Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 20 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Guru

Re: Tequila Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Did your shipment come on Saturday? What did you crack open?
    Yes and no. After waiting around at home until 1:30, hoping the shipment would arrive, I had to leave the house to take my son to his baseball game. My wife returned home one half hour later but the Fed Ex guy showed up literally minutes after I took off, so we missed him and now I have to wait until Tuesday. Made do with loads of Bohemia and the better part of a bottle of Hornitos.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Doing some sampling and reviewing tonight.

Seis Hermanas Blanco
    Reserva de Mexico Anejo
    Corzo Reposado
    Viva Mexico Reposado
    Marques de Valencia Reposado

Good stuff.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

My whiskey shelves have been getting too much love lately, so I decided to pick up a Milagro Barrel Select Reposado this afternoon. I got suckered in by the fancy bottle, but I like the "normal" Milagro, so I figured it was worth $44 + tax to find out. It's very nice tasting.

Question: I noticed a "gurgling" sound when pouring this bottle, and peeked inside the long, thin bottle neck to see a three holed "aerator" in there. Is this standard to include on nice tequila bottles? What is it?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    My whiskey shelves have been getting too much love lately, so I decided to pick up a Milagro Barrel Select Reposado this afternoon. I got suckered in by the fancy bottle, but I like the "normal" Milagro, so I figured it was worth $44 + tax to find out. It's very nice tasting.

Question: I noticed a "gurgling" sound when pouring this bottle, and peeked inside the long, thin bottle neck to see a three holed "aerator" in there. Is this standard to include on nice tequila bottles? What is it?
    A lot of bottles have them. I've never found that it makes that much of a difference.

bunk - did you get the shipment and crack anything open last night?

Guru

The shipment arrived in the early evening and I had commitments that kept me out too late to have a drink when I got home. One thing I will say is that the Fortaleza, Corrido and Dos Lunas bottles are beautiful to look at (especially the Fortaleza) and look wonderful in my glass cabinet. Even the Muchote bottle has a charm of its own, with the emphasis quite obviously geared towards simplicity. I'm really looking forward to sampling all of them and think I'll start with the Fortaleza Blanco and Muchote Reposado tonight. Tomorrow night will be the anejos, Dos Lunas then Corrido as the finale. Funnily enough, this tequila purchase is actually quite reminiscent of the feeling I had when I fell head-long into bourbon, back to the time when my first waking thought of each day was what to sample later that evening. I must be suffering from tequilarexia nervosa!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post

There have been a lot of problems in Mexico with people refilling used bottles, sealing them, and reselling them as new (but with swill inside instead of what's labeled). The plastic thing is supposed to make it more difficult to refill the bottles.

Guru

Max Power (Kevin) gets a free drink for his recommendation of Muchote Reposado. The stuff is truly excellent! A friend and I sat out on the back deck last night and enjoyed a few Mexican beers and a couple of pours of the Muchote and we were both really impressed with the amazingly big nose and terrific finish. But what struck us both most was how viscous this tequila is--silky and rich with legs longer than Elle Macpherson's. And what a beautiful balance of sweet agave and peppery spice, all for $25! Get it!!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Max Power (Kevin) gets a free drink for his recommendation of Muchote Reposado. The stuff is truly excellent! A friend and I sat out on the back deck last night and enjoyed a few Mexican beers and a couple of pours of the Muchote and we were both really impressed with the amazingly big nose and terrific finish. But what struck us both most was how viscous this tequila is--silky and rich with legs longer than Elle Macpherson's. And what a beautiful balance of sweet agave and peppery spice, all for $25! Get it!!
    If you liked that, I know you'll love to Corrido Anejo as well. Muchote is a top 3 value tequila. In blind tasting brackets of 16 good tequila, it finished 2nd only to the Corrido Anejo in March. For $25, it can hold its own with anyone.

Did you try the Fortaleza last night too?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    If you liked that, I know you'll love to Corrido Anejo as well. Muchote is a top 3 value tequila. In blind tasting brackets of 16 good tequila, it finished 2nd only to the Corrido Anejo in March. For $25, it can hold its own with anyone.

Did you try the Fortaleza last night too?
    I'm not surprised by Muchote's performance in the blind tastings, and at $25 it truly is a steal. My Mexican buddies are going to be blown away when I present them with their own bottle at the Memorial Day party they're throwing. Finally, a chance for the gringo to turn them on to something and not the other way around!

We didn't get to the Fortaleza, as we were enjoying the Muchote so much and didn't want to get in to a "which one do you like better" sort of thing. So, Fortaleza is on deck for tonight, along with more Bohemia beer and Calexico blaring on the outdoor stereo. This is gonna be a fun weekend!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZKxX...eature=related
    Last edited by unclebunk; 05-25-2012 at 10:49.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Dangit, Hank! You had to up and mention Elle McPherson's legs. Now, I'm going to have to go out and get another bottle of tequila!! Glad it's only 25 bucks, though.

PS: If you by chance see Adriana Lima as a descriptor in your next liquor experience, please let the bottle be inexpensive...Because I will be buying it by the case!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama