Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Col. E.H. Taylor Straight Rye

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    Perhaps they are looking to use the bottling line at Barton as well.
    Well, if it has both DSPs on the label, it's either BT juice bottled at Barton or Barton juice bottled at BT. I think I'll have to give it a try, but with all the guesswork involved I feel left out of the process in a way that BT products don't usually make me feel. With BT, we usually (usually!) know where the juice in the bottle comes from. Although the CEHT line seems to be turning towards bucking that trend a bit.

Does charging an arm and a leg and shrouding the source of the whiskey in mystery go hand in hand?
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

For BIB, you have to show where distilled and where bottled. I could argue that the way the most recent approved label deals with the DSPs is not really responsive to the rule, since it doesn't tell you where it was distilled and bottled, it just limits the possibilities.

They told me it was distilled at BT, but it's possible they aged it at Barton. As much warehouse capacity as Barton has, and as little as they've been distilling, tells me they're using the warehouses at Barton for whiskey they're distilling in Frankfort.

They won't bottle something that's aged at BT in Bardstown, but they can distill something in Frankfort, tanker it to Bardstown, and enter and age it there. if they do that they'll bottle it in Bardstown too. Bottle it where it's aged isn't any legal thing, it's just more efficient and I know that's Sazerac's policy.

It seems odd that they would do anything involving Taylor anywhere except BT since that was the whole idea behind acquiring the brand from Beam, to bring the brand back to the distillery Taylor once owned. However, when they distilled the first batch of this rye they had no idea it was going to be Taylor. Although it's NAS, we know it's at least four years old, which would mean it was distilled in 2008 at the latest, and they didn't acquire Taylor until the summer of 2009.
    Last edited by cowdery; 08-10-2012 at 19:37.

Connoisseur

Yesterday I was in my local store. They had some BT rye white dog. I always like to check out other folks white dog. I have Heaven Hills, but never had the BT. Boy was I suprised. I would have never guessed it to be rye. Had not rye smell to it at all. Smelled like malt whiskey. I do like their aged version, but never would have guessed it came from this.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    Yesterday I was in my local store. They had some BT rye white dog. I always like to check out other folks white dog. I have Heaven Hills, but never had the BT. Boy was I suprised. I would have never guessed it to be rye. Had not rye smell to it at all. Smelled like malt whiskey. I do like their aged version, but never would have guessed it came from this.
    Now that my THH has been open for a few weeks, I'm getting a strong malt flavor from it that was completely invisible when I first opened it.

Let's not drift too far off the subject, Please.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Allow me to bring it back. Had a chance to taste the Taylor rye. Like it. Mint jumped out. Bears some resemblance to LDI rye, but just a little. Seems older. Certainly more barrel notes. Decently aged, not too hot. Wants a little water. Also wants a little corn. I find all of these all-rye ryes lack body. Anyway, it's a very worthy whiskey. Up to you if it's worth the price. I only got a tiny bottle, but it was free.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Mint jumped out.
    Wants a little water.
    Also wants a little corn.
    I find all of these all-rye ryes lack body.
    Thanx 4 the review, I'll pass on this one.
    ovh

Connoisseur

Chuck, any idea on the mashbill besides it being rye and malt?

They won't tell me exactly, but 90% rye, 10% malt is a good guess. If you're just using malt for the enzymes, there's no reason to use more, and it's a lot more expensive. I assume that LDI gets away with 95% rye, 5% malt by using supplemental enzymes.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Allow me to bring it back. Had a chance to taste the Taylor rye. Like it. Mint jumped out. Bears some resemblance to LDI rye, but just a little. Seems older. Certainly more barrel notes. Decently aged, not too hot. Wants a little water. Also wants a little corn. I find all of these all-rye ryes lack body. Anyway, it's a very worthy whiskey. Up to you if it's worth the price. I only got a tiny bottle, but it was free.
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    Thanx 4 the review, I'll pass on this one.
    Yep, no need to break my streak of not putting out my own cash for any of the "all-rye ryes" yet.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011