Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 47 of 91 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Connoisseur

Re: Tequila Forum

Tequila "stash" post...a couple are open, but these are all downstairs. Will post what's upstairs soon.

NOM in brackets

Don Julio 1942 Anejo [1449]
    1800 Anejo (Binny's Special Reserve) [1122]
    1921 Reserva Especiale Reposado (my favorite; glad to find one bunkered) [1079]
    Clase Azul Reposado (Max's rec--good one!!)--the blue & white porcelain bottle [1416]

have a Costco Anejo (1 liter bottle) downstairs, too, but didn't photo it..

Tezon Anejo [1111] not sure if bought in US or Mexico

bought in Puerto Vallarta:
    Revolucion Anejo (open) [1123]
    Comalteco Anejo (open) [1137]
    Esperanto Anejo (open) [1109]

I'm pretty sure I was travelling with 5 bottles; I bought some at the duty free store in the PV airport. I thought Illinois didn't have a limit on how much booze you could bring in; I would just pay duty on the excess, but I had to clear Customs in Dallas on way home....Do I declare it? Or just walk through with "nothing to declare" like virtually everyone else on the plane. I was only with my son (14 yrs old at the time); didn't look too suspicious. Figured I'd be honest and pay duty on excess.
    However, WAY over the limit on how much liquor you can bring into Texas. Agent not happy with me
    Said they want you to buy your liquor in Texas. I was picturing him confiscating my haul , but he let me through; didn't even pay any duty!!

​the bottle in the bag

straggler, but a really cool bottle with a glass agave plant in the middle; don't know why it's blue.

1800 came in a wood box

Don Julio 1942 bottle (old style; they've changed it a little) shaped like an agave leaf
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Enthusiast

awesome stash and some cool bottles. Not sure if you were serious about the glass agave on that one bottle but it's gotta be blue to represent the blue agave or agave azul/agave tequilana that tequila is made from.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by RVTsteve View Post
    awesome stash and some cool bottles. Not sure if you were serious about the glass agave on that one bottle but it's gotta be blue to represent the blue agave or agave azul/agave tequilana that tequila is made from.
    Blue agave. OK. I hadn't thought about it that way. I just think "agave".
    but, the plant still looks green to me; that's why I questioned it.

"A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Connoisseur

Yep, tequila is made from the Blue Weber Agave species. It is green, but so is KY blue grass. Just a little more blue than others. That's a nice collection of bottles. I've had them all except for Comalteco. It's a Cofradia product that is only sold in MX. I can probably tell you what it tastes like though since NOM1137 pumps out a lot of brands and only a few have different aging methods. My rankings would be:

1. 1921 RE
    2. Don Julio 1942
    3. Clase Azul - for the sweet tooth if the mood is right
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

tequila collection 2-4-13.jpg

A photo op from about 4 months ago. Added more since then, but it's the best picture I have of all of the children. It only includes single bottles and not the bunkered ones.

Enthusiast

wow. incredible Max. I figured you had a lot of tequila, but man that is A LOT OF TEQUILA! and not even the bunkered bottles. killer. where to start? what to drink? where to keep it all?!

I mean we've all seen the massive whiskey stashes of fellow SB'ers but it's often multiples of several bottlings, there are no duplicates here. I'd say I'm speechless but that's apparently not the case, I am however in shock and awe.

how long has this taken you?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by RVTsteve View Post

wow. incredible Max. I figured you had a lot of tequila, but man that is A LOT OF TEQUILA! and not even the bunkered bottles. killer. where to start? what to drink? where to keep it all?!

I mean we've all seen the massive whiskey stashes of fellow SB'ers but it's often multiples of several bottlings, there are no duplicates here. I'd say I'm speechless but that's apparently not the case, I am however in shock and awe.

how long has this taken you?
    The collection is now around 400 bottles without duplicates. There's about 50 bourbons and 60 scotches in there along with about 70-80 bunkered tequilas as well...that are not pictured.

I often run into the same problem of what to drink, but tequila is so complex that I really have a good choice of what fits my mood. I'm not here to bash on bourbon because I've learned a lot from this place and sometimes what suits my mood is definitely bourbon, but tequila has so many factors that can change the flavor. With tequila it's:

1. Terroir - Where is it grown/harvested - Altitude & water source
    2. Age of the agave (8-12 years)
    3. How is it cooked (& for how long)?
    4. How is it crushed/milled?
    5. Type of yeast & length of fermentation
    6. Number of distillations/type of still
    7. Type of barrel used
    8. How long it is aged

There's so many factors that it produces drinks that you might never think are related. It can range from green and pine filled like a gin, to extremely woody like an 18+ year old whiskey. After drinking 400+ (and still having 100+ more to taste/review) I still get surprised by some of the flavors that I get.

The collection, in all honesty, has taken me about 2 years. I long enjoyed tequila before that, but in the last 2 years it has gone from 30 to 400+. People who are in the Twin Cities are welcome to join me for a tasting. sob0728 or whatever his name is on here (who I've known for 25 years) comes over often to taste whiskeys or tequilas. With all that's available, I'm always glad to share. I really enjoyed spreading the knowledge and love of this oft misunderstood spirit.

Guru
    I need to make a trip out to your neck of the woods Mr. Tequila Tourist!

Thanks for your help and the introductions made to some wonderful agave.
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 06-26-2013 at 20:44.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    I need to make a trip out to your neck of the woods Mr. Tequila Tourist!

Thanks for your help and the introductions made to some wonderful agave.
    If you're ever in the Twin Cities, you're welcome to stop by. Lord knows that I have enough to share.

Virtuoso

I'm very surprised that no one here likes Sangrita (I asked about it here over a year ago and didn't get a single reply). Or perhaps you just never heard of it. I recommend giving it a try, it's a very good companion to tequila IMO.