Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 55 of 91 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 550 of 910

Thread: Tequila Forum

  1. #541
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    883

    Re: Tequila Forum

    Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    Finally opened the Don Julio Reposado gifted to me by a colleague in Guadalajara - 38% alc by vol. I do not drink tequila often and haven't had it neat (if you can call it that) since shooters in college almost 30 years ago. This is fabulous stuff - vanilla, honey agave, a bit of pepper on the finish, nice mouthfeel. It has made me want to explore a few other reposados and anejos, but this one will be the benchmark. If this is the only brand I have on the shelf, that is fine with me.
    You've opened up Pandora's box if you are using DJ Repo as your benchmark. That said, I very much enjoy Don Julio and the repo is probably my favorite of the standard line, but there's an array of flavors out there. The one piece of advice that I'll give you is that you don't really have to break the bank to get some seriously good stuff. Enjoy the new found hobby & hunt.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

    There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

  2. #542
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sutton, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,256

    Re: Tequila Forum

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    You've opened up Pandora's box if you are using DJ Repo as your benchmark. That said, I very much enjoy Don Julio and the repo is probably my favorite of the standard line, but there's an array of flavors out there. The one piece of advice that I'll give you is that you don't really have to break the bank to get some seriously good stuff. Enjoy the new found hobby & hunt.
    Thanks - after drinking it I re-read all 55 pages of this thread - so I have a list, but I think I'm just going to go about it one bottle at a time. There is a good tequila bar nearby that has a decent selection, so I think I'll start there to try a few. My only other bottle is a Patron Reposado that I bought in the late 90's and only have used for marqueritas. After trying the DJ, I poured a sample of the Patron and was shocked at how different they were - the Patron was flatter and had a somewhat bitter, unpleasant finish. That scared me into proceeding a little more slowly until I get a few under my belt.
    Mark

  3. #543
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    883

    Re: Tequila Forum

    Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    Thanks - after drinking it I re-read all 55 pages of this thread - so I have a list, but I think I'm just going to go about it one bottle at a time. There is a good tequila bar nearby that has a decent selection, so I think I'll start there to try a few. My only other bottle is a Patron Reposado that I bought in the late 90's and only have used for marqueritas. After trying the DJ, I poured a sample of the Patron and was shocked at how different they were - the Patron was flatter and had a somewhat bitter, unpleasant finish. That scared me into proceeding a little more slowly until I get a few under my belt.
    Patron repo is one of the most bland tequilas that you'll ever taste in your life. If you're ever looking for guidance, feel free to send me an email or PM and I'll be glad to help. Additionally, the link in my signature to my blog has reviews for nearly 400 tequilas. It's just one person's opinion, but hopefully it can help you find guidance...and help look for the right value.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

    There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

  4. #544
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    238

    Re: Tequila Forum

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    I have opened a few of them. For $10.99, I wish I would have bought 12 El Grado. It's wonderful.
    I'm glad I got two then. Thanks again for cluing us in to this deal.

  5. #545
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    2,287

    Re: Tequila Forum

    Finished off my first bottle of Corrido Anejo... glad I've got a few more in the bunker!
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

  6. #546
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    361

    Re: Tequila Forum

    I finished a bottle a bottle of that tonight too! So good. I have a back up and know where to grab another 1 or 2. Definitely a favorite of mine.

  7. #547
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    2,287

    Re: Tequila Forum

    Quote Originally Posted by RVTsteve View Post
    I finished a bottle a bottle of that tonight too! So good. I have a back up and know where to grab another 1 or 2. Definitely a favorite of mine.
    TequilaTourist was saying Corrido as we tasted tonight won't be around much longer so I ended up bunkering a case of this Anejo.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

  8. #548
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    A pretty great state.
    Posts
    1,788

    Re: Tequila Forum

    Quote Originally Posted by Edward_call_me_Ed View Post
    I have been drinking Kirkland Tequila Silver this summer. It is 100% agave and is really quite nice.
    Is the NOM on the label?
    Last edited by p_elliott; 10-09-2013 at 07:25.
    Jim

  9. #549
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,636

    Re: Tequila Forum

    Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    Is the NOM on the label?
    Likely the same NOM that makes the Kirkland Anejo, NOM 1472. As best I can tell from tequila.net they are a fairly large facility using stainless steel rollers and pot stills and don't seem to have a lot of "artisanal cache". Also make Cielo and Kah among other brands. Kind of the LDI of tequila?

    Scarlet has kind of an interesting take on the anejo from a few years ago on their Taste Tequila website. I too bought the Kirkland anejo a couple of years ago to try it out ($24 a liter seemed worth a try) and while it was a decent and cheap 100% agave mixing tequila it wasn't something I found to have much character as a sipper.

    Could move this to the Tequila Forum?
    Last edited by p_elliott; 10-09-2013 at 07:25.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

    Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

  10. #550
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    2,287

    Re: Tequila Forum

    Sipping on some wonderfully creamy agave in this Crotalo Anejo tequila - thx TequilaTourist for the intro!
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Tequila
    By cowdery in forum Non-Whiskey Alcohol
    Replies: 164
    Last Post: 05-16-2010, 21:55
  2. 1921 Tequila
    By whiskydude in forum Non-Whiskey Alcohol
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-01-2008, 20:20
  3. Price of Tequila
    By pepcycle in forum Non-Whiskey Alcohol
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-27-2005, 15:15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top