Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 89 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Connoisseur

Tequila Forum

I saw that the old tequila thread was locked and thought it would be a good idea to open up a new one. I'm fairly new to bourbon, but experienced with tequila. With so many of the tequilas being aged in old bourbon barrels, there can be a lot of similarities found in specific tequila brands.

Don Pilar is one that specifically comes to mind that has a bourbon nose and finish.

Does anyone else here love the agave juice as much as me? And what's your favorite brand to sip?
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Guru

Re: Tequila Forum

I'm a fan too and like quite a few different brands but my regulars are El Tesoro Reposado and Herradura Reposado. When I'm drinking loads and don't want to hurt the head and the wallet, I go for Cazadores Reposado and Cazadores Anejo. There are plenty of others but those are the ones that I tend to replace the most.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Enthusiast

I enjoy Sotol, Mezcal & Tequila.

I lean towards Mezcal for the richer, smokier flavors than what you get in Tequila. I like Sotol for it's softer, more refined flavors (tends to be slightly lower ABV as well).

My faves are Del Mageuy Mezcals (Chichicapa especially). I like Vida as well for a value entry to premium Mezcal.

Sombra is a pretty smokey mid-shelfer as well with some great flavors and decent ABV.

I've actually found that most Anejos seem "over woody" - despite my love for aged spirits, most of the very aged Agave drinks get a bit rough. Reposado seems to hit the right spot for me.

I really like Milagro, Gran Centanario (I actually really like the hibiscus infused version - which, admittedly is like enjoying Red Gag, but it's actually enjoyable to me), Herradura and Ahmbar isn't bad (but kinda pricey). My favorite cheap one is El Jimador - all three versions are good.

Connoisseur

I will say do really like Tequila but have not ventured out very much. Luther o this board provided some good recommendations to me several weeks ago and plan to go grab some soon. I tend to keep Tequila Ocho in the house to drink when I want Tequila. Although boring, I do still enjoy Patron Reposado when drinking out.

Connoisseur

I just found the El Jimador last week too, my wife's the tequila drinker. Imported by our friends at Brown-Foreman.... But I like the taste. Blanco is almost white dogish in a good way.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    I enjoy Sotol, Mezcal & Tequila.

I lean towards Mezcal for the richer, smokier flavors than what you get in Tequila. I like Sotol for it's softer, more refined flavors (tends to be slightly lower ABV as well).

My faves are Del Mageuy Mezcals (Chichicapa especially). I like Vida as well for a value entry to premium Mezcal.

Sombra is a pretty smokey mid-shelfer as well with some great flavors and decent ABV.

I've actually found that most Anejos seem "over woody" - despite my love for aged spirits, most of the very aged Agave drinks get a bit rough. Reposado seems to hit the right spot for me.

I really like Milagro, Gran Centanario (I actually really like the hibiscus infused version - which, admittedly is like enjoying Red Gag, but it's actually enjoyable to me), Herradura and Ahmbar isn't bad (but kinda pricey). My favorite cheap one is El Jimador - all three versions are good.
    I'll agree with you. Although some anejos have great flavor and character, I tend to like reposados a bit more because they hold the agave flavor and spice that I love so much from tequilas.

I need to get into some more mezcals. Sotols are a nice change of pace, but I guess I like the spicy blue agave flavor over the more grassy wild agave.

The best tequilas I have had are:

Corrido
    Penca Azul
    Clase Azul
    Pura vida (for a cheaper one)
    JLP President's (for a real value)

Being in Minnesota, I have to get most of them shipped to me. I wish that good tequila selection was as easy to find as bourbon.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Ejmharris View Post
    I will say do really like Tequila but have not ventured out very much. Luther o this board provided some good recommendations to me several weeks ago and plan to go grab some soon. I tend to keep Tequila Ocho in the house to drink when I want Tequila. Although boring, I do still enjoy Patron Reposado when drinking out.
    Ocho has a very interesting concept in doing "vintage" tequilas, but because they take agave from different areas each vintage, it's impossible to know what you're going to get the next time. One blanco may be great and the next might be awful. I got the Los Mangos Blanco and it does nothing for me. Way to much earth. It almost tastes dirty. The other blanco 2010 vintage is supposed to be almost overly sweet. Interesting concept, but I'm not sure they'll get enough followers willing to risk multiple times at $50+ a bottle.

Nothing wrong with enjoying Patron. One thing that you might want to try is Avion. It's a step more towards a true tequila from Patron, but still has the really clean and smooth characteristic that makes everyone love Patron. Triple distilled tequilas lose a little in the flavor, but gain in smoothness. It's a personal preference thing. I like both.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I rarely drink it but am having some now. It is a mingling I made a few years ago. It is Herradura Reposado, Olmeca Tequila Gold, 4 Copas Blanco, Jose Cuervo Family Reserve and a brand brought to me by a guest whose name (the tequila) I can no longer recall, it was from a holiday he took there. It was very good, gold-colored and soft, not sweetened or cut with sugar alcohol according to the label.

The blend is rounded, soft and malty, with a definite but refined tequila flavor - as refined as good tequila can get, I would say. Only the nose betrays the blending, it is quite neutral, as if the various scents cancelled each other out. But the taste is really good. I tasted very small amounts of the 4 tequilas I still have from the 5 used to make the blend and I truly prefer the blend to any of them.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 04-04-2012 at 19:59.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    I am in complete agreement. I have been into te-kill-ya for almost 20 years now. It was my spirit of choice before bourbon. My favorite doesnt appear to be made anymore. Lapiz Azul was nectar from the gods.

Now days I just have Don Julio reposado and a mini of anejo that i brought back from Mexico. I recently found El Espolon blanco which is sublime for the money...but their repesado is not as good. I am thinking trying to branch out and collect again...but bourbon has my heart and wallet for the moment.
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Bmac View Post
    I am in complete agreement. I have been into te-kill-ya for almost 20 years now. It was my spirit of choice before bourbon. My favorite doesnt appear to be made anymore. Lapiz Azul was nectar from the gods.

Now days I just have Don Julio reposado and a mini of anejo that i brought back from Mexico. I recently found El Espolon blanco which is sublime for the money...but their repesado is not as good. I am thinking trying to branch out and collect again...but bourbon has my heart and wallet for the moment.
    Lapiz changed its name to Lapis. It's still around and is good, but maybe not as good as others in the price range.

Don Julio Repo is a great all around example of a reposado. Pretty much the entire DJ line is fantastic...especially the 1942. I wouldn't run out and get the 70th for the price. It's complex, but it almost fights itself to an extent.

I like Espolon too. In the same price range I think I prefer JLP, but I have to get both shipped. Since it seems like you enjoy reposados, you should really give Muchote a shot. It's $25-30 a bottle and can hold its own with any "ultra-premium" tequila.