Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 74 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Enthusiast

Re: Tequila Forum

This is a great time to dive into tequila. People be all cray cray over bourbon right now and secondary market prices are insane. I even think Jim Cramer slammed his big red button and yelled "sell bourbon" last night on Mad Money.

The tequila market is in a lull right now (at least that what it seems like to me). I believe there was a big market in the late 90s and early 2000s, but it has since faded. The tequila bar down the road from me closed last year. Obvious there is still demand, but its not what it once was. And that is great because tequila is artisinal and delish and...whats that word...bourbon used to be it...oh yeah, accessible.

My buddy mentioned that one of the biggest hurdles for people to get over with tequila is that first impression, which usually isn't a good one. I tend to agree. But once you overcome that terrible "first date" and approach tequila with an open mind (and recognizing it is not bourbon), it can be a very rewarding experience.

Two quick gripes with tequila: need more age on anejos and more proof (like Tap 110).
    Justin

Enthusiast

So Anejo is a broad term for the oldest?
    Everyday my spirit seems to find its way to the bottom of a glass...... Don

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Max, it sounds like your priorities in Bourbonia are all fouled up.
    It goes in cycles. There's nothing wrong with being a well rounded drinker.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by dSculptor View Post
    So Anejo is a broad term for the oldest?
    Blanco - Aged 0-2 months
    Reposado - 2-12 months
    Añejo - 12-36 months
    Extra Añejo - 3+ years

And I would disagree that there needs to be more aging in tequila. You have to keep a few things in mind.

1. It takes 7-10 years for an agave plant to mature.
    2. The longer in the barrel, the less essence there is of the agave plant. My personal favorite is a good reposado where the barrel and plant are in perfect balance.

Tequila isn't about the wood notes & spice. It's about the agave plant first and the accent flavors later. I've had 7, 10, 12, 18 year tequila. To me, they taste like wet wood chips with spice. With the huge price tags that come along with having something that is taking 20+ years from start to finish and the high evaporation element of being in hot/dry Mexican highlands, the price is not anywhere near worth the flavor for me.

Enthusiast

When I said more aging, I should have been more clear. I'm not talking about super-aging (20+ years), but releasing more stuff in the 5-10 year range and bringing down the price a bit. Some of the 5 year tequilas I've had (Siembre Azul Extra Anejo, El Tesoro Paradiso, K&L Fuenteseca, etc...) were really great and took to the wood well. I personally would like to see more tequila in that age range and not have to pay $150+ for it just because they threw in a barrel for 5-10 years (which, relatively, is not a long time).

I actually feel the opposite of you, Max, and like repos the least.
    Justin

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
    When I said more aging, I should have been more clear. I'm not talking about super-aging (20+ years), but releasing more stuff in the 5-10 year range and bringing down the price a bit. Some of the 5 year tequilas I've had (Siembre Azul Extra Anejo, El Tesoro Paradiso, K&L Fuenteseca, etc...) were really great and took to the wood well. I personally would like to see more tequila in that age range and not have to pay $150+ for it just because they threw in a barrel for 5-10 years (which, relatively, is not a long time).

I actually feel the opposite of you, Max, and like repos the least.
    I didn't think the K&L was anything special. It's 60%+ (and that's at the least) 4 and 7 year stuff anyway. Try things like Grand Mayan, Man in Black, Toro de Lidia, etc and you'll see how it most often ruins tequilas to be in he barrel for 7-10 years. With the brands that you listed, you're talking about some of the best people in the tequila world. NOM 1414 (Siembra Azul) is my favorite distillery. Fuenteseca is NOM 1146 and Enrique Fonseca is possibly the best barrel wizard in the business. And El Tesoro with Carlos Camarena does great things too, but I've had the 75th anniversary El Tesoro and it's not as good as the 7 year 70th Ann.

And like I mentioned before, 7 years in the barrel might not seems that long, but when you factor in that it takes a decade for the plant to grow and that the angel's share loss is exponentially higher in the hot and dry highlands, the added expense is merited. Growing corn & grain is easy...growing agave is not. It's the most common complaint that I hear about tequila isn't old enough. If there was a way to make it taste good and get it to people at a price where it could actually be purchased, I'm sure that one of the hundreds of distilleries would be doing it.

Fuenteseca has come out with age stated stuff that is old. The 9 year is $225, the 12 year is $300, the 18 year is $550. I guess with people paying $450 for PVW15 and 18 year tequila for $550 is downright reasonable.

Enthusiast

I thought the K&L Fuenteseca opened up nicely with some air. The rest of their prices on the extra anejos are insulting. I agree on the ET 70th.

I understand the nuances of harvesting agave and aging tequila, but I do think that a little more aging (done right) might make some great anejos.

Look what the Kentucky boys can turn a unpleasant white dog distillate into with some oak and time. I think agave is a vastly superior pure spirit, and I'd like to see what some more time in oak could do to it.
    Justin

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
    I thought the K&L Fuenteseca opened up nicely with some air. The rest of their prices on the extra anejos are insulting. I agree on the ET 70th.

I understand the nuances of harvesting agave and aging tequila, but I do think that a little more aging (done right) might make some great anejos.

Look what the Kentucky boys can turn a unpleasant white dog distillate into with some oak and time. I think agave is a vastly superior pure spirit, and I'd like to see what some more time in oak could do to it.
    The 7+ year ones are out there. For me, I think 5 years is generally the sweet spot for an XA, but it's always a mood thing on what age/expression I want. People who know what they're doing can make the older ones sing...but it's rare.
    Last edited by Max Power; 02-27-2014 at 18:16.

Guru

Tequila Forum

Sipping on ArteNOM 1414 Reposado and Alquima Reposado - both are delicious but missing some bite & thicker mouthfeel after I've been on a Cask-Strength streak. I figure if I drink beer and tequila for a week, it'll reset my palate for lower proof enjoyment!

¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Virtuoso

Had my first pour of a San Matias Extra Anejo (3 yrs - NOM 1103), "Hawthorne" bottling done for Julio's, which was a blend of a few casks selected by the store. First impression was a bit of shock at the color - not very dark at all - maybe between the Don Julio rep and anejo. Also plenty of agave flavor here, very much closer in style to a reposado than an anejo to my uneducated palate, but with a much fuller body, more viscous.

It was the first pour after work, and I wasn't really in a "tasting" frame of mind but I thought it very good - at $39.99, also a good price. They had an Extra Anejo 3 yr single barrel that I also purchased, but haven't opened yet.
    Mark