Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 83 of 91 FirstFirst ... 33738182838485 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Guru

Re: Tequila Forum

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Pura Vida line. Thoughts folks? I've actually come across very few on-line reviews despite Billy Gibbons association with the brand.
    I have not tried it but if you do so please do report! Max likely has some thoughts as he liked this line and likes this distillery in general. I think the only one routinely available from 1414 to me is the Arte Nom reposado and even that is hard to find.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Pura Vida line. Thoughts folks? I've actually come across very few on-line reviews despite Billy Gibbons association with the brand.
    It's made at NOM 1414 which is a favorite of mine, but it's also triple distilled which takes a little bit of the oomph out of the blanco compared to other products from the same place for me. However, the añejo is aged really nicely and has very nice complexities. I'd definitely recommend that one the most, but all of the tequila from there are probably above average. The XA is good, but is the loser of the bunch because of the high price tag. For me...

1. añejo
    2. repo
    3. blanco
    4. XA

If you can snag the añejo for around $40, it's a buy.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    I have not tried it but if you do so please do report! Max likely has some thoughts as he liked this line and likes this distillery in general. I think the only one routinely available from 1414 to me is the Arte Nom reposado and even that is hard to find.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    It's made at NOM 1414 which is a favorite of mine, but it's also triple distilled which takes a little bit of the oomph out of the blanco compared to other products from the same place for me. However, the añejo is aged really nicely and has very nice complexities. I'd definitely recommend that one the most, but all of the tequila from there are probably above average. The XA is good, but is the loser of the bunch because of the high price tag. For me...

1. añejo
    2. repo
    3. blanco
    4. XA

If you can snag the añejo for around $40, it's a buy.
    Thanks for the info. I think I'll grab the anejo and repo for now and get the blanco sometime down the line. Bummed to discover that Muchote is no longer showing up on HTWC's site, as I planned to pick up a few more bottles for the summer months.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Thanks for the info. I think I'll grab the anejo and repo for now and get the blanco sometime down the line. Bummed to discover that Muchote is no longer showing up on HTWC's site, as I planned to pick up a few more bottles for the summer months.
    wAT? I know that the website went down and it went off the NOM list. It must be discontinued. Time to stock up!!!

Enthusiast

Thanks to Max and a few other tequila nerds I am now addicted to the Tapatio Excelencia. This stuff is simply amazing.

If you get a chance, hit the Tap 110, too (especially if you like CS stuff). I cant wait to try it in a margarita on a hot summer day (but it does seem a tad "blasphemous" putting such a good tequila in a mixed drink).
    Last edited by Dolph Lundgren; 05-16-2014 at 05:52.
    Justin

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    wAT? I know that the website went down and it went off the NOM list. It must be discontinued. Time to stock up!!!
    That would be a major disappointment. Fortunately, I've got four bottles (3 unopened and 1 about half way gone) but no means any longer to get more, as HTWC was the only outlet that I knew of to buy it. I did, however, place an order yesterday and ended up grabbing all three Pura Vida's, Don Pilar anejo and two Reserva de Mexico anejos (plus another bottle of Plantation Barbados 5 YR because you can't beat the price and we're drinking it like water). I also bought a bottle of Antiguo de Herradura reposado locally which I drank regularly in Mexico City several years ago, along with too much Bohemia and Victoria beer. AdH was popular among the older, more traditional crowd that we often drank with (as was the Victoria), so I was happy to stumble upon it for the first time here in Chicago.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

coincidence!
    PV left over from our December Cabo trip
    first margaritas of the season tonight. found cheap limes ($1.49/lb--$4-5 elsewhere due to crop issues this year)
    filled the shaker.
    I believe it was 6 oz tequila, 4 oz fresh lime juice, 2 oz. simple syrup, 4 oz Agavero orange liqueu

"A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Connoisseur

I want one of those margaritas. I've been hesitant to buy limes, but might have to do it with Memorial Day weekend coming up.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoys View Post
    coincidence!
    PV left over from our December Cabo trip
    first margaritas of the season tonight. found cheap limes ($1.49/lb--$4-5 elsewhere due to crop issues this year)
    filled the shaker.
    I believe it was 6 oz tequila, 4 oz fresh lime juice, 2 oz. simple syrup, 4 oz Agavero orange liqueu
    Sounds good although it seems like it might be a bit on the sweet side. With 4 oz of Agavero orange I am not sure I would include 2 oz of simple syrup as well!

My current favorite is typically with a nice reposado to strike a balance between wood and agave (for large quantities I use Espolon which is unusual in being good, reasonably inexpensive and generally pretty available).

Don't have my recipe on hand. Oh wait, yes I do! I keep it on my phone in the event of a Margarita emergency...

3 oz Espolon reposado or other suitable reposado.
    1 of Cointreau - Solerno blood orange liqueur, Clement Creole Shrubb and Ferrand Dry Curacao make interesting substitutes
    1 oz Damiana - my substitute for the simple syrup although I almost never use simple syrup as I prefer agave nectar. Not sure how much difference it makes using agave nectar but it just seems right! If I don't have Damiana I use agave nectar instead but the Damiana is better! 2 oz of agavero orange (which is made with a lot of agave nectar) in place of both the cointreau and the simple syrup can work as well.
    2 oz lime juice

I like this ratio but if my guests wants a touch more sweetness I can always add a bit more agave nectar!

If I am feeling a bit frisky a dash of mole bitters or orange bitters can be nice. And if you really want to get all upscale cocktail-ish (I may have posted it before on the board somewhere) try this variation from Kindred Cocktails:

Margara
    1 1/2 oz Añejo tequila
    3/4 oz Clément Créole Shrubb
    3/4 oz Lime juice
    1/2 oz Cynar (yes, thats right, artichoke based amaro in a margarita!)
    2 ds Angostura orange bitters (if you can find it)

Shake, strain, serve straight up (or if you prefer on the rocks with a salted rim. I typically only salt half the rim so that you can choose for yourself if you want the salt)

Hmm, this is making me thirsty!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

I agree, probably a little sweet, but my wife liked it--figures.
    Gonna try it without the simple syrup next time, or cut it to 1/4 as much.
    I originally used simple syrup with Cointreau or Gran Marnier as the orange liqueur.
    I also have the Solerno blood orange liqueur.
    Gonna buy limes Friday (off work)--hope they're still cheap.
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ