Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 68 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Connoisseur

Re: Tequila Forum

Quote Originally Posted by dcbt View Post
    Anyone ever have the Corazon tequilas aged in the BTAC barrels? I'm not a big tequila guy at all but always been curious about this one (never had it).
    Marketing gimmick. 90% of tequila is aged in used bourbon barrels. This is just smart people trying to make money off of the BTAC/PVW craze. Corazon and the distillery overall makes a decent, but mediocre product. Paying $70-90 for anything that they pump out would be a mistake. Go pay $25 for Corazon reposado instead and see if you like their product because they're starting with the same base and that's the bigger part of the battle anyway.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Marketing gimmick. 90% of tequila is aged in used bourbon barrels. This is just smart people trying to make money off of the BTAC/PVW craze. Corazon and the distillery overall makes a decent, but mediocre product. Paying $70-90 for anything that they pump out would be a mistake. Go pay $25 for Corazon reposado instead and see if you like their product because they're starting with the same base and that's the bigger part of the battle anyway.
    Gotcha, good to know, thanks.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Alphanumeric View Post
    I went in to a recently opened liquor store nearby and noticed this odd bird on the shelf.

Did Centinela revert to the round bottles? Or did the owner just lift these from another location? They looked clean and new and I was thrown.
    I still see these all over out here. Just got a liter last week. It's really good, peppery and delicious
    Definitely drink it...tonight -Sutton

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by dcbt View Post
    Anyone ever have the Corazon tequilas aged in the BTAC barrels? I'm not a big tequila guy at all but always been curious about this one (never had it).
    Luther and I did the whole flight three months ago and it was interesting. Corazon is actually owned by Sazerac so its pretty natural for them to experiment with BT barrels.

In order of likeyness: Saz, Old Rip, Stagg and BT.

The Saz had great balance between the barrel infused flavors and agave and was enjoyable.

The Old Rip was good but the the sweet wheater flavor was somewhat strong and didn't mesh well with peppery agave (not to say sweetness and agave don't mesh well). Honestly, the Old Rip was a little confusing and Luther and I were scratching our heads trying to figure out whether we actually liked it.

The Stagg was real interesting from an experimentation standpoint. The barrel influence was very strong and it completely unbalanced the tequila. I thought this one was ok but would rather drink Stagg straight.

The BT barrel was really weak and had almost no influence on the tequila.

Overall, it was a fun experiment, but I wouldn't pay more than $40 for any of these. If I just had to try/buy one, I'd pull the trigger on the Saz.
    Justin

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
    I'm with Max on this one. A buddy and I went in on this bottle and split the cost down the middle. It's good, but not $200 good. It is definitely opening up with air, though.
    Yeah, might have been nice to split it with someone in retrospect but what the heck, it's only money!

That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Yeah, might have been nice to split it with someone in retrospect but what the heck, it's only money!

It's a bottle that you can keep around for years for special pours or to show good friends the added flavors than many years in oak can have on agave. I've certainly made worse buys.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    It's a bottle that you can keep around for years for special pours or to show good friends the added flavors than many years in oak can have on agave. I've certainly made worse buys.
    Oh, it will definitely be enjoyed and shared! In fact I quite liked it. But it was a splurge for the back story and hard to justify the price otherwise. In the DJ 1942 price range I would be perfectly fine with the cost.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

You can't take it with you and the kids don't deserve it.
    Peggy: Look Al, the rubes think I'm sexy!
    Al: So would I if I had whiskey for breakfast.

Enthusiast

Oh, it will definitely be enjoyed and shared! In fact I quite liked it. But it was a splurge for the back story and hard to justify the price otherwise. In the DJ 1942 price range I would be perfectly fine with the cost.
    I really do like it and I don't think it was necessarily a rip off. It was a good move to buy one to check out. I think the potential upside was that it could have been a > $200 bottle. Maybe with a bit more proof...

Live and learn.
    Justin

Connoisseur

Hosted a wee tequila tasting last night. Good times with good folks and some tequila found its way to a new home.

69538_343771509095220_493879826_n.jpg

Good times.