Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 24 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Virtuoso

Re: Tequila Forum

I got a sampler of Avion today for $9.99. It included a 50ml bottle each of Silver, Reposado and Anejo. Being relatively new to tequila I can't really give detailed tasting notes, but the Reposado and Anejo were both pretty smooth. I think I liked the Reposado best. Not quite as good as Don Julio Reposado in my opinion.

Virtuoso

I just tried the Corzo Silver. Not being a Tequila afficianado, by any stretch of the imagination, It smells and tastes "almost" like home made corn liquor. I'm wishing I hadn't spent the money on this one.

Guru

Just put in another order with Hi Times Wine Cellars: Muchote Reposado, Don Fernando Reposado, JLP Presidents Anejo and Corrido Reposado. Looking forward to receiving my order. In the mean time, I'm about to crack open my bottle of Fortaleza Blanco and a cold Bohemia.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    I just tried the Corzo Silver. Not being a Tequila afficianado, by any stretch of the imagination, It smells and tastes "almost" like home made corn liquor. I'm wishing I hadn't spent the money on this one.
    It's REALLY mild and has a citrus/vanilla thing going for it without a trademark tequila bite. It's just a notch better than Patron to me because it has all the same smoothness with a little more flavor (although you might not like the flavors).
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    I got a sampler of Avion today for $9.99. It included a 50ml bottle each of Silver, Reposado and Anejo. Being relatively new to tequila I can't really give detailed tasting notes, but the Reposado and Anejo were both pretty smooth. I think I liked the Reposado best. Not quite as good as Don Julio Reposado in my opinion.
    I describe Avion to people as a quality, no risks tequila. It has nice agave flavors and is really easy to drink, but there's no defining flavors that make you remember it. I have all 3 bottles and I like it, but I don't go out and tell people that the NEED to get it. Very good, but I can always recommend something in the price range for each age that I like better.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Just put in another order with Hi Times Wine Cellars: Muchote Reposado, Don Fernando Reposado, JLP Presidents Anejo and Corrido Reposado. Looking forward to receiving my order. In the mean time, I'm about to crack open my bottle of Fortaleza Blanco and a cold Bohemia.
    Love it. That's a great value oriented order. I'm in love with the JLP line for under $20. I could drink the repo and anejo all day...if my liver would let me. Corrido repo is awesome. Don Fernando is a little different and wonderful in the $20 range. Muchote...is Muchote. Good stuff.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    I describe Avion to people as a quality, no risks tequila. It has nice agave flavors and is really easy to drink, but there's no defining flavors that make you remember it. I have all 3 bottles and I like it, but I don't go out and tell people that the NEED to get it. Very good, but I can always recommend something in the price range for each age that I like better.
    Good to know that it's a quality tequila. I was a bit skeptical of it due to the TV commercials I've seen recently. I do think it is a bit expensive. The anejo here is like $51.99. I can get Don Julio for at least $5 cheaper.

Connoisseur

1921 my FAVORITE tequila, mainly the Reserva Especiale, a reposado

btw, I'm pretty sure that the "Scotch" poured in the pivotal bar scene in "Inglorious Basterds" is 1921 tequila
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Enthusiast

I'd like to get a recommendation in the $20-$30 range for a tequila noob. I never really had a good tequila before, I guess I got scared off by the bad stuff. Last week I was thinking about it and how I used to dislike bourbon as well, because I had only had really bad bourbons! I grabbed a mini of Penca Azul reposado to experiment with it and it's very good. I like the freshness it has, and the salt and pepper in the flavor.

I'd like to get a taste of an anejo now too so I can learn the differences in flavor. I am looking for a mid priced tequila that is a well crafted example of a "typical" tequila flavor profile (if there is such a thing). So where should I start without breaking the bank? Is it beneficial to taste a reposado and anejo from the same brand when learning? As much as I'd love it, a full size Penca Azul is out of range for now.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    Good to know that it's a quality tequila. I was a bit skeptical of it due to the TV commercials I've seen recently. I do think it is a bit expensive. The anejo here is like $51.99. I can get Don Julio for at least $5 cheaper.
    www.morewines.com has the best price on that and Pura Vida around. Both very good and not too expensive there. I think Avion is $30/35/37 and Pura Vida is $26/28/30 for the ages.