Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 91 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Guru

Re: Tequila Forum

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    Ok.... since reading over this entire thread, I decided to spend some cash on Tequila.

I bought Cazadores Reposado, El Jimador Reposado, Patron Reposado and Don Julio Blanco. I love them all!... Damn you, guys!

I find that the Cazadores is the most different, in a good way. Not the most expensive (Don Julio wins that title), but it has a nice citrus nose and dry, earthy taste that really appeals to me.

The only Mezcal I can find is Monte Alban. I think I would really like the better Mezcals, as I love Islay Scotch.... I have a thing for smokey spirits.

What do you suggest I try, as far as Mezcals?

Also, what is your take on 1800 Reposado? Don Julio Reposado? Cabo Wabo (in general)? Are Anejos worth spending the extra cash on?

I think I may have found a new addiction.
    You're in a shitload of trouble, brother. Just like me!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Enthusiast

Ok.... since reading over this entire thread, I decided to spend some cash on Tequila.

I bought Cazadores Reposado, El Jimador Reposado, Patron Reposado and Don Julio Blanco. I love them all!... Damn you, guys!

I find that the Cazadores is the most different, in a good way. Not the most expensive (Don Julio wins that title), but it has a nice citrus nose and dry, earthy taste that really appeals to me.

The only Mezcal I can find is Monte Alban. I think I would really like the better Mezcals, as I love Islay Scotch.... I have a thing for smokey spirits.

Also, what is your take on 1800 Reposado? Don Julio Reposado? Cabo Wabo (in general)? Are Anejos worth spending the extra cash on?

Personally, I'm not too into reposados. I'm usually either in the mood for the in-your-face agaveness of a blanco, or the elegance and oak of a nice anejo, but not in between. I know I'm in the minority with this opinion though.

I'd say 1800 products are good mixers but I wouldn't sip them. Cabo Wabo is pretty boring. Don Julio, to me, is kind of the EC18 of the tequila world. You can't go wrong and it's consistently good, but there's better stuff out there if you want to hunt and/or spend the money.

I'd suggest you find some Del Maguey mezcal. All their varieties are spectacular.

Guru

I was reading up thread Max's recommendations for on-line shopping and was amazed at the price differences from one store to the next on some items. Then I stumbled upon K & L Wine Merchants and found most of their prices and shipping costs quite reasonable, if not excellent. Muchote Reposado was $25. Fortaleza Blanco is selling for $45 (Binny's sells for $65!). Even some of their single malts were priced incredibly well: Lagavulin 16 is $65/Hi Time $70/Binny's $80, Ardbeg 10 is $43/Hi Time $46/Binny's $55 and Ardbeg Uigeadail is $59/Hi Time $59/Binny's $70. When you consider that shipping is $18 for four bottles ($4.50 per bottle), you still come out way ahead. Not sure how shipping costs compare with Hi Time Wine Cellars, as their site doesn't list rates like K & L does, but K & L seems like a good option for those considering on-line shopping. One disappointment for me was that K & L doesn't seem to carry the Corrido line which I was hoping to explore. Thought I'd pass along this info.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Fortaleza Blanco is selling for $45
    That is an incredible price on the Fortaleza.

Connoisseur

Every 1800 tequila is trash. Just like gasoline. Don Julio Reposado is AWESOME. A nice aged version of the blanco with mellowing and still a nice spice kick. Go get that one. Cabo Wabo is fine, but is overpriced.

I see your liquor store has the standard selection. Do you ever buy booze online?
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

I was reading up thread Max's recommendations for on-line shopping and was amazed at the price differences from one store to the next on some items. Then I stumbled upon K & L Wine Merchants and found most of their prices and shipping costs quite reasonable, if not excellent. Muchote Reposado was $25. Fortaleza Blanco is selling for $45 (Binny's sells for $65!). Even some of their single malts were priced incredibly well: Lagavulin 16 is $65/Hi Time $70/Binny's $80, Ardbeg 10 is $43/Hi Time $46/Binny's $55 and Ardbeg Uigeadail is $59/Hi Time $59/Binny's $70. When you consider that shipping is $18 for four bottles ($4.50 per bottle), you still come out way ahead. Not sure how shipping costs compare with Hi Time Wine Cellars, as their site doesn't list rates like K & L does, but K & L seems like a good option for those considering on-line shopping. One disappointment for me was that K & L doesn't seem to carry the Corrido line which I was hoping to explore. Thought I'd pass along this info.
    Hi Time is about $36-40 for 12 bottles. About as good as K&L on lesser quantities.

Mission has the best prices on Fortaleza...$40 for the blanco.

You really do have to search for the best price everywhere. I've probably ordered tequila from 7 different places. www.zeetequila.com has the biggest selection and some good prices on some things. Their shipping is the most expensive though.

When factoring in the shipping, you also have to remember that you pay no sales/liquor tax. The amount you save there is generally offset by the shipping...but you also don't have to drive anywhere. I love the online ordering.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Hi Time is about $36-40 for 12 bottles. About as good as K&L on lesser quantities.

Mission has the best prices on Fortaleza...$40 for the blanco.

You really do have to search for the best price everywhere. I've probably ordered tequila from 7 different places. www.zeetequila.com has the biggest selection and some good prices on some things. Their shipping is the most expensive though.

When factoring in the shipping, you also have to remember that you pay no sales/liquor tax. The amount you save there is generally offset by the shipping...but you also don't have to drive anywhere. I love the online ordering.
    As you mentioned, the shipping costs are no biggie because you save on the sales tax (and no gas), so it's a wash. I like on-line ordering too and find that it's the only way to get stuff that's unavailable in my area. Looking forward to my first tequila order.

Connoisseur

As you mentioned, the shipping costs are no biggie because you save on the sales tax (and no gas), so it's a wash. I like on-line ordering too and find that it's the only way to get stuff that's unavailable in my area. Looking forward to my first tequila order.
    Where did you order from...and what did you buy?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    Alright guys, if you had to choose: Don Julio Anejo or Dos Lunas Anejo?
    Eeeep! Never heard of Don Lunas..and I wasnt impressed with Don Julio Anejo. So...maybe I would go with Don Lunas just to try something different.
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Where did you order from...and what did you buy?
    I haven't placed my tequila order yet but may do so today or tomorrow. I'm going with Hi Time and looking at picking up Fortaleza Blanco and Fortaleza Reposado, both of which are available to me here in Chicago but at much higher prices, even when shipping is factored in. Others on my short list include Corrido, Muchote and Dos Lunas (all unavailable here). Casa Noble, Chinaco, Arette and Siete Leguas are somewhat higher on my "want" list than those last three (with the exception perhaps of Corrido) but can be purchased at Binny's here in Chicago for comparable prices when Binny's runs their periodic 15% off all spirits sale. Given that it makes more sense to buy four or five bottles than two when calculating shipping, I might as well go for stuff I can't get here first and get the others later. (Also, my Mexican buddies are planning a huge party with live music, a goat roast, etc. Memorial Day weekend and I'd like to treat them to stuff they've never had before.) One thing I'm wrestling with is whether to go with blancos or reposados with all of these brands. I must admit that I have always favored reposados and anejos and have generally viewed (most) blancos as tequila better suited for mixers. But El Tesoro Platinum changed all that and now I'm craving the straight agave-in-your-face tequilas which has me re-thinking my erroneous attitude towards blancos. I fully expect Fortaleza Blanco to deliver what I'm after but with all the other brands, I just don't know.

In the past, I used to but single malts from Shoppers Vineyard but they seem to have suddenly terminated out-of-state sales, so I'm now looking elsewhere.
    Last edited by unclebunk; 05-02-2012 at 07:07.