Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Guru

Prime Malt Brand?

Anyone know the deal with this stuff? Are they NDPs? And are any of them worth consideration?

I've only recently noticed them around here. Well to be fair only recently started paying any kind of attention to the Scotch section. I can't find much info on them at all. The price point on many if not most of them is attractive enough, but just thought I'd throw this out there before taking the plunge on one.

Virtuoso

Re: Prime Malt Brand?

I believe it's a Duncan Taylor brand. It's an independent bottler (sort of what we would call an NDP here, though with Scotch, they usually disclose the distillery). I've never had a Prime Malt, but like most indies, they probably vary.

Apprentice

Re: Prime Malt Brand?

Yes, it's a Duncan Taylor line. It seems to be more focused on pricepoint than on outright quality from what I can tell. The only one I've tried was a Dailuaine Prime Malt - I forget the age - and was thoroughly unimpressed. I keep thinking I might pick up the Glenburie and/or Teaninich editions since you just don't see many expressions from either distillery but just haven't done it yet.

have fun,
    aaron
    "The best whisky you'll ever have is the one you share."