Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 29 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Taster

Re: Tequila Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    I've never even heard of it...and that should tell you something. Congrats on a good find.
    Here is a picture of it. NOM 1500 if that means anything to you. I paid 500 pesos for it. They also had a neat 3 tier bottle that had all 3 types: blanco, reposado and anejo. I really like the anejo best, so I just bought a bottle of it.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by clindt; 07-10-2012 at 19:04.

Connoisseur

It looks like it's only sold in Mexico, so that's always good to bring back something that you can't get here. I've never heard of any of the brands made by NOM 1500 (There's 7 of them). They must not be able to get anything distributed in the US...at least not that I can find. Next time I go to Mexico I'm definitely only buying things that aren't sold in the US. I saw the 3 tier bottle. That looked kind of cool.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Taster

It looks like it's only sold in Mexico, so that's always good to bring back something that you can't get here. I've never heard of any of the brands made by NOM 1500 (There's 7 of them). They must not be able to get anything distributed in the US...at least not that I can find. Next time I go to Mexico I'm definitely only buying things that aren't sold in the US. I saw the 3 tier bottle. That looked kind of cool.
    Thanks for all of the info you have shared in this thread. I picked up a bottle of Don Julio Reposado that I will sample tonight.

...and the collection grows.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by clindt View Post
    Thanks for all of the info you have shared in this thread. I picked up a bottle of Don Julio Reposado that I will sample tonight.

I did the same yesterday to replace one we finished over the weekend. You won't be disappointed, that's for sure. Great stuff!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by clindt View Post

I really like the Don Julio line overall. The reposado is probably my favorite of the bunch (maybe not over the 1942). I'm always happy to share tequila insights with fellow agave lovers. If you have any questions about anything or want to know the best/cheapest place I know to get a brand online, I'm happy to help.

Guru

I really like the Don Julio line overall. The reposado is probably my favorite of the bunch (maybe not over the 1942). I'm always happy to share tequila insights with fellow agave lovers. If you have any questions about anything or want to know the best/cheapest place I know to get a brand online, I'm happy to help.
    I've really appreciated all your reviews and have been very pleased with my purchases based upon your recommendations (Corrido, Dos Lunas, Muchote, JLP, etc.). About the only one I wasn't knocked out by was the Don Fernando Reposado. I can't put my finger on it but to me it has a "sharp" flavor that prevents me from giving it an enthusiastic thumbs up. My friends had a similar reaction, greatly preferring the Muchote Reposado to the DFR. But hey, for $20 (reduced from $40) it's not a bad deal at all.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I've really appreciated all your reviews and have been very pleased with my purchases based upon your recommendations (Corrido, Dos Lunas, Muchote, JLP, etc.). About the only one I wasn't knocked out by was the Don Fernando Reposado. I can't put my finger on it but to me it has a "sharp" flavor that prevents me from giving it an enthusiastic thumbs up. My friends had a similar reaction, greatly preferring the Muchote Reposado to the DFR. But hey, for $20 (reduced from $40) it's not a bad deal at all.
    DFR has a bit of a different flavor profile than the rest of those. It does have a bit more of an oak flavor instead of the sweeter flavors from the used bourbon barrels, which are used in all of the other ones that I recommended. Corrido is double barrel aged. DFR also has a few flavors that are common in profiles of lower land tequilas with a few more earthy/grassy flavors. However, the aging still gives it the sweet/citrus profile too. It's not as a sweet or smooth, but I still like it a lot. Try a Meloza blanco or even the more commonly available Casa Noble or El Tesora blancos. Those will almost taste like you're getting a salad bar with all of the vegetal flavors, but I know plenty of people who love them.

It looks like you've discovered that reposados/anejos aged in bourbon barrels hit your sweet spot. If I recall, you had Fortaleza blanco as well, which may as well be in its own class because it's so damn good. Keep asking and I'll keep giving you good ones...especially now that I know your preferences.

Virtuoso

Ditto on the appreciation of your advice, Max. I'm a Tequila lover now, thanks to you! ...lol.

Guru

DFR has a bit of a different flavor profile than the rest of those. It does have a bit more of an oak flavor instead of the sweeter flavors from the used bourbon barrels, which are used in all of the other ones that I recommended. Corrido is double barrel aged. DFR also has a few flavors that are common in profiles of lower land tequilas with a few more earthy/grassy flavors. However, the aging still gives it the sweet/citrus profile too. It's not as a sweet or smooth, but I still like it a lot. Try a Meloza blanco or even the more commonly available Casa Noble or El Tesora blancos. Those will almost taste like you're getting a salad bar with all of the vegetal flavors, but I know plenty of people who love them.

It looks like you've discovered that reposados/anejos aged in bourbon barrels hit your sweet spot. If I recall, you had Fortaleza blanco as well, which may as well be in its own class because it's so damn good. Keep asking and I'll keep giving you good ones...especially now that I know your preferences.
    While I loved all the bourbon-barreled tequilas that you recommended, I don't think that the bourbon influence was the factor that made me appreciate them. They were just fine full-flavored tequilas that I happened to enjoy. I'm actually on a blanco kick and find that I like them as well as any reposados and anejos that I've tried. I happen to be among those who absolutely love the entire El Tesoro line, especially the Platinum and Reposado, so earthy/grassy/vegetal qualities don't put me off at all. In fact, I sometimes prefer blancos because of the fact that barrel-aging hasn't tampered with the agave flavor/aroma and you get to enjoy unadulterated agave in its purest form. I think the Don Fernando just struck me funny and will require additional samplings to fully appreciate what it has to offer. (My brother's non-technical complaint was that it had a "wang" that he didn't like, whatever a "wang" is, though I knew what he was trying to say.) Moving on, I finally opened the JLP Reposado last night and loved it. That stuff gives Muchote a good run for its money and will be a crowd pleaser for sure.

Enthusiast

I also generally prefer blancos, but my favorite anejos use French oak, which is interesting given my love of bourbon.