Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 43 of 81 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Connoisseur

Re: Tequila Forum

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    A margarita for the sweet tooth! Between the Agave nectar in the Agavero Orange and the simple syrup that is a pretty sweet recipe!

I do like the choice of something other than a blanco all the time and the Agavero Orange although my current favorite sweetner is Damiana liqueur and Solerno blood orange liqueur. But I think I would just use more of the Agavero if needed and skip that extra simple syrup.

I have the Solerno blood orange liqueur and will have to try it in a margarita. I have cut down on the simple syrup over the years, but can help to balance out the fresh lime juice.

My other "recipe" is what I call 4-3-2-1 for the "parts" tequila-lime juice-orange liquor-simple syrup. Makes a nice 10 oz drink; even a little more after you shake it over ice. And it provides at least 100% of the US RDA for tequila.
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Guru

This past weekend my recipe of choice was a very simple 2-1-1-1 with Espolon Reposado, lime juice, Damiana and Solerno on the rocks. Easy and pretty tasty but definitely a little on the sweet side. You can always add more tequila and/or lime if you needed it though.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

I'm more of a 4-3-1-1 ratio kind of guy. I usually make a big one for the night to share.

8 ounces tequila
    6 ounces lime juice
    2 ounces Controy
    2 ounces Agave Nectar
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Enthusiast

Some interesting crossover product coming up soon:
    http://www.just-drinks.com/news/the-..._id110395.aspx

Available - From June
    Location - US, nation-wide
    Price - From US$59.99 to $89.99 per 75cl bottle
    The Sazerac Co's has released five whiskey-barrel-aged Tequilas under its Gemini Spirits & Wine unit.
    Expresiones del Corazon comprises Buffalo Trace Reposado, George T. Stagg Anejo, Sazerac Rye Anejo, Old Rip Van Winkle Anejo and Blanco. They are all aged in barrels from the Buffalo Trace Distillery and made at the Casa San Matias Distillery in the Los Altos region of Jalisco.
    Only 6,000 bottles of each expression are available, Sazerac said yesterday (16 May).

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by luther.r View Post
    Some interesting crossover product coming up soon:
    http://www.just-drinks.com/news/the-..._id110395.aspx

Available - From June
    Location - US, nation-wide
    Price - From US$59.99 to $89.99 per 75cl bottle
    The Sazerac Co's has released five whiskey-barrel-aged Tequilas under its Gemini Spirits & Wine unit.
    Expresiones del Corazon comprises Buffalo Trace Reposado, George T. Stagg Anejo, Sazerac Rye Anejo, Old Rip Van Winkle Anejo and Blanco. They are all aged in barrels from the Buffalo Trace Distillery and made at the Casa San Matias Distillery in the Los Altos region of Jalisco.
    Only 6,000 bottles of each expression are available, Sazerac said yesterday (16 May).
    The vast majority of tequilas are aged in used bourbon barrels. I'd try these if they were reasonably priced, but $60-90??? I think I'd pass on these. I think that the Tequila Whisperer will be doing a show on these this month. It's not necessarily a definitive answer on the flavor/value, but it's at least a way to get some info before you buy.

As an aside, knowing that these products come from NOM 1103 make me even less likely to want to pay a premium price. The Pueblo Viejo Orgullo, which is largely regarded as their best product (outside of Rey Sol 6 year year extra anejo), is around $40. My guess is that they already had the contract with Buffalo Trace to buy old barrels and now are just choosing to brand it.
    Last edited by Max Power; 05-20-2013 at 22:30.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    The vast majority of tequilas are aged in used bourbon barrels. I'd try these if they were reasonably priced, but $60-90??? I think I'd pass on these. I think that the Tequila Whisperer will be doing a show on these this month. It's not necessarily a definitive answer on the flavor/value, but it's at least a way to get some info before you buy.

As an aside, knowing that these products come from NOM 1103 make me even less likely to want to pay a premium price. The Pueblo Viejo Orgullo, which is largely regarded as their best product (outside of Rey Sol 6 year year extra anejo), is around $40. My guess is that they already had the contract with Buffalo Trace to buy old barrels and now are just choosing to brand it.

Good points for sure.

The other thing I've considered is that barrels that have aged bourbon for 12-18 years might not have so much flavor left in them to impart to the tequila, as opposed to standard 4-6 year Buffalo Trace/Jim Beam barrels. I'd love to see more tequila producers trying new charred barrels.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by luther.r View Post
    Good points for sure.

The other thing I've considered is that barrels that have aged bourbon for 12-18 years might not have so much flavor left in them to impart to the tequila, as opposed to standard 4-6 year Buffalo Trace/Jim Beam barrels. I'd love to see more tequila producers trying new charred barrels.
    I've had conversations with brands and the reason that they don't do it is because it is 8-10x the cost to use new barrels. The one that I know for sure uses new barrels is Don Pilar. The anejo has a bit of a bourbon like flavor and the extra anejo is 3 years in new charred barrels and then finished in cognac barrels. They both are wonderful. I'll do some more looking, but it's very rare to use new barrels.

It will be interesting to see what they do with these and if they use a lot of additives to make them seem more bourbon influenced.

Guru

Good to see you guys are keeping the flame lit on this thread. I had a tasty pour of Corrido Anejo after dinner last night and still love that stuff as much as the first time I tried it. Great tip from Max Power!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Good to see you guys are keeping the flame lit on this thread. I had a tasty pour of Corrido Anejo after dinner last night and still love that stuff as much as the first time I tried it. Great tip from Max Power!
    If you see it on the shelves somewhere you should pick it up. The owner (and the passion) behind the brand died and it has stopped production. It's hard to find anywhere. I'm always available via blog, forum or Facebook to help with any other recommendations or questions. I finally dug through the collection to see what I need to review/open. There's still an awful lot. Plenty to keep the flame going for a long time.

Virtuoso

Working on finishing off a bottle of Milagro Silver tonight. Not much left in this bottle as most of it was used in margaritas a year or so ago. But, in my uneducated opinion, this is pretty good stuff. I've acquired more of a taste for tequila lately and right now it's the most interesting spirit out there to me.