Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 56 of 92 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Connoisseur

Re: Tequila Forum

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Sipping on some wonderfully creamy agave in this Crotalo Anejo tequila - thx TequilaTourist for the intro!
    I dig the whole line of this stuff too. And yes, the kirkland stuff is from is contract distillery (NOM 1472). It's a fine juice for the price. The blanco is a good profile for a mixer as well. I'd probably be buying it more often if I didn't have a ton of other blancos for mixing.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Enthusiast

I recently grabbed a couple older bottles that got moved to clearance shelves. Centinela Reposado 1/2 price and a cool pena shaped clear glass bottle LA LEYENDA DEL CABALLERO anejo marked down to $26. The bottle is a little awkward to pour from but the juice is pretty interesting, didn't blow me away though the nose was pretty deep but the palate was a little muted and oddly enough reminded me of the fruitiness in a blended scotch before it opened up and the agave came through.
    11896-2.jpg

I like the Centinela too, a little peppery and hot, but I've been drinking mostly anejos lately which could influence that. Speaking of Centinela I spotted a fewof the old round style bottles of 3 anos at the old $51 price. I haven't had this but it's been on my radar, going back for one tomorrow.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RVTsteve View Post
    I recently grabbed a couple older bottles that got moved to clearance shelves. Centinela Reposado 1/2 price and a cool pena shaped clear glass bottle LA LEYENDA DEL CABALLERO anejo marked down to $26. The bottle is a little awkward to pour from but the juice is pretty interesting, didn't blow me away though the nose was pretty deep but the palate was a little muted and oddly enough reminded me of the fruitiness in a blended scotch before it opened up and the agave came through.
    11896-2.jpg
    Certainly is one of the odder looking bottles I have seen!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by RVTsteve View Post
    11896-2.jpg

I like the Centinela too, a little peppery and hot, but I've been drinking mostly anejos lately which could influence that. Speaking of Centinela I spotted a fewof the old round style bottles of 3 anos at the old $51 price. I haven't had this but it's been on my radar, going back for one tomorrow.
    Leyenda del Caballero is made by NOM 1463. They don't currently have a brand distributed in the US to my knowledge. That's a nice find. I really like the old Centinela formula. A lot of fruit, but enough agave spice and kick to back it up. One of the great values in tequila IMO. BevMo had them on closeout as well. The new square bottle formulation is still pretty good, but it's more expensive and not as traditional.

Virtuoso

Picked up a Cazadores Reposado to make margaritas (didn't want to use the Don Julio) - had a few sips straight and while it was a bit one dimensional, I loved the mouthfeel. A little weak on the nose, but very creamy on the palate, decent agave flavor and pronounced vanilla on the mid-palate and finish. Made a nice margarita - for $27, it was a giant step up from the Patron Reposado I had been using for mixing. For the price, I wouldn't mind having this straight now and then.
    Mark

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    Picked up a Cazadores Reposado to make margaritas (didn't want to use the Don Julio) - had a few sips straight and while it was a bit one dimensional, I loved the mouthfeel. A little weak on the nose, but very creamy on the palate, decent agave flavor and pronounced vanilla on the mid-palate and finish. Made a nice margarita - for $27, it was a giant step up from the Patron Reposado I had been using for mixing. For the price, I wouldn't mind having this straight now and then.
    I've always thought that Cazadores was a little bland. I guess that I've never noticed the mouth feel. While I generally don't say bad things about Patron, I think that their reposado is poorly crafted and not well thought out. It lacks any barrel sweetness, but has a bit of the bitterness that oak can bring. For what is generally $40 or so, it's never something that I would recommend. Don Julio has more flavor, depth and is more pleasant as a sipper or mixer for the same basic price. $40-45 is where a lot of really great tequilas (Don Pilar, Fortaleza, Pura Vida, Alma, Azunia, Corralejo, El Tesoro, Gran Dovejo, Siete Leguas, T1, Tapatio, ArteNOM, etc) play on the shelves. Patron is at the bottom of the list.

Connoisseur

I was able to try the Fuenteseca Tequila from K&L the other day and I'm not sure of who may have ordered it from here, but I wrote the review.

http://tequilatourist.blogspot.com/2...ila-extra.html

For those of you that like woody spirits, this might be right up your alley. It's tasty, but it loses a bit of the agave essence (as many extra añejos) do. But, I've tried nearly 500 tequilas and I can say that's it's unlike any other one that I've tasted. A bit of sweetness up front, oak and dark chocolate and a really light feel on the palate considering the age. I'd recommend it if the price doesn't bother you.

Connoisseur

Made Añejo Old Fashioneds tonight. If you've never tried it, I highly recommend it. The only difference is that you only use the orange peel instead of an orange slice (compared to a bourbon/rye OF). I dig this drink.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Made Añejo Old Fashioneds tonight. If you've never tried it, I highly recommend it. The only difference is that you only use the orange peel instead of an orange slice (compared to a bourbon/rye OF). I dig this drink.
    A little orange bitters and a small splash of agave nectar is usually enough for me but sounds like an orange twist would work too! definitely helps brighten up and otherwise unassuming anejo that I don't find particularly compelling neat.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

Picked up my bottle of Fuenteseca today, really excited to pop it open. I had a taste of a friend's bottle over the weekend and really enjoyed it. Obviously a lot of wood but it kept coming back to agave and some sweetness as well. Reminds me in some ways of a well-aged brandy.

Also grabbed a bottle of Centinela anejo, round bottle. Currently on sale for $30 at a local store. I now have the rep, anejo and 3 anos on my shelf.