Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 39 of 81 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Guru

Re: Tequila Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    Finally opened this one up last night...was very disappointed. I'm thinking there might be a cork issue, as there was a very strange moldy/musty smell when I opened the bottle. I'm going to let it sit for a couple days and see if things change, but it didn't show well at all compared to my standard DJ Anejo.
    Would definitely think there is an issue of some sort. Standard DJ is a nice pour but I find the DJ 1942 to be substantially better. Smooth and easy drinking but still has plenty of tequila character. No musty smell at all.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

I've mixed a lot of Tequila based cocktails for others over the years but never developed a taste for the liquor myself. May give it another go when the weather warms up.

Enthusiast

Finally opened this one up last night...was very disappointed. I'm thinking there might be a cork issue, as there was a very strange moldy/musty smell when I opened the bottle. I'm going to let it sit for a couple days and see if things change, but it didn't show well at all compared to my standard DJ Anejo.
    I've never been a fan of the 1942 personally. I think for the price it's overly sweet and one-dimensional. But moldy/musty sounds corked to me.

Connoisseur

There's plenty of tequilas that can have a mild to substantial musty aspect...DJ1942 is not one of them. That stinks that something that is normally that good wasn't for you. Can you return it to the store?
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Got a hankerin' for Tequila this evening, so poured a Reidel Bourbon Glass of Tres Generaciones Anejo. This may be the first January since college that I have had a neat pour of tequila. And, I'm sure that tequila was probably Two Fingers...Yikes!!!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

My next door neighbor brought me back a bottle of Los Azulejos Anejo in a cool decanter. Everything is written in Spanish. ANyone know anything about this?

Guru

Tequila Forum

I haven't actually had any yet but have seen it @ my local Total Wine. Here's a link to some info @ Tequila.net:

http://www.tequila.net/tequila-revie...-anejo-mc.html
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 02-17-2013 at 18:20.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

K&L Spirits Blog in rant mode again, this time on tequila's degeneration to corporate slop:
    http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/kl...uila-woes.html

Since he is trashing his own dwindling or OOS inventory (Clase Azul & Casamigos), I think this is the lead in to him introducing K&L's new line of barrel selected exclusive tequila's & mezcal. Maybe I'm too young to remember how tasty and "real" tequila used to be. Or is this just more Driscoll dreck? I like how he conjures the image of the dejected Mexican tequila lover shuffling off to the mezcal bars to reminisce about the days when tequila was TEQUILA.

Guru

K&L Spirits Blog in rant mode again, this time on tequila's degeneration to corporate slop:
    http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/kl...uila-woes.html

Since he is trashing his own dwindling or OOS inventory (Clase Azul & Casamigos), I think this is the lead in to him introducing K&L's new line of barrel selected exclusive tequila's & mezcal. Maybe I'm too young to remember how tasty and "real" tequila used to be. Or is this just more Driscoll dreck? I like how he conjures the image of the dejected Mexican tequila lover shuffling off to the mezcal bars to reminisce about the days when tequila was TEQUILA.
    Interesting. Would be more interesting if I were a K&L customer. I can't be though so it takes some of the interest away.

That and I happen to like my "sugary" Clas Azul. Certainly not my only tequila or even the tequila I would reach for if I wanted to drink "real" tequila. But a nice after dinner drink now and again. And I still find what I feel to be enough "real" tequila out there. It just isn't Patron or Cuervo or the growing number of celebrity backed brands. But it doesn't have to taste like it was stored in a gas tank to make me think it is plenty real.

Sometimes you have to kiss a few pigs before you find the real bacon!

Also not sure how concerned I am that the locals are rejecting it. Or if anybody, including K&L, can provide a product that I can be certain doesn't have additives in it without specific regulation in place. Just because the producers claims it doesn't isn't particularly reassuring in this day and age. If Mexico wants to "fix" the problem they could certainly do so by putting a limit on what can be added to a spirit and still call it tequila. Or create a special class something like the difference between bourbon and blended whiskey. Tequila and "tequila classico" perhaps.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

I've had 'real' Tequila, in Mexico over 40 years ago and the best thing I can say was it made me appreciate good Bourbon all the more.