Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 44 of 89 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 887

Thread: Tequila Forum

  1. #431
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    858

    Re: Tequila Forum

    Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    Working on finishing off a bottle of Milagro Silver tonight. Not much left in this bottle as most of it was used in margaritas a year or so ago. But, in my uneducated opinion, this is pretty good stuff. I've acquired more of a taste for tequila lately and right now it's the most interesting spirit out there to me.
    I'm biased, but it really is the most interesting spirit to me. There's such a huge variety of flavors and expressions in tequila. Some many factors go in to how it tastes: age of agave, terroir, barrels, # of times distilled, altitude, water, cooking method, extraction method of the mosto and probably more that I'm just forgetting.

    I like Milagro Ailver as a mixer and the reposado and anejo are nice values to drink neat. With 1500 tequilas out there, the's better value IMO than Milagro, but I can't say anything bad about it other than the Silver is a little harsh straight. Always feel free to pm me or ask on here if you're looking for a recommendation. I'd like to know what aspects you like best in your tequila and that will help me make a suggestion. Salud!
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

    There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

  2. #432
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,126

    Re: Tequila Forum

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    I'm biased, but it really is the most interesting spirit to me. There's such a huge variety of flavors and expressions in tequila. Some many factors go in to how it tastes: age of agave, terroir, barrels, # of times distilled, altitude, water, cooking method, extraction method of the mosto and probably more that I'm just forgetting.

    I like Milagro Ailver as a mixer and the reposado and anejo are nice values to drink neat. With 1500 tequilas out there, the's better value IMO than Milagro, but I can't say anything bad about it other than the Silver is a little harsh straight. Always feel free to pm me or ask on here if you're looking for a recommendation. I'd like to know what aspects you like best in your tequila and that will help me make a suggestion. Salud!
    Thanks again for the help, Max.

    I bought a bottle of Milagro Reposado (on sale) today and recently cracked it open. I like it. But it's simply not near as smooth as the Don Julio Reposado I once had. Unfortunately at nearly $50 a bottle I can't afford to purchase Don Julio very often. Any chance there are cheaper tequilas out there, particularly reposado's, that are pretty smooth?

  3. #433
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    858

    Re: Tequila Forum

    Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    Thanks again for the help, Max.

    I bought a bottle of Milagro Reposado (on sale) today and recently cracked it open. I like it. But it's simply not near as smooth as the Don Julio Reposado I once had. Unfortunately at nearly $50 a bottle I can't afford to purchase Don Julio very often. Any chance there are cheaper tequilas out there, particularly reposado's, that are pretty smooth?
    Don Julio repo is the best of their line.

    Muchote is usually around $25 and is very smooth and tasty. A bit more oak than the others, but it comes from NOM 1414 distillery, which produces a lot of great juices.
    Don Fernando repo can be bought for $20 at Hi Time and is great value for that price.
    Tequileno Reposado can also be bought for $16 at Hi Time on closeout and is probably the best buy out there right now. I love it. It's normally $35-40 a bottle.

    Hi Time has a great selection of bourbon and scotch too if you've never shopped there and if you order 6 bottles, shipping might be around $4-5 a bottle at the most. Get a Tequila Blanco for $15 while you're at it. Nice agave flavor and the best mixer you'll ever get for that price.

    www.hitimewine.net

    http://tequilatourist.blogspot.com/2...-especial.html - Tequileno

    http://tequilatourist.blogspot.com/2...-reposado.html - Muchote

    http://tequilatourist.blogspot.com/2...tml?q=fernando - Don Fernando
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

    There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

  4. #434
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    791

    Re: Tequila Forum

    Finally decided to get a bottle of Avion--why not. My son and I loved Entourage. Decided to go for the anejo; just $5 more than the reposed. Not bad, but nothing special. It won't replace 1921 or Clase Azul. Even dragged out the "tasting set" from Puerto Vallarta and got my wife (as well as my son) to join me in a shot with a little salt and lime wedge. Will probably try it in a margarita later this week; already squeezed the limes.



    handwriting on the bottle collar label



    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

  5. #435
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    2,233

    Tequila Forum

    That's a cool shot set
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

  6. #436
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,126

    Tequila Forum

    Max, unfortunately living in Kentucky I cannot order alcohol online and have it shipped to me. But I will check out those brands you mentioned and see if I can find them locally. In the meantime I picked up a bottle of Dos Lunas Reposado today. Looking forward to trying it later tonight!

  7. #437
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,126

    Re: Tequila Forum

    Wow.

    Just took a sip of the Dos Lunas Reposado. The oak in this one is waaay more pronounced than in either Milagro Reposado or even Don Julio Reposado. I've never had tequila like this Dos Lunas I'm tasting right now. Where I remember Don Julio Reposado being very smooth and refined. The Dos Lunas Reposado packs a punch in terms of flavor. I'm picking up lots of flavors I would normally find in bourbon.

  8. #438
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    858

    Re: Tequila Forum

    Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    Wow.

    Just took a sip of the Dos Lunas Reposado. The oak in this one is waaay more pronounced than in either Milagro Reposado or even Don Julio Reposado. I've never had tequila like this Dos Lunas I'm tasting right now. Where I remember Don Julio Reposado being very smooth and refined. The Dos Lunas Reposado packs a punch in terms of flavor. I'm picking up lots of flavors I would normally find in bourbon.
    I would have suggested Dos Lunas, but their distribution went to crap and it's very hard to find these days. I like dos Lunas and the anejo is even better than the repo. The blanco is a bit grassy and has a nice overall profile, but it's a bit thin bodied. I picked up bottles (and extras) when it was on close out. Tequilas that use new oak barrels (like Don Pilar) generally get a bit of the bourbon element. Muchote definitely has that as well. Milagro and Don Julio are big company tequilas. While I like them both, it often takes a small brand to get the craftsmanship with big time complexity. Big companies want everyone to like it, small brands have a certain amount of love that go into it.

    If you live close to the border of a state that allows shipping, you can have it shipped and held at a Fed Ex Office or UPS store. There's some places that won't ship to MN and that's what I do since I'm 20 miles from the border. It's worth the drive to get the prices if it's possible for you. Let me know a store close to you that has their selection online and I can try to make recommendations from that.

    And I agree with ChainWhip...that is a pretty cool shot set. And a lot of tequila snobs out there will scoff at drinking Avion, but it has a place for me as an easy and sweeter sipper. It's a bit more candied than others, but it's tasty and consistent. But since you like Clase Azul, you probably like the sweeter side of tequilas. I'd say that if you could find an old bottle of Amate from NOM 1137 that you would love it. Smooth and desserty...good stuff.
    Last edited by Max Power; 05-28-2013 at 21:25.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

    There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

  9. #439
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,369

    Re: Tequila Forum

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Don Julio repo is the best of their line.

    Muchote is usually around $25 and is very smooth and tasty. A bit more oak than the others, but it comes from NOM 1414 distillery, which produces a lot of great juices.
    Don Fernando repo can be bought for $20 at Hi Time and is great value for that price.
    Tequileno Reposado can also be bought for $16 at Hi Time on closeout and is probably the best buy out there right now. I love it. It's normally $35-40 a bottle.

    Hi Time has a great selection of bourbon and scotch too if you've never shopped there and if you order 6 bottles, shipping might be around $4-5 a bottle at the most. Get a Tequila Blanco for $15 while you're at it. Nice agave flavor and the best mixer you'll ever get for that price.

    www.hitimewine.net

    http://tequilatourist.blogspot.com/2...-especial.html - Tequileno

    http://tequilatourist.blogspot.com/2...-reposado.html - Muchote

    http://tequilatourist.blogspot.com/2...tml?q=fernando - Don Fernando
    I find Muchote (aka MUCHO TEquila, not sure how clever that is...) to be a bit more peppery than other tequilas unless they have changed their profile since I haven't had it in awhile. Nice when you want something that packs a bit of a punch but not what I would call smooth.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

    Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

  10. #440
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Tequila Forum

    Been eyeing some 1921 Anejo... reviews online seem to be positive but there's no feedback from the TequilaTourist! =]b
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Tequila
    By cowdery in forum Non-Whiskey Alcohol
    Replies: 164
    Last Post: 05-16-2010, 21:55
  2. 1921 Tequila
    By whiskydude in forum Non-Whiskey Alcohol
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-01-2008, 20:20
  3. Price of Tequila
    By pepcycle in forum Non-Whiskey Alcohol
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-27-2005, 15:15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top