Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 73 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Virtuoso

Re: Tequila Forum

Dinner at Mezcal in Worcester last night - first taste of a Clase Azul Blanco. Wow. Never thought tequila could be like this, it just blew me away. Buttered toffee, creamy/malty agave. I actually ordered the Reposado, but the server made an error ... I'm glad she did because I wouldn't have tried the blanco otherwise.
    Mark

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    I'd have to say it was a little muted in the mouthfeel department - expected given the ABV I suppose. I rather enjoyed it - was expecting a little more bite but was still nicely agave-flavored and was well rounded by the light wood influence.

I plan on hitting those samples pretty hard now that our weather is starting to warm up.
    Repos have a lighter feel for sure. I'm a sucker for the perfect balance of the agave and the barrel. Blancos can get to green and/or spicy...aņejos can get to syrupy or woody. A good repo hits my sweet spot with the perfect balance of both. Stepping back from higher proof spirits can be a bit of a challenge, but I like how tequila challenges every part of the palate. You'll have to let me know what your favorites are and I can make more recommendations from there.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Novice

love this passage from Tom Robbins-
    “Now tequila may be the favored beverage of outlaws but that doesn't mean it gives them preferential treatment. In fact, tequila probably has betrayed as many outlaws as has the central nervous system and dissatisfied wives. Tequila, scorpion honey, harsh dew of the doglands, essence of Aztec, crema de cacti; tequila, oily and thermal like the sun in solution; tequila, liquid geometry of passion; Tequila, the buzzard god who copulates in midair with the ascending souls of dying virgins; tequila, firebug in the house of good taste; O tequila, savage water of sorcery, what confusion and mischief your sly, rebellious drops do generate!”

Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Took Max's recommendation on a good starter bottle... so picked up an El Jimador Repo locally to give tequila a try. Very nice, having it again tonight to confirm that I may need to explore this spirit more. Yup, time to make some more room in the bar.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by KJND View Post
    Took Max's recommendation on a good starter bottle... so picked up an El Jimador Repo locally to give tequila a try. Very nice, having it again tonight to confirm that I may need to explore this spirit more. Yup, time to make some more room in the bar.
    You and I may have many conversations in the future...

Enthusiast

Not a huge fan of Tequlia, but at the Binny's get together recently they had some samples of Toro dorado I just tried the Anejo version because it was the darkest...very smooth,I was quite surprised, went home with one.Had another pour of it yesterday over some ice,quite tasty,thought the wife would really like it..not too much, just in a margarita.
    Everyday my spirit seems to find its way to the bottom of a glass...... Don

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by dSculptor View Post
    Not a huge fan of Tequlia, but at the Binny's get together recently they had some samples of Toro dorado I just tried the Anejo version because it was the darkest...very smooth,I was quite surprised, went home with one.Had another pour of it yesterday over some ice,quite tasty,thought the wife would really like it..not too much, just in a margarita.
    It takes some getting used to if you're a whiskey drinker because it's a completely different profile. The fact that you're in Wisconsin gives you access to everything. The entire tequila world can be shipped to your door with no sales tax. I'd highly recommend www.hitimewine.net for tequila purchases. PM me if you want some recommendations. If you like bourbon and liked aņejo tequila, I'd definitely recommend Don Pilar Aņejo. Extremely easy to drink and it's aged in virgin oak instead of used barrels which gives it a whiskey like quality that is rich and delicious.

Enthusiast

Hey Max, thanks for the site,looks to be a good one,quite a selection.Trying new or revisting old spirits,could and can be very dangerous for me, the bourbon sickness already is a drain on the pocket book, I also used to enjoy Rum, which I also just revisited,control,control,control.However, I just had a bloody this morning with the new tequila,wow what a change up from vodka, I also just recently tried one with bourbon,also quite delicious.
    Everyday my spirit seems to find its way to the bottom of a glass...... Don

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by dSculptor View Post
    Hey Max, thanks for the site,looks to be a good one,quite a selection.Trying new or revisting old spirits,could and can be very dangerous for me, the bourbon sickness already is a drain on the pocket book, I also used to enjoy Rum, which I also just revisited,control,control,control.However, I just had a bloody this morning with the new tequila,wow what a change up from vodka, I also just recently tried one with bourbon,also quite delicious.
    With tequila it's called a Bloody Maria!

At least with tequila, there's lots of good options for $25-40...and you don't have the scour the earth to find them. It's why I'm not all that interested in drinking bourbon anymore. Anything hard to find isn't worth drinking when you can trade it for a crap load of other things that are nearly or just as good.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    It's why I'm not all that interested in drinking bourbon anymore. Anything hard to find isn't worth drinking when you can trade it for a crap load of other things that are nearly or just as good.
    Max, it sounds like your priorities in Bourbonia are all fouled up.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama