Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 49 of 92 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Advanced Taster

Re: Tequila Forum

Lately I have started thinking about combining multiple tequilas in the same glass. I often do this sort of thing with bourbon and other spirits, but rarely tequila. Tonight, though, I mixed up a drink that included a couple that were not doing it for me on their own (Espolon repo and JC tradicional repo) and was happy with the results. But I was even happier after adding a splash of mezcal (Scorpion 1-year anejo). Now I am thinking of trying Vida and Scorpion together, with the idea that the leather and rubber notes of the Scorpion will compliment the citrus hit and other high notes of the Vida. Hopefully this is not the sort of heresy that will trigger eternal damnation.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoldBully View Post
    Lately I have started thinking about combining multiple tequilas in the same glass. I often do this sort of thing with bourbon and other spirits, but rarely tequila. Tonight, though, I mixed up a drink that included a couple that were not doing it for me on their own (Espolon repo and JC tradicional repo) and was happy with the results. But I was even happier after adding a splash of mezcal (Scorpion 1-year anejo). Now I am thinking of trying Vida and Scorpion together, with the idea that the leather and rubber notes of the Scorpion will compliment the citrus hit and other high notes of the Vida. Hopefully this is not the sort of heresy that will trigger eternal damnation.
    Here is the single most important rule to follow when drinking tequila, bourbon, scotch:

Drink it however it tastes best to you...period.

Every palate is different and you're the one paying the money for it. I'm sure that a long time ago, someone wanted to rip someone for combing tequila, grenadine and OJ. If you find something that you like, enjoy it and don't let anyone else tell you that you shouldn't.

Aside from the pep talk, I've never heard anyone saying that it's wrong to vat or mix tequila with other spirits. Salud!
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Guru

Pretty much were cocktails live. I have had many a cocktail that mixed liquors to great success. Just think of it as a cocktail with no juice, bitters or other annoying additions!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

Oh, there was juice. And specially shaped ice. And several other elements--you have no idea the extent of depravity. It is always nice to reconfirm that tequila folks tend to be much more open-minded than the single malt neat-or-die set. Although to be candid I have sometimes really enjoyed watching their faces contort while I pour some sort of Ardbeg into a woody bourbon, add a little mescal, then top up with juice.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoldBully View Post
    Oh, there was juice. And specially shaped ice. And several other elements--you have no idea the extent of depravity. It is always nice to reconfirm that tequila folks tend to be much more open-minded than the single malt neat-or-die set. Although to be candid I have sometimes really enjoyed watching their faces contort while I pour some sort of Ardbeg into a woody bourbon, add a little mescal, then top up with juice.
    Ha. That's outstanding. I drink whiskey too and enjoy it with about 1/3 of an ice cube. Lower the temp a bit and add a little water to lower the proof from the 107-130 ones. Woodford neat is quite tasty. For me, it's all about mood. That's the biggest determining factor of what and how I drink something. The others are food and company.

Enthusiast

Broke into my 1921 repo I mentioned earlier. Literally broke into it as the top of the cork stuck to the wax and broke off and the rest of the cork is slowly disintegrating. I don't think I have anything that will fit the wide mouth, but so far it's okay. besides that I love the wide mouth bottle, I just stick my nose right in there and take it all in. The nose is just clean, sweet agave with a touch of wood and butterscotch. The agave carries through into the palate and takes over with a touch of peppery spice and an slightly earthy finish.

After my first taste last night I knew I had to go back for the other I saw on the shelf. Glad I now have a back up because I don't know how long this one is going to last.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by RVTsteve View Post
    Broke into my 1921 repo I mentioned earlier. Literally broke into it as the top of the cork stuck to the wax and broke off and the rest of the cork is slowly disintegrating. I don't think I have anything that will fit the wide mouth, but so far it's okay. besides that I love the wide mouth bottle, I just stick my nose right in there and take it all in. The nose is just clean, sweet agave with a touch of wood and butterscotch. The agave carries through into the palate and takes over with a touch of peppery spice and an slightly earthy finish.

After my first taste last night I knew I had to go back for the other I saw on the shelf. Glad I now have a back up because I don't know how long this one is going to last.
    Whenever that happens to me, I just find an empty from another bottle and use that to keep it from spoiling. 1921 repo is worth savoring for sure. Great profile and agave/barrel balance.

Connoisseur

Made margaritas with Tres Agaves Blanco last night. It can be found locally for just a shade over $20 and is great for citrus mixing and even a light sipper.

http://tequilatourist.blogspot.com/2...es-blanco.html

Connoisseur

Tried Partida Elegante on Monday. Freaking amazing, Bubblegum cotton candy tasting awesomeness tequilla. A bourbon lovers tequilla for sure. But holy crap it's expensive.
    Bourbon only requires a glass.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by brettckeen View Post
    Tried Partida Elegante on Monday. Freaking amazing, Bubblegum cotton candy tasting awesomeness tequilla. A bourbon lovers tequilla for sure. But holy crap it's expensive.
    I'm not a big fan of the Partida line overall, but they age things really well. The anejo is good and the Elegante is great. The blanco is really quite bland.