Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 48 of 90 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Guru

Re: Tequila Forum

Quote Originally Posted by gblick View Post
    I'm very surprised that no one here likes Sangrita (I asked about it here over a year ago and didn't get a single reply). Or perhaps you just never heard of it. I recommend giving it a try, it's a very good companion to tequila IMO.
    I have tended to associate sangrita as something to drink when drinking shots of the kind of tequila that is perhaps not primarily intended for sipping. I like it fine in the right situation but it is generally not something I have when sipping a nice reposado or anejo or reposado tequila after dinner. I tend to think of these types of sipping tequila along the same lines of drinking a quality bourbon. I am not likely to drink a spicey drink not far removed from bloody mary mix with a nice pour of PHC or BTAC bourbon either!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

I'm not a fan of bloody marys or tomato juice in general. Sangrita does nothing for me. If I want something salty to cleanse the palate, I just go with corn chips.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Advanced Taster

Seems like the only time I see Sangrita is when watching Rick Bayless. I tried it once but didn't find myself in the mood, although I think it could go well with a spicy meal, and of course it's fun to see several little glasses lined up.

Advanced Taster

Hey Max, seeing your awesome assortment of bottles yesterday and thinking about your mention that it's pretty much a lot by lot thing made me wonder--how do you determine what to buy? Do you try get the low down on a lot first, or do you just buy a bottle and later get more from the same lot if you really liked it? (Do they even let you specify lot number when ordering online?)

Virtuoso

Actually though, the more authentic sangrita recipes had no tomato at all. But I did use tomato juice in my sangrita recipes that I came up with, and I enjoyed it even alongside the very high end extra-aged anejos that I loved sipping on, not just the blancos like most folks who enjoy sangrita.

Maybe I just wasn't a true tequila drinker, as I've totally switched over from tequila to bourbon (6 years ago).

So now I know why nobody replied before.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoldBully View Post
    Hey Max, seeing your awesome assortment of bottles yesterday and thinking about your mention that it's pretty much a lot by lot thing made me wonder--how do you determine what to buy? Do you try get the low down on a lot first, or do you just buy a bottle and later get more from the same lot if you really liked it? (Do they even let you specify lot number when ordering online?)
    Consistency can be an issue, but it's generally not a huge difference. With some specific brands it is, but not for most. And most brands don't put a lot number on the bottle so it makes it tough to know for sure. So, the answer to your question is kind of difficult.

1. I try to do a little research if I can regarding the lot or generation of the bottle.
    2. I look at reviews and when they are dated. Brands switch NOMs at times and that generally makes the biggest difference because it often means a new master distiller and water source (and maybe cooking/shredding method)
    3. Sometimes I just buy a bottle and pray for the best.

There's not really a single answer. There's only a certain amount of research that can be done because only some online stores list or will tell you want lot you're buying. I generally buy what intrigues me and if I like it, I can buy more...especially if I find a good price.

Enthusiast

Since we're showing off tequila stashes, I had to get my beauties out for some pics.

Left to right:
    -Jose Cuervo Anejo, 2004 (same juice as JCRF 2004)
    -Denton Chinaco green label blanco
    -Casa Noble Anejo, original "basket weave" bottle
    -Casa Noble Crystal, early Vamonos bottles
    -1921 blanco, leather strap bottle
    -El Tesoro Paradiso, foil top bottle
    -Casa Noble single barrel Anejo
    -El Tesoro blancos, white label
    -Tapatio Excelencia
    -Tapatio Blanco signed by Carlos Camerena
    -Porfidio single barrel anejo, standard and mega size bottles
    -Los Abuelos blanco and anejo, known in US as Fortaleza, lote #1!
    -7 Leguas D'antano

IMG_3450.JPGIMG_3448.JPGIMG_3449.JPG

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Yep, tequila is made from the Blue Weber Agave species. It is green, but so is KY blue grass. Just a little more blue than others. That's a nice collection of bottles. I've had them all except for Comalteco. It's a Cofradia product that is only sold in MX. I can probably tell you what it tastes like though since NOM1137 pumps out a lot of brands and only a few have different aging methods. My rankings would be:

1. 1921 RE
    2. Don Julio 1942
    3. Clase Azul - for the sweet tooth if the mood is right
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Attachment 15855

A photo op from about 4 months ago. Added more since then, but it's the best picture I have of all of the children. It only includes single bottles and not the bunkered ones.

can't argue with that ranking.

Comalteco was being sold in several "stands" throughout Puerto Vallarta. My son, who was 14 at the time, enjoyed a few tastings--since it was "OK with dad".

THAT'S A TEQUILA ARMY!!
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by luther.r View Post
    Since we're showing off tequila stashes, I had to get my beauties out for some pics.

Left to right:
    -Jose Cuervo Anejo, 2004 (same juice as JCRF 2004)
    -Denton Chinaco green label blanco
    -Casa Noble Anejo, original "basket weave" bottle
    -Casa Noble Crystal, early Vamonos bottles
    -1921 blanco, leather strap bottle
    -El Tesoro Paradiso, foil top bottle
    -Casa Noble single barrel Anejo
    -El Tesoro blancos, white label
    -Tapatio Excelencia
    -Tapatio Blanco signed by Carlos Camerena
    -Porfidio single barrel anejo, standard and mega size bottles
    -Los Abuelos blanco and anejo, known in US as Fortaleza, lote #1!
    -7 Leguas D'antano

IMG_3450.JPGIMG_3448.JPGIMG_3449.JPG
    You've got some gems there. I've still never been able to get my hands on the DÁntano. The Los Abuelos Lote 1 would be sweet to have too.

Enthusiast

picked up a couple bottles today.

First was a Campeon anejo on sale. After the recent write up on the K&L spirits blog I thought I'd give it a shot and it was the same price as the blanco. I like how light it is compared to other anejos. I love barrel influence in general but this is not your normally wood influenced aged tequila. Very subtle. I like it but I think I'll like the blanco even better with the same profile but less mellow.

I also found what my research from the sources posted here tell me is a 2nd generation 1921 NOM1079 Repo. Green wax, no pull tab, hand written Lote, San Jose, CA address. Thanks for the resources everyone, otherwise I wouldn't have known what to look for! Haven't opened it yet, but I plan to later this evening. There's another on the shelf I'll have to go back for later.
    IMG_1320.jpgIMG_1321.jpg