Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 41 of 90 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Guru

Tequila Forum

They didn't have one when I looked - only the standard 10 :-(

Oops: thought you meant the duty-free by the pier
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 04-10-2013 at 14:26.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Re: Tequila Forum

Power tequila lunch today at Escorpion!

The Excellia anejo was superb. It is a tequila finished in sauternes casks and cognac barrels from the same distillery that makes El Tesoro. It was also the priciest of what we tried. Fortunately I have a bottle of this at home to enjoy!

Also had a Siete Leguas anejo (the same NOM that made Patron back when it was still a decent tequila) and a Centinela anejo, a brand I was not that familiar with. Both were good if not in the same league as the Excellia.

All were highland tequilas so it made for a nice comparison.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

I went dusty hunting the other day and found some tequilas that caught my eye. There was an Espolon Nom 1440 Añejo ($49) that was tall and slender (not like the current blanco and reposado bottles). A Herradura blanco Nom 1119 ($21) came in a similarly retro (i.e. tall and slender, not short and squat) bottle. Finally, a Corazon blanco Nom 1103 ($23) was there as well.

I recall reading that both Herradura and Espolon are shadows of their former selves and know that Corazon has been 1440 and 1103 product. Are any of these worth picking up? I think 1103 is the newer Corazon, which surprises me because I've only been able to find 1440 stuff. My only añejo thus far hasn't wowed me so the Herradura interests me the most.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Power tequila lunch today at Escorpion!

The Excellia anejo was superb. It is a tequila finished in sauternes casks and cognac barrels from the same distillery that makes El Tesoro. It was also the priciest of what we tried. Fortunately I have a bottle of this at home to enjoy!

Also had a Siete Leguas anejo (the same NOM that made Patron back when it was still a decent tequila) and a Centinela anejo, a brand I was not that familiar with. Both were good if not in the same league as the Excellia.

All were highland tequilas so it made for a nice comparison.
    That's 3 nice anejos to try. Did you get a chance to see the bottle of Centinela. They changed the bottle and the formulation. If it was a round bottle, it's the older one. The newer one is square. I haven't heard great things about the new one, but can't say anything myself. Centinela has/had a very trademark taste and it was great. 7 Leguas is a premium bargain at around $45 for the anejo. Lots of agave and balance without getting overly sweet. Excellia is a really good brand, but I'm not sure if I find it to be worth the big price tag. If someone was serving it, I'd surely be partaking though.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Alphanumeric View Post
    I went dusty hunting the other day and found some tequilas that caught my eye. There was an Espolon Nom 1440 Añejo ($49) that was tall and slender (not like the current blanco and reposado bottles). A Herradura blanco Nom 1119 ($21) came in a similarly retro (i.e. tall and slender, not short and squat) bottle. Finally, a Corazon blanco Nom 1103 ($23) was there as well.

I recall reading that both Herradura and Espolon are shadows of their former selves and know that Corazon has been 1440 and 1103 product. Are any of these worth picking up? I think 1103 is the newer Corazon, which surprises me because I've only been able to find 1440 stuff. My only añejo thus far hasn't wowed me so the Herradura interests me the most.
    Herradura went to a diffuser for their agave 10+ years ago, so it would shock me if the bottle was that old. At $21, it's worth a shot in margaritas at the worst since the current formulation of Herradura is fairly green. To be honest, the newer bottle of Corazon is much better than the old. It's rare that it happens, but I've never met anyone to say differently who has had both. The foil label Espolon is a "treasure" bottle given that it was produced before it was sold to the big boys. I've heard it's good, but $49 is a steep price for it. Most people buying dusties in CA of that are paying $25-30.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    They didn't have one when I looked - only the standard 10 :-(

Oops: thought you meant the duty-free by the pier
    What did you end up buying? My parents were in Cozumel and couldn't find what I asked them to look for either. I need to make a trip to Jalisco and just buy what I need.

Advanced Taster

Perfect response, Max. Thanks.

Honestly, I'm not too knowledgeable about tequila. I've only got a few bottles and they're just okay. But even with such underwhelming examples, I really like the spirit and am eager to find some of the great stuff so I can be blown away.

Guru

Tequila Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    What did you end up buying?
    375's of Oro Azul & Aha Toro (love the Aha Toro bottles).

I passed on Cava de Oro because its lower proof than what I can get stateside - the bottles looked "big" @ the time and was thinking about having mule-ing it back home.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    That's 3 nice anejos to try. Did you get a chance to see the bottle of Centinela. They changed the bottle and the formulation. If it was a round bottle, it's the older one. The newer one is square. I haven't heard great things about the new one, but can't say anything myself. Centinela has/had a very trademark taste and it was great. 7 Leguas is a premium bargain at around $45 for the anejo. Lots of agave and balance without getting overly sweet. Excellia is a really good brand, but I'm not sure if I find it to be worth the big price tag. If someone was serving it, I'd surely be partaking though.
    It was the newer square Centinela bottle. Not having tried the older bottle I could not comment on the difference, even were I able to remember! I thought it to be fine but not great and as I recall in the same price range as the Siete Leguas. Of the two I would probably choose the Siete Leguas but maybe because I am more familiar with it.

If I am just sitting and drinking tequila neat then for me at least the Excellia anejo is worth the extra premium. Not really any comparison between it and the other two. But then I value an anejo that can brink a bit of sweetness and depth but still hold onto its agave roots so to speak.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    375's of Oro Azul & Aha Toro (love the Aha Toro bottles).

I passed on Cava de Oro because its lower proof than what I can get stateside - the bottles looked "big" @ the time and was thinking about having mule-ing it back home.
    Good choice, NOM 1079 or the new NOM? I haven't had any of the new stuff, so I'd be eager to compare.