Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 78 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Enthusiast

Re: Tequila Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    It's one of the can't miss brands out there. Top to bottom, great flavor and great value.
    Agreed. The Anejo is the default bottle I get family to mule back with them from Mexico when they go for vacation...

Connoisseur

Looking to explore Mezcal, specifically something I can drink neat but also not feel guilty about including in a cocktail. Any recommendations appreciated.
    Epicurean in the ATL - Atlanta-Based Food, Whiskey & Cocktail Blog

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by DaveOfAtl View Post
    Looking to explore Mezcal, specifically something I can drink neat but also not feel guilty about including in a cocktail. Any recommendations appreciated.

Del Maguey Vida would be one that I think fits the bill. Wahaka has a stronger smoke element, but is also highly regarded. There's a lot of other people that can probably give you better advice than me on this, but from the Mezcal enthusiasts I know, Vida seems to be a good one for the type of what you're asking for.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Del Maguey Vida would be one that I think fits the bill. Wahaka has a stronger smoke element, but is also highly regarded. There's a lot of other people that can probably give you better advice than me on this, but from the Mezcal enthusiasts I know, Vida seems to be a good one for the type of what you're asking for.
    Thanks Max!

Padpad

Connoisseur

Picked up the Del Maguey Vida and it's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again Max.

I'm just curious. Do you sip your blanco/reposado/anejo at room temperature or chilled? Thanks.

Rick

Guru

Tequila Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
    I'm just curious. Do you sip your blanco/reposado/anejo at room temperature or chilled? Thanks.

Rick
    I sip it like I do my whisky - no ice, neat
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DaveOfAtl View Post
    Picked up the Del Maguey Vida and it's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again Max.
    It has become one of the classic mezcals for cocktails but i agree it is very nice on its own. The Del Maguey line is well regarded and I have had several others but they are generally twice the cost of the Vida and up.

Fidencio and Ilegal mezcal gets good reviews that I have seen but haven't had them myself. Ilegal comes as a blanco/joven as well as a reposado and anejo similar to tequila. I think both tend to be a bit more than Vida. The basic Fidencio may be in the same price range.

I like Sombra in cocktails when looking for a bit more smokeyness. Don't drink it much on its own though. Not that I wouldn't necessarily like it, just haven't gotten around to it!

I think all of these are relatively available locally.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    I sip it like I do my whisky - no ice, neat
    I take it you do not refrigerate your tequila.

Rick

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
    I take it you do not refrigerate your tequila.

Rick
    Can't speak for Johnny but unless I am specifically planning on making a large quantity of margarita's or some other cocktail I don't refrigerate tequila (or pretty much any other liquor besides maybe gin and vodka). And then it is usually a "cocktail" grade of tequila selected specifically for mixing in quantity!

Tequila generally is something, as he noted, that I treat just like whisk(e)y. Neat and unchilled.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum