Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Col. E.H. Taylor Straight Rye

5 % percent of distillers malt will convert it. The regular stuff on the market is strong as anything you would ever wish for. Like brylcream, just a little dab will do you. Malt will stil work in the fermenter as well, but I imagine they are having to use a beta glucanase at least so they can pump it and take pressure off the yeast. I am going to have to try a bottle of this. I rather like that style of rye. Just wish it were more affordable.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

So many products today are some standard juice with another label slapped on it. I give Saz credit for creating a unique-from-scratch whiskey and making it available in only one product. That gives you a justification for the price. Whether or not it's worth the price is a different question.

Connoisseur

Here is a good review of the new rye. Sounds like this will be a limited annual release - shocking BT would release a "rare" and allocated whiskey from a hyped label...
    Last edited by LostBottle; 08-18-2012 at 18:00.

Guru

That's a lot of scratch.

Hoping to hear some things from others here first before deciding whether or not to give it a go.

Enthusiast

"By comparison, the 6-year old Sazerac Straight Rye is the Trace’s Old Overholt, and the 18-year old Sazerac it’s *Wild Turkey 101 Straight Rye*: the high-quality standard and the premium expressions of this American classic."

Nothing like invoking a ghost product that no one can get unless they stumble on it at the back of a shelf. :/

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by shoshani View Post
    "By comparison, the 6-year old Sazerac Straight Rye is the Trace’s Old Overholt, and the 18-year old Sazerac it’s *Wild Turkey 101 Straight Rye*: the high-quality standard and the premium expressions of this American classic."

Nothing like invoking a ghost product that no one can get unless they stumble on it at the back of a shelf. :/
    I knew there was a reason I never liked Saz 18.

But seriously, what an odd thing for the reviewer to say. I d

Anyway, $70, that's a lot for an NAS but cheaper than I thought it would be.
    Last edited by Josh; 08-19-2012 at 11:18.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

This one is >$70....are we going to see the climb in price for each new Col E H release from here forward? I have not bought any of them due to the fact it seemed out of line for 100 proof to be $69.99 with the exception being the barrel strength bottle. Due to my love and fascination with rye, I'll be paying the tab for this new one very soon but not likely the previous ones.

Oh well, what do I know?....the label is steadily selling & the Trace makes a lot more money than I do...lol!
    "I think I'll just stay here and drink"
    .....Merle Haggard

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I've spent a few nights sippin' on this rye, and it's "OK". The most damning thing I can say about a rye, is what I say about this one, however. And that is, that there is simply nothing with it that gets my attention. No slap on the face, punch in the nose till it makes my eyes water type of thing. I like a rye that is a revelation. I want it to yell, "I am rye whiskey, hear me roar!!! The Taylor just seems to squeak, "Tiptoe, through my taste buds." I will say, though, that I haven't run it side-by-side with my other ryes. And, I have not really tried to get analytical with it as yet. To be fair, I'm needing to sit down with this whiskey again, and get all serious-like with it. I hope my opinion changes, and that I am missing something to this point. But, my first impressions are uninspired.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

I have never had it but I'll bet Smokin'Joe summed it up best.
    The bourbon distillers use a 51% rye mashbill when making rye whiskey as per minimum regulations.
    I think it should be a 60% rye minimum, that's what George Washington used and if it was good enough for him, etc.
    I'm sure we would be enjoying a better rye whiskey today if that percentage was used
    ovh

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    Based on BT announcement, I'm betting it is Barton rye and it will be very good.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...l=1#post222625
    Well, I had my hopes up at least for a few moments. I wish BT would pull their head out and give us a Barton rye with some age at a decent proof. I'll be honest, since having my palette go to the dark side I haven't bought a bourbon in a long time, but I still reach for my Fleischmanns Rye occasionally and still amazed at the quality for the price.

I also agree with Chuck, the ryes without corn lack body. Tasted a couple of them, noticed it right away and moved on. Give us something better.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"