Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 63 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Enthusiast

Re: Tequila Forum

Cool bottles DL.

I just got a bottle of the Pura Vida XA myself. Found it for a decent price so I jumped on it. Haven't spent any time with it yet. Look forward to your thoughts!

Guru

Hey Max, what's the deal on El Tequileno Reposado again? Decent stuff? The price sure can't be beaten but I'm wondering how it stacks up against Muchote.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Hey Max, what's the deal on El Tequileno Reposado again? Decent stuff? The price sure can't be beaten but I'm wondering how it stacks up against Muchote.
    Love them both for the price. Muchote has a bit more "green"agave notes, but they both rank in my top 5 tequilas at $25 or under. I have multiples of each. With something like El Tequileño out there at $15.99, anyone who buys a mixto for the same price deserves to be punched in the face. It works well for sipping and mixing...and makes a killer paloma.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Love them both for the price. Muchote has a bit more "green"agave notes, but they both rank in my top 5 tequilas at $25 or under. I have multiples of each. With something like El Tequileño out there at $15.99, anyone who buys a mixto for the same price deserves to be punched in the face. It works well for sipping and mixing...and makes a killer paloma.
    Thanks for the quick feedback. But now that you've mentioned that they are two of your top 5 in the under $25 bracket, I have to ask what the other three are. Do tell?
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Thanks for the quick feedback. But now that you've mentioned that they are two of your top 5 in the under $25 bracket, I have to ask what the other three are. Do tell?
    If Hi Time still had El Grado, I'd recommend that. It's only $10.99 and made at the same distillery (and a similar profile to) as Corrido was. Olvido from NOM 1079 was only $12 and has the great profile that 1079 juices have for a fraction of the price. Same can be said for Herencia Mexicana from the same distillery. Then I would probably go with Reserva de Mexico. It's a bit more mild on the spice, but full flavored and tasty. And if you can find it, I would recommend Viva Mexico over anything except Muchote (they're both NOM 1414, so the repos are similar). All of these brands are stellar for the price.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Enthusiast

I was drinking some Oro Azul Anejo (older bottle with the black wax and cord top) last night and enjoying it. Its not mind blowing, but I recommend it if you come across some. It has a nice earth and caramel thing going on, and the agave flavor is not overpowering and is balanced.

I also had some Siembre Azul Extra Anejo Suro a couple nights ago (buddy got a sample from another buddy). It's aged in American Oak for 5 years, and from a bourbon drinker's perspective, it's mind-blowing. It was sweet like bourbon, but less caramel and vanilla and more sucrose sweetness (like corn syrup / candy corn). It wasn't cloying, either, and for being 80pf, the finish was long. I guess its limited to around 500 bottles. That's too bad because I'd buy this stuff by the case. Guess I need to try out some more Extra Anejos...
    Justin

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    If Hi Time still had El Grado, I'd recommend that. It's only $10.99 and made at the same distillery (and a similar profile to) as Corrido was. Olvido from NOM 1079 was only $12 and has the great profile that 1079 juices have for a fraction of the price. Same can be said for Herencia Mexicana from the same distillery. Then I would probably go with Reserva de Mexico. It's a bit more mild on the spice, but full flavored and tasty. And if you can find it, I would recommend Viva Mexico over anything except Muchote (they're both NOM 1414, so the repos are similar). All of these brands are stellar for the price.
    As always, thanks for the info. I think I've got two bottles of El Grado (one open) and several Muchote's in the bunker but never grabbed any of the others. I'll keep a look out for Viva Mexico now that you've mentioned it. We've got some fabulous Mexican-owned liquor stores not far from where I live that tend to have deep tequila selections so I'll be checking the shelves on my next hunt. I did manage to find another Corrido Anejo for $50 which was cool but continue to kick myself for not buying more from Hi Time when they were available (as well as the Dos Lunas).

Connoisseur

came across this at a Champagne tasting last night; passed on a Fortaleza

will still be looking for the D'Antaño in Cabo per Kevin's rec
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoys View Post
    came across this at a Champagne tasting last night; passed on a Fortaleza

will still be looking for the D'Antaño in Cabo per Kevin's rec
    The Siete Leguas Reposado is on my short list but I've been waiting for a sale that never seems to come. Good pick up!

Guru

Sipping on some Centinela 3yr Anejo while the family puts up Christmas decorations.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof