Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 50 of 92 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Enthusiast

Re: Tequila Forum

Hey Max, did you order a bottle of k&l's Fuenteseca Reserva? I'm curious to hear about that one once it comes in. I think it was a mistake for them to blend in a bunch of young tequila, but not having tasted it who knows. Just wondering what you think about it.

Enthusiast

Well, I know you didn't ask me, but I ordered one mostly because it's first of its kind I've heard of and I'm pretty excited about it and I've been pretty excited and waiting for it since I first read about it over a year ago.

While 4 and 7 years are younger compared to 11-21 year old tequilas I would be hesitant to call them "young" since an overwhelming amount of tequila available spends less than 1 year in wood.

Being so into and used to whiskies and other spirits aged for decades its easy to attach to ideas of age statements or 'the older the better' kind of mentality. I think including 50% of it being 11years or more in wood is a pretty incredible offering to my mind.

Also if they did single vintages I imagine I'd be tapped out at the 7 year when started pricing them.

All that said, I'm also very interested in MaxPower and anyone else's thoughts on it.

Connoisseur

Tequila Forum

Bought Piedra Azulejo last night. Took a little sip and seemed a little light in flavor and that is ok. I bought it to infuse jalepenos for Margaritas tomorrow night. Had one in New York and wanted to try and get close.

Mike

Guru

Refreshed my supply of Excellia Anejo today with a couple more bottles. Tried the Don Pilar anejo and XA thanks to the help of a fellow SBer and both are nice but since neither are available locally and the Excellia Anejo compares well to the Don Pilar XA to me at a little less cost and can be found in town I stuck with what I could find locally.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by compliance View Post
    Hey Max, did you order a bottle of k&l's Fuenteseca Reserva? I'm curious to hear about that one once it comes in. I think it was a mistake for them to blend in a bunch of young tequila, but not having tasted it who knows. Just wondering what you think about it.
    I did not. It honestly did not sound appealing to me. Generally speaking, anything over 7 years for tequila is pretty gross...or at least it tastes nothing like agave. If I want something that tastes more like wood, I'll get a 21 year whiskey. There's a reason that tequila makers don't make many things older than 5 years. It's because it no longer tastes anything like tequila. To me, this sounded like the same thing. It very well might be delicious, but from the tasting notes, it didn't sound like something that I wanted to pay $170 for.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

Made my first Mexican Mojito tonight with Don Tacho. A lighter flavor than the standard mojito. Very tasty.

Guru
    Went back to Tequila tonight with Crotalo Anejo
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Went back to Tequila tonight with Crotalo Anejo
    Always a good choice. So much going on in that one.

Enthusiast

I've been enjoying el destilador reposado - I can get it for $15/liter here. I think it's smooth, creamy & rich. Really enjoy this one for those mellower sipping moments or for a nice rich (non-smokey) mixed drink.

The price is ridiculously cheap for how good the bottle is. Cheaper than Camarana even...

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    I've been enjoying el destilador reposado - I can get it for $15/liter here. I think it's smooth, creamy & rich. Really enjoy this one for those mellower sipping moments or for a nice rich (non-smokey) mixed drink.

The price is ridiculously cheap for how good the bottle is. Cheaper than Camarana even...
    I've always found it to make a really good paloma as well. Definitely a good value. I've been hearing good things recently about Exotico as a cheap brand. Anyone ever had it?