Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 38 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Connoisseur

Re: Tequila Forum

Quote Originally Posted by luther.r View Post
    Visited a tequila buddy on a business trip last week, and we raided his open stash. Tasted lots of incredible things, including Porfidios, T1 11-year, some 1980s pre-Chinaco blanco, El Tesoro white labels, Tapatio Exelencia, Corrido XA, the list goes on...
    Where have I been for so long. That's a great list of juices. Give me your buddy's address so I can raid that stash. I can bring some gems along with me.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

What's everyone been drinking recently. I've fallen in love with Calle 23 over the recent weeks. Great juice at a great price and might be limited to Europe in the future.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Tonight I had a Tequila Sunrise at a party. It's the second time I had one, the first time was at a restaurant in Bushnell's Basin, NY called Richardson Canal House, about 15 years ago. That one was good but this one was better. Both had a characteristic watermelon colour but the second one was bigger in flavour and the tequila showed through more.

The day-glo color recalls the 60's and 70's when the drink was probably at its peak.

Gary

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Tonight I had a Tequila Sunrise at a party. It's the second time I had one, the first time was at a restaurant in Bushnell's Basin, NY called Richardson Canal House, about 15 years ago. That one was good but this one was better. Both had a characteristic watermelon colour but the second one was bigger in flavour and the tequila showed through more.

The day-glo color recalls the 60's and 70's when the drink was probably at its peak.

Gary
    My wife's gramdma likes them a lot. I've had one and it's a tasty drink to be sure. I just stick to straight pours more often. I can think of some tequilas that would really compliment that drink nicely.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

That's a good point Max because the tequila in it didn't match the mix perfectly. The distinctive flavor of a decent (it was a high-end bar) but not necessarily complementary tequila meant that the flavors didn't quite cohere. I liked the melon-like fruitiness of it though and would try again with the right tequila.

Incidentally it occurs to me mezcal probably wouldn't work, any brand, but maybe I'm wrong..

Gary

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    That's a good point Max because the tequila in it didn't match the mix perfectly. The distinctive flavor of a decent (it was a high-end bar) but not necessarily complementary tequila meant that the flavors didn't quite cohere. I liked the melon-like fruitiness of it though and would try again with the right tequila.

Incidentally it occurs to me mezcal probably wouldn't work, any brand, but maybe I'm wrong..

Gary
    I haven't had as many Mezcals, but I can think of a couple that would work well. Del Maguey Espadin Especial would be great, but who would want to pay the price to mix that?

Connoisseur

Sitting down with a nice selection with friends tonight:

Crotalo Anejo
    Calle 23 Blanco
    Corrido Blanco
    Tequileno Anejo
    Riazul Anejo
    4 Copas Anejo
    Tributo Reposado
    and others.

Should be a nice night of sipping.

Enthusiast

Haven't read the entire thread yet, but it's nice to know this is here. I sort of left Tequila behind when I moved into bourbon, but my explorations of that universe were interesting, and I'm glad to understand why tequila is a truly fine spirit, to be enjoyed and respected, rather than scoffed at as simply a source of hangover stories from spring break trips.

My favorites were Riazul Anejo (very Cognac-like to my palate, and complex) and Don Julio 1942, which was simply awe-inspiring.

Guru

Tequila Forum

Posted in the wrong thread last night, but...

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Not sure if this is the right thread, but I went off the reservation tonight with Azunia Anejo & Fortaleza Blanco tequilas in my glass.

I need to score a bottle of the Fortaleza ASAP.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    Finally decided to pick up a Don Julio 1942 for $80 on sale. Haven't tried it before, as the $100+ price always made me shy away, but I today was a good day. I'll probably open it up tomorrow night. Looking forward to comparing it to some of my other anejos to see if it's worth the premium.
    Finally opened this one up last night...was very disappointed. I'm thinking there might be a cork issue, as there was a very strange moldy/musty smell when I opened the bottle. I'm going to let it sit for a couple days and see if things change, but it didn't show well at all compared to my standard DJ Anejo.