Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 91 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Guru

Re: Tequila Forum

Thanks Max for the buying selection advice...this is a new spirit to explore. Last summer I started looking at rums and found them quite enjoyable as sippers so these Mexican spirits are another adventure.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Thanks Max for the buying selection advice...this is a new spirit to explore. Last summer I started looking at rums and found them quite enjoyable as sippers so these Mexican spirits are another adventure.
    If you like rums, then you'd love Riazul. I didn't know what flavors you liked best. Riazul is like Christmas in an ultra smooth spirit. Sweet, with spice and no harsh burn. And that's the cheapest I've ever seen it. It's kind of hard to find.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Guru

When you said "a ton of cinnamon taste." I said to myself...yum! Will look for it and few of the others you mentioned. Much appreciated.

Connoisseur

Tried Ambhar Anejo tonight for the first time. It's like bourbon and tequila had a baby. Nice vanilla entry, lots of oak flavors and a nice, long smokey finish. Reminds me a lot of Don Abraham. Good stuff.

Virtuoso

I came across more tequilas while looking for bourbon dusties, and referenced this thread when I saw some Chinacos. I brought home a Chinaco Anejo imported by Robert Denton. It wasn't exactly cheap at $55, but I took the dive anyway.

The cork fell apart instantly. As I tried to clear it away, I found it to be moist, and feared the juice might have been corrupted. I was a little salty having to decant into a bourbon bottle (I kind of like the Chinaco teardrop), but I filtered it with a coffee filter and it tastes...

...really, really nice. It's very delicate, with nice vanilla flavors and oaky agave. I do think I maybe would have done better to grab the Reposado (there were a bunch of them on the shelf).

I went through a short tequila phase in the early '00s, and I drank mostly Chinaco and Herradura, but pretty much stayed away from Anejo. I'm glad I bought this, it's terrific stuff, but the vanilla is a bit much, and after a pour or two, I'm feeling the urge to get knocked around a bit by a big ol' bourbon.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Virtuoso

Now that I've read through this whole thread, I feel like I need to rethink my stance on Tequila.

Like many people, I only know Tequila from my younger days of bar hopping and doing shots. The brands I recall are El Toro, 1800, Two Fingers, Jose Cuervo and Monte Alban Mezcal............ all of which contributed to my "distaste" for this spirit... I've had some serious hangovers due to all of them.

I'd like to try tequila/mezcal again. What would you guys in the know recommend to get me started? I tend to like Scotch on the peaty/smokey side, and Bourbon on the spicey/sweet side, if that helps.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I came across more tequilas while looking for bourbon dusties, and referenced this thread when I saw some Chinacos. I brought home a Chinaco Anejo imported by Robert Denton. It wasn't exactly cheap at $55, but I took the dive anyway.

The cork fell apart instantly. As I tried to clear it away, I found it to be moist, and feared the juice might have been corrupted. I was a little salty having to decant into a bourbon bottle (I kind of like the Chinaco teardrop), but I filtered it with a coffee filter and it tastes...

...really, really nice. It's very delicate, with nice vanilla flavors and oaky agave. I do think I maybe would have done better to grab the Reposado (there were a bunch of them on the shelf).

I went through a short tequila phase in the early '00s, and I drank mostly Chinaco and Herradura, but pretty much stayed away from Anejo. I'm glad I bought this, it's terrific stuff, but the vanilla is a bit much, and after a pour or two, I'm feeling the urge to get knocked around a bit by a big ol' bourbon.
    I love tequila, but I find that I prefer to sip a bunch of different ones in an evening rather than focus on one the entire night. Chinaco anejo is really good, but also really sweet. I can see exactly what you're talking about.

Connoisseur

Dos Lunas Blanco - Fresh & Clean. Decent.
    Buen Amigo Reposado - Big time wood and dark chocolate taste. Not my thing, but OK.
    Ley .925 Anejo - Good stuff.

That's tonight's lineup.

Virtuoso

Ok.... since reading over this entire thread, I decided to spend some cash on Tequila.

I bought Cazadores Reposado, El Jimador Reposado, Patron Reposado and Don Julio Blanco. I love them all!... Damn you, guys!

I find that the Cazadores is the most different, in a good way. Not the most expensive (Don Julio wins that title), but it has a nice citrus nose and dry, earthy taste that really appeals to me.

The only Mezcal I can find is Monte Alban. I think I would really like the better Mezcals, as I love Islay Scotch.... I have a thing for smokey spirits.

What do you suggest I try, as far as Mezcals?

Also, what is your take on 1800 Reposado? Don Julio Reposado? Cabo Wabo (in general)? Are Anejos worth spending the extra cash on?

I think I may have found a new addiction.

Virtuoso

Alright guys, if you had to choose: Don Julio Anejo or Dos Lunas Anejo?