Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 67 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Connoisseur

Re: Tequila Forum

Cool set of pictures and a very nice line-up. Salud!
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

Did some reviewing tonight. Here's a preview for later in January...

Arta Blanco - Earthy & solid, but my least favorite of the line. Cool bottle and still worth buying.
    Tezon Reposado - Probably my favorite of the night. Classically done tequila with Tahona and nice agave/aging balance.
    Oro Azul Añejo - Lots of aging notes evident in this one. Plenty of oak and spice. A nice bottle for the price, but not a must buy.

Guru

Sometimes I find I need to buy an overly pricey bottle just because. Today was one of those days! Well, actually a few days ago with the kind assistance of a fellow SBer who shipped this to me from K&L. Arrived today just in time to help me warm up from the icy polar vortex.

Fuenteseca.JPG

Some info here for those not familiar with it.

Couldn't wait to see just how foolish I had been so got into immediately. Although I had to let it warm up a bit as it was still quite cold when it was delivered. Turns out not so foolish! Really strong and almost peppery agave on the nose. The taste was a bit more supple but tons of body and nice long finish. Despite the excessive price it was quite a wonderful tequila.

Always hard to justify the cost of these bottles but this is one I am OK with. Once.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Sometimes I find I need to buy an overly pricey bottle just because. Today was one of those days! Well, actually a few days ago with the kind assistance of a fellow SBer who shipped this to me from K&L. Arrived today just in time to help me warm up from the icy polar vortex.

Fuenteseca.JPG

Couldn't wait to see just how foolish I had been so got into immediately. Although I had to let it warm up a bit as it was still quite cold when it was delivered. Turns out not so foolish! Really strong and almost peppery agave on the nose. The taste was a bit more supple but tons of body and nice long finish. Despite the excessive price it was quite a wonderful tequila.

Always hard to justify the cost of these bottles but this is one I am OK with. Once.
    It all depends. Honestly, I would have been disappointed had I spent $200 on it. Not because it isn't unique, but more because it just didn't have the great agave flavors that I would want in a high priced tequila. The wood from the really aged tequilas were more than my palate wanted.

I did have the pleasure of talking to David Driscoll about it and how it was formulated. It's certainly an interesting an unique tequila, but perhaps I'm a bit too agave focused. This was far too woody for me to fully enjoy as an agave spirit. I suppose that maybe it's more in the wheelhouse of those that enjoy a 20+ year grain spirit. Anyway, my thoughts on it are on record. And to the credit of K&L, they did link it in their spirit blog despite it not saying that everyone should buy it. David Driscoll was really a stand up guy and was wonderful to enjoy a pour with. They really do a great job with their exclusive offerings.

http://tequilatourist.blogspot.com/2...ila-extra.html

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    It all depends. Honestly, I would have been disappointed had I spent $200 on it. Not because it isn't unique, but more because it just didn't have the great agave flavors that I would want in a high priced tequila. The wood from the really aged tequilas were more than my palate wanted.

I did have the pleasure of talking to David Driscoll about it and how it was formulated. It's certainly an interesting an unique tequila, but perhaps I'm a bit too agave focused. This was far too woody for me to fully enjoy as an agave spirit. I suppose that maybe it's more in the wheelhouse of those that enjoy a 20+ year grain spirit. Anyway, my thoughts on it are on record. And to the credit of K&L, they did link it in their spirit blog despite it not saying that everyone should buy it. David Driscoll was really a stand up guy and was wonderful to enjoy a pour with. They really do a great job with their exclusive offerings.

http://tequilatourist.blogspot.com/2...ila-extra.html
    Yes, I had read your review beforehand but the chances of my getting a sample first were pretty small. I don't mind some woody flavor and have recently been seeking out some older ryes but don't care for a ton of wood either. So I was happy to find that to my palate at least there was much more agave character remaining and that the wood was not dominant. Maybe there was a change in formulation from the first batch to the second? I guess we would have to ask David Driscoll to know for sure but I would hate to think they tweeked the amount of the older spirits downward.

Maybe the fact it was on the colder side than I would normally drink it affected it. It literally had just come off the delivery truck. I will of course be trying it again to see what effect, if any, time and a warmer temp has on it.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Made a tequila sidecar tonight:

1.5 oz tequila
    1 oz Cointreau
    1 oz lime juice
    3 dashes of bitters
    a couple drops of agave nectar

Shaken with ice...pour in whatever kind of glass you want = delicious

Advanced Taster

I went in to a recently opened liquor store nearby and noticed this odd bird on the shelf.

Did Centinela revert to the round bottles? Or did the owner just lift these from another location? They looked clean and new and I was thrown.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post

Fuenteseca.JPG

I'm with Max on this one. A buddy and I went in on this bottle and split the cost down the middle. It's good, but not $200 good. It is definitely opening up with air, though.
    Justin

Connoisseur

Anyone ever have the Corazon tequilas aged in the BTAC barrels? I'm not a big tequila guy at all but always been curious about this one (never had it).

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Alphanumeric View Post
    I went in to a recently opened liquor store nearby and noticed this odd bird on the shelf.

Did Centinela revert to the round bottles? Or did the owner just lift these from another location? They looked clean and new and I was thrown.
    Depending on the price (generally $35-40), you should definitely pick up these bottles. These are the old style Centinela and have a great flavor. Lots of fruit, but plenty of agave spice and kick. A great example of a natural Mexican palate favoring reposado (no added sweeteners). I bunkered a couple of these when I found them in Nashville.