Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 46 of 91 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Connoisseur

Re: Tequila Forum

Most tequila is aged in old bourbon barrels. This is pretty much paying for marketing and a label. The vast majority of bourbon barrels go to MX to age tequila. We've probably all had stuff aged in these barrels and never known it. If I'm going to spend premium dollars, I'll do it on something better than Corazon.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Guru

Oh good gracious, doesn't Brown-Forman own the company that makes those barrels? We may as well say they were designed for that World Famous Bourbon, Early Times.

Enthusiast

Summer has me craving tequila so I ordered ArteNom 1146 Anejo and 1414 Reposado. Seems to be a lot of good words written about these.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by compliance View Post
    ArteNom 1146 Anejo
    Bubblegum!
    (padpadpad)

Connoisseur

Summer has me craving tequila so I ordered ArteNom 1146 Anejo and 1414 Reposado. Seems to be a lot of good words written about these.
    If you read the blog, you'll know of my love for 1414. Both are solid choices.

Enthusiast

Your site helped me decide Max. I also used your recipes for the basic margherita and paloma. How is the ArteNom blanco?

Connoisseur

Your site helped me decide Max. I also used your recipes for the basic margherita and paloma. How is the ArteNom blanco?
    Cool. How did you like the recipes. The recipe for a paloma is the pretty standard, but marg recipes are all over the board. Some people like a 2 to 1 ratio of tequila to lime juice, but that is a pretty hot marg even with the ice. I'll admit that I may add another splash of tequila from time to time, but I really like to taste the lime. A lot of other recipes call for more simple syrup/agave nectar, but again, I like them sour.

ArteNOM blanco is pretty darn good. NOM 1079/1580 - they changed NOM #s after a couple of brands left the distillery, but they have said that nothing has changed in the production at NOM 1580 from what was done at 1079. It's a blanco that has a good amount of earth & wet cement type flavors, but in good balance without being overly bitter. It's not necessarily my favorite profile of blanco, but NOM1079 does it as well as anyone. For, the $40 price tag it's a good value if you like that profile in a blanco.

Advanced Taster

I keep seeing 1921 popping up. At first I was quite excited, as that used to be on my must-try list, but I suspect the NOM switch signals a very different, inferior product.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Cool. How did you like the recipes. The recipe for a paloma is the pretty standard, but marg recipes are all over the board. Some people like a 2 to 1 ratio of tequila to lime juice, but that is a pretty hot marg even with the ice. I'll admit that I may add another splash of tequila from time to time, but I really like to taste the lime. A lot of other recipes call for more simple syrup/agave nectar, but again, I like them sour.
    I was interested in finding a good basic recipe to make a more natural version instead of what you get in bars, and it worked out well. I used the ArteNom repo fresh limes and TJ's blue agave syrup (i don't currently have a blanco, waiting on K&L's Campeon selection they have hinted at). I'll probably try with a bit more agave syrup next time, and I'm going to raid my inlaws' lime tree instead of store bought. The paloma was also good, I'm looking forward to a summer filled with both cocktails.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoldBully View Post
    I keep seeing 1921 popping up. At first I was quite excited, as that used to be on my must-try list, but I suspect the NOM switch signals a very different, inferior product.
    From my understanding, the first lote of stuff from NOM 1535 is very similar. I've had the NOM 1535 Reposado and it was still quite good. Tequilas are almost more dependent on lot # than NOM. I've had some that were great and some not so much from the same NOM. You never really know. Bourbon is more consistent for sure, but I find there to be more aspects in tequila to give it more complexity.