Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 88 of 90 FirstFirst ... 38788687888990 LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Connoisseur

Re: Tequila Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    Sipping on some Centinela Reposado tonight. Great stuff for around $37.
    One of the best. If I hadn't already dug into bourbon, I'd be running down to get some of this right now.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    One of the best. If I hadn't already dug into bourbon, I'd be running down to get some of this right now.
    I'm really impressed with it. Easily the best Reposado I've had for the money. Looking forward to trying the Anejo.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    I'm really impressed with it. Easily the best Reposado I've had for the money. Looking forward to trying the Anejo.
    Good news and bad news. Good News: If you like the repo, you'll definitely like the añejo. Bad News: It's because they're not that much different. Subtle differences, but I'd take the repo at $5 less. Then again, I tend towards a good repo...

Connoisseur

It's a mezcal but I hope it's okay! I got a Del Maguey St. Louis last night. I had read it was smoky and chalky, but I get fresh creamy agave with just a tad smokiness and only a little hint of the minerally volcanic soil stuff. Delicious but disappointing, considering the price.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    It's a mezcal but I hope it's okay! I got a Del Maguey St. Louis last night. I had read it was smoky and chalky, but I get fresh creamy agave with just a tad smokiness and only a little hint of the minerally volcanic soil stuff. Delicious but disappointing, considering the price.
    Lots of different DM stuff. Which variation did you have?

Connoisseur

Lots of different DM stuff. Which variation did you have?
    It's Lot SLR 123, St. Luis del Rio. I like it a lot better now, after my wife bought me a bunch of tequila for my birthday. Compared to them, it's a real standout. I get a LOT of hot rubber tennis ball, and I mean that in the very best way.

Connoisseur

Hosted a tasting the other night. Centinela round bottle was a stand out along with Don Pilar Añejo.

Guru

Hosted a tasting the other night. Centinela round bottle was a stand out along with Don Pilar Añejo.
    Glad you still like it but I was fairly disappointed by the reposado I picked up a few months back and tried at a Wednesday tasting a couple of weeks ago. Maybe it will improve with a bit of time now that it is open but this particular day it seemed rather uninspired. Heck, the Joe Crow dressed up in a swanky bottle was a lot better and one of my favorite bargain bottles, El Mayor anejo, was better that particular day. It tasted, and looked, a bit thin and watery.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Glad you still like it but I was fairly disappointed by the reposado I picked up a few months back and tried at a Wednesday tasting a couple of weeks ago. Maybe it will improve with a bit of time now that it is open but this particular day it seemed rather uninspired. Heck, the Joe Crow dressed up in a swanky bottle was a lot better and one of my favorite bargain bottles, El Mayor anejo, was better that particular day. It tasted, and looked, a bit thin and watery.
    It's a different tequila than many. It's floral, honeyed and fruity. Kind of like a Glenmorangie of tequilas. It's a mood tequila for me, but when in the right mood, it's perfect.

Guru

It's a different tequila than many. It's floral, honeyed and fruity. Kind of like a Glenmorangie of tequilas. It's a mood tequila for me, but when in the right mood, it's perfect.
    Will have to try it again of course, perhaps on its own, but I don't recall it being any of that when we tried it. It was just light and thin without much of anything else. The fact that it is so light may have let it be overshadowed by other spirits that day.
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 07-14-2014 at 14:40.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum