Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 42 of 92 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Connoisseur

Re: Tequila Forum

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    It was the newer square Centinela bottle. Not having tried the older bottle I could not comment on the difference, even were I able to remember! I thought it to be fine but not great and as I recall in the same price range as the Siete Leguas. Of the two I would probably choose the Siete Leguas but maybe because I am more familiar with it.

If I am just sitting and drinking tequila neat then for me at least the Excellia anejo is worth the extra premium. Not really any comparison between it and the other two. But then I value an anejo that can brink a bit of sweetness and depth but still hold onto its agave roots so to speak.
    Excellia is cognac/sauternes aged. If you like that, you should try the Don Pilar Extra Anejo. It used french limousin casks to age as well. It's one of my very favorite tequilas. If the $130-140 price scares you off. The Don Pilar Anejo is stellar for $35-40 as well.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Excellia is cognac/sauternes aged. If you like that, you should try the Don Pilar Extra Anejo. It used french limousin casks to age as well. It's one of my very favorite tequilas. If the $130-140 price scares you off. The Don Pilar Anejo is stellar for $35-40 as well.
    Not that concerned with the price if it is something I like (have a couple of tequilas and mezcals in that range already) but would probably want to try it first and not sure if it is readily available locally. At least I haven't seen it in recent memory and it is not listed in the local Beverage Journal. But I will keep it in mind.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Not that concerned with the price if it is something I like (have a couple of tequilas and mezcals in that range already) but would probably want to try it first and not sure if it is readily available locally. At least I haven't seen it in recent memory and it is not listed in the local Beverage Journal. But I will keep it in mind.
    It's pretty much on the West Coast, but you can get it shipped from Hi Time or www.zeetequila.com. Both places have massive selections of spirits. Being in the frozen north, it's my only avenue to good tequila.

Guru

Tequila Forum

+1 for the Don Pilars... Love the stuff
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    +1 for the Don Pilars... Love the stuff
    The extra anejo or in general? Hard to spend that for the extra anejo without trying it but likely will have to have it shipped to me if I want to give it a try.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Guru

Tequila Forum

The extra anejo or in general? Hard to spend that for the extra anejo without trying it but likely will have to have it shipped to me if I want to give it a try.
    Both the XA & the Anejo. Try before buying - sent you a PM.
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 04-19-2013 at 11:17.

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Both are wonderful. They use new oak barrels in stead of used and you can really tell the difference that happens in every step of what they do. The blanco is full of agave and spicy and flavorful. Awesome for a a clean sipper and amazing as a premium mixer. Using the new barrels for the anejo instead of used gives it a whiskey like quality that makes it rich and full of caramel, but without losing the tequila aspect of it. The extra anejo is finished in the French barrels and gives it a complex aspect that makes it unlike any other XA I've had.

http://tequilatourist.blogspot.com/2...o.html?q=pilar - Extra Anejo

http://tequilatourist.blogspot.com/2...o.html?q=pilar - Anejo

http://tequilatourist.blogspot.com/2...o.html?q=pilar - Blanco

It's a small brand, but it one of the more underrated ones out there. Flat out good stuff.
    Last edited by Max Power; 04-22-2013 at 10:32.

Guru

Tequila Forum

Visiting with my old friend Don Pilar (XA) tonight - temperature broke through 70deg F and it was an absolutely beautiful PacNW spring day

Connoisseur

Cinco de Mayo Margarita
    Don Abraham Anejo (3 oz), fresh squeezed lime juice (2.5 oz), Agavero orange liqueur(2 oz), simple syrup (1 oz)
    too lazy (forgot) to salt the rim of the glass
    Pulled pork off the Big Green Egg with some homemade mac'n'cheese.......Muy bueno!!

"A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoys View Post
    Cinco de Mayo Margarita
    Don Abraham Anejo (3 oz), fresh squeezed lime juice (2.5 oz), Agavero orange liqueur(2 oz), simple syrup (1 oz)
    too lazy (forgot) to salt the rim of the glass
    Pulled pork off the Big Green Egg with some homemade mac'n'cheese.......Muy bueno!!

A margarita for the sweet tooth! Between the Agave nectar in the Agavero Orange and the simple syrup that is a pretty sweet recipe!

I do like the choice of something other than a blanco all the time and the Agavero Orange although my current favorite sweetner is Damiana liqueur and Solerno blood orange liqueur. But I think I would just use more of the Agavero if needed and skip that extra simple syrup.