Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 70 of 81 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Enthusiast

Re: Tequila Forum

I got the last bottle but I said that twice before. I'll ask next time I'm there. It's a small shop and they don't ship unfortunately. If you're interested in the blanco pm me they have a case of that I think.
    Definitely drink it...tonight -Sutton

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by gblick View Post
    I've mentioned before that I drank tequila for 25 years before switching over to bourbon almost 7 years ago. Well, one of my old buddies (who's still very much into tequila) is turning 50 this weekend and having a party tomorrow night. I figured this would be a great time to bring/open a bottle I've been holding back for a special occasion:
    Attachment 17629 Attachment 17630 Attachment 17631
    Attachment 17632 Attachment 17633
    It's the real deal Porfidio, not that poser 'Super Jalisco' stuff that came out much later.
    I think the bottles with the green rim may be more coveted (though I'm not really sure). I never got to taste any Porfidio SBA from a green rimmed bottle, but by most accounts that I've read this is just as good.
    I had one of those bottles years ago. Tasted like cream soda to be...

Virtuoso

Yeah, the Porfidio SBA did not disappoint on Saturday night. The regular tequila drinkers loved it, and even the non-tequila drinkers said it was good.

With that Porfidio SBA gone, I'm now down to one last bottle of tequila in my bunker, probably to be opened on a special occasion for one of my other longtime tequila buddies.
    Last edited by gblick; 01-28-2014 at 06:39.

Advanced Taster

Gus, maybe you can jog my memory on a brand. Back in 2007, Specs was clearing out a brand (2/3 off original price) that got sued and ultimately went bankrupt. The reason for the lawsuit was that the blown glass bottle design (with inner cactus) and brand name were almost identical to the one you pictured. I think I paid around $20/bottle and thought the tequila was really tasty. I only bought 3 bottles, should have bought a couple cases in hindsight...
    "The Road goes on Forever and the Party never ends!"
    - Robert Earl Keen

Virtuoso

Possibly it was Purasangre?
    Well no, Purasangre is still around so they obviously didn't go bankrupt, but I thought I heard about them having a problem like that with their early bottle design, and that's why they have a different 'plant' in their current bottle. But I could be mistaken and thinking about some other brand.
    Last edited by gblick; 01-28-2014 at 13:22.

Advanced Taster

I think you named it! I received my information from a Specs associate, which is always unreliable. Regardless, I got it pretty cheap and was probably the original bottle copy cat you referred to. Thanks!
    "The Road goes on Forever and the Party never ends!"
    - Robert Earl Keen

Guru

Saw this today and considered it but passed. Herradura Reserva 2012 Reposado finished in port casks.

Herradura port cask.JPG

Anybody have any experience with it?

http://www.thirstysouth.com/2013/06/...ila-herradura/

I know Brad/Biskuit liked it!
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 02-03-2014 at 17:13.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Saw this today and considered it but passed. Herradura Reserva 2012 Reposado finished in port casks.

Herradura port cask.JPG

Anybody have any experience with it?

http://www.thirstysouth.com/2013/06/...ila-herradura/

I know Brad/Biskuit liked it!
    I'll ask around. I can't stomach paying $100 for something that I know is made with a diffuser. I do like their double barrel reposado though. Herradura seems to do the best with "fast" techniques compared to a lot of the other big boys.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    I'll ask around. I can't stomach paying $100 for something that I know is made with a diffuser. I do like their double barrel reposado though. Herradura seems to do the best with "fast" techniques compared to a lot of the other big boys.
    My understanding is the Herradura/Brown-Forman had stopped using a diffuser for the Herradura line, relegating it to use with the Pepe Lopez and El Jimador only but I suppose it is hard to prove that.

Anyway, it is a curiosity although I am also a bit reluctant to spend that much for 80 pf spirits. I do like an interesting finish though!

Anybody tried the Reserva 2013 Cognac finish?
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    My understanding is the Herradura/Brown-Forman had stopped using a diffuser for the Herradura line, relegating it to use with the Pepe Lopez and El Jimador only but I suppose it is hard to prove that.

Anyway, it is a curiosity although I am also a bit reluctant to spend that much for 80 pf spirits. I do like an interesting finish though!

Anybody tried the Reserva 2013 Cognac finish?
    I would be surprised either way. Some of the recent Herradura that I've had is definitely diffuser juice. But it's entirely possible that they don't with special releases. The Double Barrel doesn't taste like it at all.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!