Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 52 of 89 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Advanced Taster

Tequila Forum

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Square bottles are a newer version while round ones are a prior formulation based on what Max told me earlier in this thread. Max will no doubt clarify but you may want to seek out those round bottles!
    Interesting. I'll probably grab them just for comparison's sake (what liquor nerd wouldn't?), but I can afford to wait for Max's green light since they looked like they were going nowhere fast.

Guru

Re: Tequila Forum

Don Julio Reposado and way too much Muchote Reposado last night. I also just put in another order with Hi Time Wine Cellars and picked up some Fortaleza Reposado among other things. What happened to the Corrido line?? How disappointing to see their stuff no longer available from Hi Time!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Alphanumeric View Post
    Interesting. I'll probably grab them just for comparison's sake (what liquor nerd wouldn't?), but I can afford to wait for Max's green light since they looked like they were going nowhere fast.
    I've actually enjoyed both versions, but the round bottle is more classic and tends to be preferred by tequila drinkers. I would give an edge to the round bottle ones, but I won't say that I don't like the square ones as well. The round bottles have a fruity agave flavor that is very unique and I can't think of another brand that has matched it. I would definitely seek out those bottles. The round bottle blanco never made it to the US, so the repo and añejo are the only expressions that you'd find.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Don Julio Reposado and way too much Muchote Reposado last night. I also just put in another order with Hi Time Wine Cellars and picked up some Fortaleza Reposado among other things. What happened to the Corrido line?? How disappointing to see their stuff no longer available from Hi Time!
    Corrido went out of business, but if you can still alter your order from Hi Time, I would recommend doing so. They are doing close outs on a few tequilas and have some unreal prices on them. http://www.hitimewine.net/Email-Specials.html

El Grado is made at the same distillery that Corrido was. At $11, I figured it was worth the risk to buy 6 bottles. I've never had 1519 Tequila, but I can definitely recommend Reserva de Mexico and Frida Kahlo at those prices. Reserva de Mexico is a bit softer on the palate and has some sweeter notes. Frida Kahlo is more traditional and has more green agave flavors. Both very solid...especially at those price. I've never had El Grado, but it is NOM 1526 (which made Corrido and Sol de Mexico and both of those are outstanding). I'd recommend adding a few of these closeouts if you can. It's well worth the risk at those prices.

And to get back to Corrido, the owner died and passion behind the brand went with it. It went out of business and stopped being made in the fall/winter of last year. I picked up about 12-15 bottles of the different expressions. There was a lot of love for the brand and now if you can find it, it will likely have a 30-75% mark-up from where it was. It's sad when great and moderately priced brands like that die off.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Advanced Taster

Tequila Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Corrido went out of business, but if you can still alter your order from Hi Time, I would recommend doing so. They are doing close outs on a few tequilas and have some unreal prices on them. http://www.hitimewine.net/Email-Specials.html

El Grado is made at the same distillery that Corrido was. At $11, I figured it was worth the risk to buy 6 bottles. I've never had 1519 Tequila, but I can definitely recommend Reserva de Mexico and Frida Kahlo at those prices. Reserva de Mexico is a bit softer on the palate and has some sweeter notes. Frida Kahlo is more traditional and has more green agave flavors. Both very solid...especially at those price. I've never had El Grado, but it is NOM 1526 (which made Corrido and Sol de Mexico and both of those are outstanding). I'd recommend adding a few of these closeouts if you can. It's well worth the risk at those prices.

And to get back to Corrido, the owner died and passion behind the brand went with it. It went out of business and stopped being made in the fall/winter of last year. I picked up about 12-15 bottles of the different expressions. There was a lot of love for the brand and now if you can find it, it will likely have a 30-75% mark-up from where it was. It's sad when great and moderately priced brands like that die off.
    You're killing me, Max. Those are some killer prices. For the Kahlo and Reserva, what expressions would you recommend? Kahlo sounds like it's more up my alley.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post

Thanks for all the info, especially about the Corrido line. Such a shame that the owner passed away and that nobody was in the wings to fill his shoes, as their products truly were excellent. Sadly, I only have the one half full bottle of the anejo left and will now have to sip it gently over time to make it last as long as possible. I've never seen any Corrido on a store shelf around here and would likely balk at the extreme mark-up, unless it were closer to 30% than the 75% you mentioned.

I did see the HT email newsletter featuring the remarkable sale prices on the various tequilas which is what prompted my latest order on Saturday afternoon. In addition to the Fortaleza Reposado (I already own a bottle of the blanco and love it so thought I should try the reposado), I also took a chance on the El Grado Blanco and bought two bottles of it, as well as another two bottles of Muchote. At $11 per bottle (plus $4 per bottle to ship them) I figured I couldn't go wrong, but now that you've mentioned that it was produced at the same facility that made Corrido, I kinda wish I had bought two more. I mean, worst case scenario is that I'd have an nice affordable mixer if the stuff doesn't knock me out drinking it straight up. I probably should have investigated the Reserva de Mexico and Frida Kahlo further too at those prices, but didn't really know anything about them. Would you recommend one brand over the other? And would you suggest a particular one over another (blanco, reposado or anejo)? Thanks for any tips you may have for me.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Picked up a Fortaleza anejo today. Didn't see the blanco as an option and the reposado was out of stock.

Passed on an El Tesoro anejo (NOM 1139, was the only one on the shelf. Same place that makes Excellia which I like and El Tesoro used to have a decent reputation, not sure now), a 1921 Reposado that was the newer NOM 1535 (couldn't find a lot number) and a funky bottle of "El Cartel" with gold flakes floating in it from the same NOM (1416) that makes "celebrity" tequilas like Avion and Casamigos as well as Clase Azul. It's gold flake gimmick and celebrity association didn't help it much. Don't recall the price but it didn't garner much interest.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Picked up a Fortaleza anejo today. Didn't see the blanco as an option and the reposado was out of stock.

Passed on an El Tesoro anejo (NOM 1139, was the only one on the shelf. Same place that makes Excellia which I like and El Tesoro used to have a decent reputation, not sure now), a 1921 Reposado that was the newer NOM 1535 (couldn't find a lot number) and a funky bottle of "El Cartel" with gold flakes floating in it from the same NOM (1416) that makes "celebrity" tequilas like Avion and Casamigos as well as Clase Azul. It's gold flake gimmick and celebrity association didn't help it much. Don't recall the price but it didn't garner much interest.
    All of the recent bottles of El Tesoro I've picked up have been excellent and it remains a favorite among my little circle of tequila-drinking friends. What did you mean when you said you bought a bottle of Fortaleza anejo but "didn't see the blanco as an option"? Were you specifically looking for something else but couldn't find it?
    Last edited by unclebunk; 09-03-2013 at 04:04.

Guru

poor wording on my part I suppose. Fortaleza is apparently relatively new in Georgia and doesn't seem to be in many stores at the moment. The store where I found it carried only the Reposado and the Anejo at present and the Reposado was currently sold out. Not sure if I would have purchased the Blanco anyway as I tend to rarely drink a blanco on its own and have more affordable options in blancos available for mixing. But it wasn't an option, at least not yet!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

poor wording on my part I suppose. Fortaleza is apparently relatively new in Georgia and doesn't seem to be in many stores at the moment. The store where I found it carried only the Reposado and the Anejo at present and the Reposado was currently sold out. Not sure if I would have purchased the Blanco anyway as I tend to rarely drink a blanco on its own and have more affordable options in blancos available for mixing. But it wasn't an option, at least not yet!
    Oh, I see. Fortaleza is very hard to find around here too which is why I tend to get it via mailorder. If you do find the Fortaleza blanco though I would highly recommend getting it, as it's one of those superb blancos that I truly enjoy drinking straight up. Its charms are subtle but rewarding and worth revisiting over and over again. I'm not very skilled at tasting notes when it comes to tequila but I'm sure Max Power has reviewed it or will have something to share about it. And very elegant looking bottles too, eh?