while and it's nose seems to keep getting better.

At $35 the Tres Agaves anejo was really good too totally stoked on the value and flavor in this bottle.

The Don Camilo were on sale half off, usually go for ~$60 and $40 respectively, so I jumped at them, but they couldn't stand up to the nose or flavors of the others. Maybe it was having them all at once, maybe that's why they were on sale, hopefully next time I get to those bottles they have more to offer.

All in all though, I think it's a sweet little budget collection of bottles $35 or less and I can't wait to get back to them.
    Don Camlio has a bunch of anise in it so if you don't like that, you won't like the finish. I really like the Tres Agaves line, but I like the blanco the best. Herencia Mex for under $20 is stellar. It's good for twice that. Centinela isn't really a "budget" one per se, but if you got it cheap, that's great. Centinela is one of the fruitiest tequilas out there. I dig both the repo and anejo. El jimador is a value gem. It's won the Spirits of Mexico competition in the anejo category 2 years straight. Very good.

Disciple

I've recently tried Herencia Blanco and I think it's one of the best Blancos out there. What are peoples' thoughts on the Rep and Anejo?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    I've recently tried Herencia Blanco and I think it's one of the best Blancos out there. What are peoples' thoughts on the Rep and Anejo?
    Generally priced much higher than the blanco and is not as good as the blanco IMO. It's good tequila, but pretty par for the course in the $35-40 range for the repo and $45 range for the anejo.

I'd be recommending Corrido, Don Pilar, Don Julio and a few others for the same prices. But again, it's always a personal taste thing. Herencia Mex blanco is the best value of the bunch by far to me.

Enthusiast

Visited a tequila buddy on a business trip last week, and we raided his open stash. Tasted lots of incredible things, including Porfidios, T1 11-year, some 1980s pre-Chinaco blanco, El Tesoro white labels, Tapatio Exelencia, Corrido XA, the list goes on...