Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 53 of 91 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Guru

Re: Tequila Forum

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Oh, I see. Fortaleza is very hard to find around here too which is why I tend to get it via mailorder. If you do find the Fortaleza blanco though I would highly recommend getting it, as it's one of those superb blancos that I truly enjoy drinking straight up. Its charms are subtle but rewarding and worth revisiting over and over again. I'm not very skilled at tasting notes when it comes to tequila but I'm sure Max Power has reviewed it or will have something to share about it. And very elegant looking bottles too, eh?
    If I see the Blanco I will certainly consider adding it as a sipping tequila. The package is indeed nice but generally the contents drive the spending!

Although interestingly tequila is one brand where the bottle can contain worthwhile contents and still be worth showing off without spending a fortune. Kah, Clase Azul and Milagro, with both the Select Barrel Reserve and Tequila Romance bottles, come to mind!

The Tequila Romance bottle is a personal favorite!

milagro-romance.jpg
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    If I see the Blanco I will certainly consider adding it as a sipping tequila. The package is indeed nice but generally the contents drive the spending!

Although interestingly tequila is one brand where the bottle can contain worthwhile contents and still be worth showing off without spending a fortune. Kah, Clase Azul and Milagro, with both the Select Barrel Reserve and Tequila Romance bottles, come to mind!

The Tequila Romance bottle is a personal favorite!

milagro-romance.jpg
    So many tequila bottles have fabulous designs and the Fortaleza is certainly one of my favorites due to its "traditional" look and the cool agave heart cork. The Clase Azul is very nice too. I rather doubt you'll be disappointed if you buy the Fortaleza blanco, as it has been hailed in a number of competitions and spirits magazines as being among the very finest blancos on the market. It truly is a traditionally-made small batch spirit, so there should be plenty for you to enjoy, though don't expect to be bowled over when you first sample it. It's the subtleties in the snifter that I appreciate most about it.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Alphanumeric View Post
    You're killing me, Max. Those are some killer prices. For the Kahlo and Reserva, what expressions would you recommend? Kahlo sounds like it's more up my alley.
    I really liked the blanco and anejo, but everything listed is a killer value. The Reserva repo is the most well rounded to me. Cool bottle too.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

I'll try to cover a lot of stuff in this post as well.

El Grado = made at NOM 1526, which makes some really awesome juices. I bought 6 bottles. They'll be here early next week and I'll let you know what I think.
    Reserva de Mexico = Really easy on the esophagus. A very smooth and somewhat sweeter taste, but it's done very well.
    Frida Kahlo = A bit more vegetal profile and the aging really rounds it out nicely. Was previously $40/50/60-70 on the expressions, but at these prices, it's an absolute steal. Probably the most complex tequila of the group.
    El Tequileño = A personal favorite for sipping and mixing. The repo is a go-to standard for me. I've bought over a dozen of the blanco and repo since they got them in. I need to keep the stock to give to friends and for parties because it's a real crowd pleaser.
    1519 = Have no idea, but at 12/13/14, I'll try all of them.

For Fortaleza, they vary a bit by batch because it is a very artesenal brand. From what I've heard (from people I truat quite a bit), the Lot 16 is one of the best blancos produced in the past decade. Really old school and delicious. Mine just arrived yesterday and I'll probably dip into it tonight and try to post if it's worth all the hype.

Regardless, Hi Time has great prices on just about everything. It's just sales like this that prompt the time to buy. I'll remind you all in November, but they have a 10% off sale early in the month and I stock up on some higher end stuff then. Glendronach 12 for $36...sweet. I generally pool up with friends and spend $1000+ on that order. It's a fun time.

Advanced Taster

Well I missed my order today due to work but anticipate a wealth of liquor tomorrow. It sounds like I picked out the right ones, those being the El Grado (2), Reserva de Mexico reposado, and the Kahlo blanco (would have gotten the añejo, but I was too slow). Also got Matusalem Gran Reserva, Barbancourt 5 Star, Clement VSOP, Dickel, and a handle of El Ultimo.

Fortaleza really is excellent, from the perspective of a novice. It's almost too bad I happened to get a Lot 16, since my experiences likely won't get better than this. Almost.

Guru

Well I missed my order today due to work but anticipate a wealth of liquor tomorrow. It sounds like I picked out the right ones, those being the El Grado (2), Reserva de Mexico reposado, and the Kahlo blanco (would have gotten the añejo, but I was too slow). Also got Matusalem Gran Reserva, Barbancourt 5 Star, Clement VSOP, Dickel, and a handle of El Ultimo.

Fortaleza really is excellent, from the perspective of a novice. It's almost too bad I happened to get a Lot 16, since my experiences likely won't get better than this. Almost.
    Glad you liked the Fortaleza. It really is superb. I managed to miss out on the Kahlo anejo too but scored the blanco and reposado, the latter of which was not showing as available online but apparently was still floating around in the back room when I happened to call to add additional items to my order. I also picked up two bottles of the El Grado, two bottles of Muchote reposado and a Fortaleza reposado which I haven't tried yet. Now all I need is an extra liver and I'm all set!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

I get to pick up my shipment today as well. Really looking forward to trying the El Grado. I'm glad that a few of you were able to jump on this before they all sold out.

Advanced Taster

Connoisseur

Salud! I love when Hi Time makes special offerings.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Picked up a Fortaleza anejo today. Didn't see the blanco as an option and the reposado was out of stock.

Passed on an El Tesoro anejo (NOM 1139, was the only one on the shelf. Same place that makes Excellia which I like and El Tesoro used to have a decent reputation, not sure now).
    Went back and picked up the El Tesoro anejo today on a bit of a whim.

Is the lot number for the Fortaleza you note this hand written number on the back? Does that make this a lot 17?

Fortaleza back.jpeg
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum