Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 27 of 90 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Connoisseur

Re: Tequila Forum

Quote Originally Posted by compliance View Post
    I picked up the Anejo based on this recommendation. Had a quick sip and it's very nice. I can pick out some bourbon like character from the barreling. It lacks the freshness I really enjoyed in the Penca Azul though. Maybe I am a repo man! I'm going to dig into the bottle some more tonight.
    I'm a big fan of reposados because of the good combo of the agave and the light aging. You still get the spice from the agave and the barrel character. I love the rich smoothness of the Corrido Anejo and figured that bourbon lovers (who are used to 4-20+ year aging) would be better off starting with the aged ones. Most people who get into tequila tend to work backwards from anejo to blanco. I like them all, but for different reasons.

The Corrido anejo to me is what a great anejo should be. Tons of character, very easy to enjoy neat and takes on a lot of the character from the barrel in which it was rested (bourbon in this case). Keep drinking it and you'll find a lot of complexity in it from the sweet (vanilla/caramel) to some fruit to some nice brown spices.

And with Penca Azul, you are talking about an AWESOME brand. The aged ones are almost buttery and the blanco is superb. You won't find many better than Penca Azul. I just find it hard to recommend because of price and because it's very hard to find since the brand no longer exists.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Which vintage of the Ocho did you get? Also, I think you'll like the El Jimador Anejo. Big time bourbon influence in that one. Hi Time has the best prices I've seen on Alien...just if you haven't done a ton of searching on your own. Enjoy!
    The Ocho is the 2009 vintage. I haven't tried it yet. You were right, I do like the El Jimador. I think I'm probably a Reposado/Anejo guy. I like the Blancos, but I think I like the barrel influenced spirit over the straight from the still spirit...... so far.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    The Ocho is the 2009 vintage. I haven't tried it yet. You were right, I do like the El Jimador. I think I'm probably a Reposado/Anejo guy. I like the Blancos, but I think I like the barrel influenced spirit over the straight from the still spirit...... so far.
    When you get all 3/4 ages of a brand, it's fun to taste forward and backward. You get the base flavor and then see what the barrels add along the way. It's often interesting how different the repo and anejo can taste based on the length in the barrels.

If you need any other help, you know where to find me.

Virtuoso

I opened the bottle of Ocho Repo today. I'm on the fence with this one. It has a liquorice/anise taste to it. Kind of medicinal. It's not bad..... just different, and not what I expected.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    I opened the bottle of Ocho Repo today. I'm on the fence with this one. It has a liquorice/anise taste to it. Kind of medicinal. It's not bad..... just different, and not what I expected.
    The thing about Ocho is...that this tells you nothing about whether you'll like the next one or not. Having different vintages is cool, but you really have no idea what to expect. If it is was $25-35 a bottle, I'd be all for it, but inconsistent flavor for $50-60 just doesn't work for me. Cool idea...not as well executed as it could be.

Novice

I've been following this thread and have failed to see my favorite tequila mentioned: Señor Frogs Plata. At about $25 and change, it's hard to beat and I have had ALL the premiums I could find in my 64+ yrs. try it, I think you'll like it!

Fred

Connoisseur

Bragging about success! Two tequila companies have offered to send me stuff for free. I'm like a homeless man's Tequila Cowdery.

Drinking for free is awesome.

Guru

Sipping' some 5 yo Casa Noble extra anejo. It's a single barrel selection from TPS. Incredibly rich, agave flavors with just a suggestion of oak. Great green vegetable flavor on the finish. The mouth feel on this one is incredible!
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    Sipping' some 5 yo Casa Noble extra anejo. It's a single barrel selection from TPS. Incredibly rich, agave flavors with just a suggestion of oak. Great green vegetable flavor on the finish. The mouth feel on this one is incredible!
    Yeah. I like Casa Noble's aging, but I'm not a big fan of the heavy vegetal taste. I know so many people that love the blanco and I can't drink it.

I tried the whole line of El Conquistador yesterday. The blanco was citrusy and fantastic. The repo was buttery and had all of the characteristics that I want in a good repo. The anejo was good, but lacked any stand out qualities. Overall, it was a very good line of tequilas with the blanco probably being my favorite.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Yeah. I like Casa Noble's aging, but I'm not a big fan of the heavy vegetal taste. I know so many people that love the blanco and I can't drink it.
    I find some of the original CN blancos to be outstanding (like the ones with Vamonos Rapido as the importer on the label). Later on, around 2006 I believe, they changed their process a bit and "refined" the blanco. I don't like it nearly as much now. The old one was much more potent and up-front with minerale flavors. I still have a few bunkered.