Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 91 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 909

Thread: Tequila Forum

  1. #51
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    882

    Re: Tequila Forum

    Quote Originally Posted by Bmac View Post
    I found this on the Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearm page.

    (g) Class 7; Tequila. “Tequila” is an alcoholic distillate from a fermented mash derived principally from the Agave Tequilana Weber (“blue” variety), with or without additional fermentable substances, distilled in such a manner that the distillate possesses the taste, aroma, and characteristics generally attributed to Tequila and bottled at not less than 80° proof, and also includes mixtures solely of such distillates. Tequila is a distinctive product of Mexico, manufactured in Mexico in compliance with the laws of Mexico regulating the manufacture of Tequila for consumption in that country.

    This is odd because this means that Tequila shipped to the US have to be altered. The Don Julio tequila I brought from Mexico (both the Reposado and Añejo) are 38% 76 proof. o__o. Is this the way it was intended, or are they just being cheap in Mexico?
    It's a US regulation that the tequilas have to be 80 proof. I have no idea why. I don't find the 2% difference to make a difference in taste.

    Much like the 80 proof bourbons diluted with distilled water, they do the same with tequila. I can't think of any tequilas that I've seen at "cask strength."

    I wish that I had a good answer as to "why" they are different proofs, but I don't.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

    There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

  2. #52
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    882

    Re: Tequila Forum

    Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Passed by an LCBO outlet after lunch and picked up Tlacuache Silver Mezcal, it's 42% ABV. It also says, 100% Agave Angustifolia. A website mentioned is www.mezcalesdeleyenda.com

    I poured a dram having just gotten home - my first mescal - and find it outstanding. It has a pronounced smoky taste with hints of grappa-like tastes. The texture is soft and rounded. It's completely different than any tequila I ever had.

    This is clearly a major world spirit and I'm glad to have discovered it.

    Gary
    That's about right. Mezcals are more smokey. Sotols are more grassy and light. Tequilas are somewhere in between. The highland ones are generally sweeter and lowland ones are a bit earthier. Both are sweeter than Mezcals or Sotols. All of them are good. I think that tequila is probably most popular because it is probably the most versatile and has properties that please the masses more.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

    There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

  3. #53
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just East of the Big Chicken, GA
    Posts
    6,028

    Re: Tequila Forum

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    You can find it for $75 many places and that's the best I've seen (I think $72.99 is the lowest I've ever seen). As a last resort, you can buy from this place for $79.99 and if you see something else you like they ship for free at $100. I just bought 4R Small Batch from this place for $18.99 in addition to some tequilas.

    http://pacificonlinespirits.com/search.aspx?find=clase

    About half the online places won't ship it either because of size and it's ceramic. Another awesome bottle.

    Thanks again, Max. I'll be getting a bottle pronto.
    JOE

    Wag more.
    Bark less.

    "Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

  4. #54
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    882

    Re: Tequila Forum

    Just because I'm such a big fan of Corrido, I thought that I would post this review of the entire line. He's spot on with all of his tasting notes. This is an awesome tequila and more than I'd want to type.

    http://www.drinkspirits.com/tequila/...equila-review/
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

    There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

  5. #55
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Chicago 'burbs
    Posts
    1,085

    Re: Tequila Forum

    I'm going to be somewhat vague here and ask about tequila dusties. There are a few stores around here in Mexican neighborhoods that I've scoured for dusty bourbon and only found shelves and shelves of tequila.

    I can't keep track of all the names in this thread (but I'm sure I'll find great use for it someday!). Off the top of your head, any tequila (or mezcal or sotol) dusties I should look out for?
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

  6. #56
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,032

    Re: Tequila Forum

    Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    Off the top of your head, any tequila (or mezcal or sotol) dusties I should look out for?
    One of my favorite dusty tequilas is the Jose Cuervo Anejo. It's as good as the Reserva De La Familia (IMO) at less than half the cost. The early releases had the imbedded cork with the normal wood cork hanging on the neck (like the picture at the link below), but later releases just had the normal wood cork already in the bottle.

    http://www.pocotequila.com/antour/josecuervoanejo.html

    Other dusty favorites of mine are the old-style bottle/label of the El Tesoro brand. And of course the original Porfidios.

  7. #57
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sutton, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,217

    Re: Tequila Forum

    This may be a dumb question, as I know nothing about tequila - I've only really ever had it in a marquerita (I know ... )

    About 7 years ago while on business in Guadalajara, a colleague gave me a bottle of tequila, and he told me this is what he and his friends drink. It was a very kind gesture, but I had no idea what he had given me. It is still unopened. This thread made me go find it...

    It is a bottle of Don Julio, and the label reads "Reserva de Don Julio, Reposado, 100% de Agave, 38% alc.vol." My question: does the "Reserva" mean anything, or is that just Don Julio's standard labeling for all of their "reposado"? As I have no palate education on tequila, should I hold onto this while I educate my palate on other tequilas?

    Thanks in advance ...
    Mark

  8. #58
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mesquite, TX
    Posts
    619

    Re: Tequila Forum

    Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    This may be a dumb question, as I know nothing about tequila - I've only really ever had it in a marquerita (I know ... )

    About 7 years ago while on business in Guadalajara, a colleague gave me a bottle of tequila, and he told me this is what he and his friends drink. It was a very kind gesture, but I had no idea what he had given me. It is still unopened. This thread made me go find it...

    It is a bottle of Don Julio, and the label reads "Reserva de Don Julio, Reposado, 100% de Agave, 38% alc.vol." My question: does the "Reserva" mean anything, or is that just Don Julio's standard labeling for all of their "reposado"? As I have no palate education on tequila, should I hold onto this while I educate my palate on other tequilas?

    Thanks in advance ...
    First off, Don Julio is good stuff, and second...yeah it's their standard label. Like so many liquor brands they loosely use the word "reserve." They gifted you well.
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

  9. #59
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    882

    Re: Tequila Forum

    Quote Originally Posted by Bmac View Post
    First off, Don Julio is good stuff, and second...yeah it's their standard label. Like so many liquor brands they loosely use the word "reserve." They gifted you well.
    This. It's the standard bottle, but DJ is the premier high end tequila to Mexicans. And DJ reposado is very good stuff.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

    There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

  10. #60
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    882

    Re: Tequila Forum

    Quote Originally Posted by gblick View Post
    One of my favorite dusty tequilas is the Jose Cuervo Anejo. It's as good as the Reserva De La Familia (IMO) at less than half the cost. The early releases had the imbedded cork with the normal wood cork hanging on the neck (like the picture at the link below), but later releases just had the normal wood cork already in the bottle.

    http://www.pocotequila.com/antour/josecuervoanejo.html

    Other dusty favorites of mine are the old-style bottle/label of the El Tesoro brand. And of course the original Porfidios.
    I have old El Tesoros and another good one is the Chinacos before German left to be master tequilero of T1. Anything bottled before 2009 is a treasure. Chinaco was the best $45 tequila around back then. It's still good, but when German was doing it, it was close to the very top.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

    There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Tequila
    By cowdery in forum Non-Whiskey Alcohol
    Replies: 164
    Last Post: 05-16-2010, 21:55
  2. 1921 Tequila
    By whiskydude in forum Non-Whiskey Alcohol
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-01-2008, 20:20
  3. Price of Tequila
    By pepcycle in forum Non-Whiskey Alcohol
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-27-2005, 15:15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top