Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 31 of 81 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: Tequila Forum

I picked up 50ml each of the Kah Reposado and Kah Anejo. They are in the miniature skull bottles. Really Cool looking! I'm surprised to see that the Reposado is 110 proof. I'll drink that one first, then...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    I just tried the US Tapatio Blanco. It's worth the hype. The stuff is great.
    I have a bottle of Tapatio Blanco from Mexico. Had it maybe 10 - 15 yrs before you could get it here. Really smooth and the old stuff was made in a very old fashion method.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by scubadoo97 View Post
    I have a bottle of Tapatio Blanco from Mexico. Had it maybe 10 - 15 yrs before you could get it here. Really smooth and the old stuff was made in a very old fashion method.
    Yep. It's a very old school brand. It's in my top 5 blancos right off the bat. I like pretty much everything about it...including the price $30-35 for 1L.

In reference to the KAH brands. I like them all. The blanco is minty and smooth. The repo is spicy/hot in taste and feel. The anejo is really well aged with a lot of character. The anejo is probably my favorite, but I'd happily buy them all again.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Enthusiast

Tapatio blanco is nearly the same as El Tesoro. Same distillery, same master distiller (Carlos), same agave, same distillation method. The only difference is that El Tesoro uses agave crushed by tahona (the big rolling stone) and for Tapatio the agave is crushed by a modern machine.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by TomH View Post
    One of the highlights of my trip to Tales of the cocktail was a tasting of 9 different Del Mageuy Mezcals. I had previously tried and purchased Tobala, but now my wallet is going to take a beating since in addition to wanting to buy the Pechuga, I'm thinking about picking up 2-3 other of their bottlings.
    I'm a complete sucker for anything from Del Maguey - he sources some of the best, most interesting stuff around. I love the stories, the labels and most of all those flavors!

I'm a huge Chichicapa fan. I've not had the Pechuga (you lucky dog, but I hear you snagged some for StraightNoChaser/Winston as well...). That's one on my bucket list, but at $120 a bottle around these parts, it's going to have to wait a bit.

Let me know if you have any problem finding any DMs - Specs here in Texas stocks them all and has some great prices (as does Total Wine).

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by luther.r View Post
    Tapatio blanco is nearly the same as El Tesoro. Same distillery, same master distiller (Carlos), same agave, same distillation method. The only difference is that El Tesoro uses agave crushed by tahona (the big rolling stone) and for Tapatio the agave is crushed by a modern machine.
    I know that they come from the same distiller, but that doesn't mean that they're intended to taste the same. I like both brands, but El Tesoro is much more vegetal. Tapatio is totally crisp and clean. It's pretty much agave, citrus and pepper in a wonderfully smooth and crisp spirit. El Tesoro is grassy and has green olive notes. I'm not sure if the tahona makes that much of a difference, but there is a very distinct difference in the taste of each.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    I know that they come from the same distiller, but that doesn't mean that they're intended to taste the same. I like both brands, but El Tesoro is much more vegetal. Tapatio is totally crisp and clean. It's pretty much agave, citrus and pepper in a wonderfully smooth and crisp spirit. El Tesoro is grassy and has green olive notes. I'm not sure if the tahona makes that much of a difference, but there is a very distinct difference in the taste of each.
    It's interesting you mention the olive notes, because while I haven't noticed them in ET Platinum so much, I REALLY notice them in the 70th Anniversary and to a lesser degree in the Paradiso.

I find El Tesoro to have more minerale notes then vegetal, but I think the family resemblance with Tapatio is very strong.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by luther.r View Post
    It's interesting you mention the olive notes, because while I haven't noticed them in ET Platinum so much, I REALLY notice them in the 70th Anniversary and to a lesser degree in the Paradiso.

I find El Tesoro to have more minerale notes then vegetal, but I think the family resemblance with Tapatio is very strong.
    Speaking of which, I just enjoyed a nice little pour of El Tesoro Platinum and am looking hard at my bottle of Muchote Reposado. Come hither, Muchote...
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Doing some reviewing tonight:

Herradura Anejo - Pretty good. Very nice complex anejo. Classic hot Herradura finish.
    Reserva de Mexico Reposado - Very good for $20. Basic, but really tasty. Light on the start, complex on the finish.
    El Mayor Reposado - Fairly basic. A bit more oak than I like in a repo, but would be a crowd pleaser.
    La Certeza Reposado - Strong earthy/grassy blanco notes for a repo. I bet the blanco would be super green. The flavors of blanco and aging seemed to be fighting a bit.
    Gran Tulum Reposado - Really solid for $25 at W&L Depot. Nice all around flavor.

Enthusiast

I finally got around to diving into some tequila a little more thoroughly, I ended up discovering after much tasting that Anejo seemed to really grab me for a style (type whatever you want to call it )

Had a Casa Nobles Anejo which was fantastic very memorable... http://imbibehour.blogspot.com/2012/...uila-more.html
    Visit the search for glory in the bottle: http://imbibehour.blogspot.com/
    My video reviews http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...16DDF465CBC112