Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 25 of 90 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Connoisseur

Re: Tequila Forum

Quote Originally Posted by compliance View Post
    I'd like to get a recommendation in the $20-$30 range for a tequila noob. I never really had a good tequila before, I guess I got scared off by the bad stuff. Last week I was thinking about it and how I used to dislike bourbon as well, because I had only had really bad bourbons! I grabbed a mini of Penca Azul reposado to experiment with it and it's very good. I like the freshness it has, and the salt and pepper in the flavor.

I'd like to get a taste of an anejo now too so I can learn the differences in flavor. I am looking for a mid priced tequila that is a well crafted example of a "typical" tequila flavor profile (if there is such a thing). So where should I start without breaking the bank? Is it beneficial to taste a reposado and anejo from the same brand when learning? As much as I'd love it, a full size Penca Azul is out of range for now.
    Something that a local store will have for sure is El Jimador anejo and Milargo Reposado or Anejo. It's bourbon barrel aged and a has a lot of caramel and wood flavors. If you do the online ordering and want to do a few...the link above (www.morewines.com) has a few really good and cheap ones. El Caballo Estrella and Pura Vida would probably be may favorites under $30. They also have the best prices I've seen on Corazon, Casa Noble (which may be a bit earthy for a tequila noob, but is very popular amongst tequila folk), Don Nacho, and Gran Centenario Anejo.

Hope that helps.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Guru

Finally got around to opening the Fortaleza Blanco last night--superb! Honestly, the FB is flawless and delivers so much more than your typical mixer-type blanco that it can stand shoulder to shoulder with just about any top-flight tequila I've ever tasted. But once the "tasting" ended and the "drinking" commenced, we switched over to my new standby, Muchote Reposado. I can't get enough of the stuff!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Virtuoso

Ok.... I just cracked open a bottle of Don Julio Blanco. I'll say that I definitely think it's better than the Corzo, but I still get that home made corn liquor nose from it. I do like the peppery finish.

Maybe I'm not cut out for Blancos? I really like the Reposados and Anejos, though.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    Ok.... I just cracked open a bottle of Don Julio Blanco. I'll say that I definitely think it's better than the Corzo, but I still get that home made corn liquor nose from it. I do like the peppery finish.

Maybe I'm not cut out for Blancos? I really like the Reposados and Anejos, though.
    Although a bit pricier, you may want to check out the Fortaleza Blanco that I mentioned a post ago. No corn liquor nose there, that's for sure.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Advanced Taster

I notice some Pura Sangre on the shelf at a store the other day. It caught my eye because I thought it was Porfidio, since the bottle looks exactly the same. They have the glass cactus inside the bottle.

What's the story on this? Any good? Max: I noticed you have a bottle in your collection.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post

It takes a while to get used to the flavors in blancos...especially the grassier ones. I've always thought Corzo was pretty benign in terms of flavors. Maybe your palate prefers aged spirits. There's nothing wrong with that.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by redbear View Post
    I notice some Pura Sangre on the shelf at a store the other day. It caught my eye because I thought it was Porfidio, since the bottle looks exactly the same. They have the glass cactus inside the bottle.

What's the story on this? Any good? Max: I noticed you have a bottle in your collection.
    1. Porfidio at $100+ a bottle is decent, but I have 30 bottles of stuff that's $0 and under that I like better. Porfidio is more about the mystique and being able to find it more than the juice itself.

2. Pura Sangre is quite good. I have it in the newer looking bottle. For the $40 +/- range, it's a decent value. Not something I would say that you NEED to buy, but something that I would say is a good buy. I'd purchase the old cactus bottle if I saw it...but I'm a little bit crazy and have 300+ bottles of tequila, so I may not be the best measuring stick.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    1. Porfidio at $100+ a bottle is decent, but I have 30 bottles of stuff that's $0 and under that I like better. Porfidio is more about the mystique and being able to find it more than the juice itself.
    Max, could you please reveal your source for good $0 and under tequila? I'm particularly interested in the -$50 range.

For real though, good bottles of Porfidio SBA have been selling for over $300 for a while now. At that price, to me, they aren't worth it. However, when it's a really good bottle, it's up there with the best anejos I've ever had.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by luther.r View Post
    Max, could you please reveal your source for good $0 and under tequila? I'm particularly interested in the -$50 range.

For real though, good bottles of Porfidio SBA have been selling for over $300 for a while now. At that price, to me, they aren't worth it. However, when it's a really good bottle, it's up there with the best anejos I've ever had.
    www.hitimewine.net is probably my favorite seller. I listed maybe a page ago the www.morewines.com has some really good prices on tequilas too (Avion, El Caballo Estrella and Pura Vida).

At Hi Time, like unclebunk will attest to, there are plenty under $50 that are fantastic. Here is my list:

1. Corrido (Anejo - $40, Repo - $35) - Maybe my favorite tequila for the money. Just great stuff.
    2. Muchote - $25 - Smooth and complex. For $25, it's a steal.
    3. Fortaleza Blanco - $45 - This is one of the best blancos out there and a great example of what to look for in a good blanco.
    4. For the ultra best under $20 - JLP The President's Tequila is the best they have. It's awesome and all 3 ages are sub-$20.

At More Wines, I'd rank them 1. El Caballo Estrella Anejo (like creme brulee), 2. Pura Vida Anejo or Repo, 3. Avion Blanco and Reposado. All 3 ages of all 3 lines are good though. And you won't find better prices anywhere than at that site.

I could go on and on and could probably recommend something more specific if you told me certain tastes that you really liked (fruity, caramel, pepper/spicy, earthy, grassy, etc). Everyone's palate is different and with over 2000 tequilas, there's generally something for everyone.
    Last edited by Max Power; 06-11-2012 at 19:34.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    www.hitimewine.net is probably my favorite seller. I listed maybe a page ago the www.morewines.com has some really good prices on tequilas too (Avion, El Caballo Estrella and Pura Vida).

At Hi Time, like unclebunk will attest to, there are plenty under $50 that are fantastic. Here is my list:

1. Corrido (Anejo - $40, Repo - $35) - Maybe my favorite tequila for the money. Just great stuff.
    2. Muchote - $25 - Smooth and complex. For $25, it's a steal.
    3. Fortaleza Blanco - $45 - This is one of the best blancos out there and a great example of what to look for in a good blanco.
    4. For the ultra best under $20 - JLP The President's Tequila is the best they have. It's awesome and all 3 ages are sub-$20.

At More Wines, I'd rank them 1. El Caballo Estrella Anejo (like creme brulee), 2. Pura Vida Anejo or Repo, 3. Avion Blanco and Reposado. All 3 ages of all 3 lines are good though. And you won't find better prices anywhere than at that site.

Ah, you missed my joke. I was poking fun at your "$0 and under" typo, so I was asking for some "negative fifty dollar" tequilas. These are all much more than that!

But this is great info that I'm sure will be helpful to others.