Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Col. E.H. Taylor Straight Rye

I see it is now available around here. I wanted a bottle, but damn, 70 bucks? I am not in the poor house but I just cannot bring myself to pay that. My liver may go into shock.

Disciple

Got a bottle of this today in Ohio. Some one at the local store is on top of things. Saved me a trip to Pa.

Thomas

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by BFerguson View Post
    ...Why should I have to defend myself for this?

The issue of money of something to be discussed when a store is gouging the market, but not a issue that should be tossed to another member for mentioning that they will be going out and getting a bottle, or multiple of something.

B
    I find it informative when member's post pricing information, as well as sharing their opinion on the value of higher priced whiskies. But, unquestionably, people don't have to defend what they're willing to pay: The forum is not a place for members to be judgmental or critical of one another.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I've spent a few nights sippin' on this rye, and it's "OK". The most damning thing I can say about a rye, is what I say about this one, however. And that is, that there is simply nothing with it that gets my attention. No slap on the face, punch in the nose till it makes my eyes water type of thing. I like a rye that is a revelation. I want it to yell, "I am rye whiskey, hear me roar!!! The Taylor just seems to squeak, "Tiptoe, through my taste buds." I will say, though, that I haven't run it side-by-side with my other ryes. And, I have not really tried to get analytical with it as yet. To be fair, I'm needing to sit down with this whiskey again, and get all serious-like with it. I hope my opinion changes, and that I am missing something to this point. But, my first impressions are uninspired.
    Well, I've had some time to sit down with this rye and get all serious-like with it. And, I'll admit that there is more than I gave it credit for. Not, a lot more, but yes, more. It still doesn't bitch slap me with a huge spicy rye beat down. But, it ain't no bourbon, neither...There is a definite rye bread flavoring to it, which is really quite nice. Thick and bready. I tend to like whiskies that cause me to start physically chewing...this is one of those. So, after a bit of time, I'll conclude that this is a well done rye. Not a barn burner, but very solid. At $70 it's not a no-brainer certainly, but I'll go another. Maybe, two...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

Hey Joe, you might like OO then. I'm on my fourth taste (it's become a daily thing) and I'ma getting a chewy Bazooka-with-pepper that conjures memories of my bubble-gum chewing days.

. . . or maybe not:

"I neither like, nor dislike OO and Beam Rye. These ryes are so flat That they border on being comatose. I feel that any discovery effort put into comparing and contrasting them would be about as scintillating as doing the same with Aquafina and Dasani water."[smokinjoe]

Palate burn-out? Anyhoo, I'm lookin' to bunker some of this double-ought juice @ <$12/750.
    Last edited by MauiSon; 11-30-2012 at 16:06.

Virtuoso

[QUOTE=smokinjoe;310694 So, after a bit of time, I'll conclude that this is a well done rye. Not a barn burner, but very solid. At $70 it's not a no-brainer certainly, but I'll go another. Maybe, two...[/QUOTE]

Cracked another one of these open tonight, I think you stated it well. This is a solid rye. Happy to have a couple more on hand, and thinking that a little more on top of that couldn't hurt either.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MauiSon View Post
    Hey Joe, you might like OO then. I'm on my fourth taste (it's become a daily thing) and I'ma getting a chewy Bazooka-with-pepper that conjures memories of my bubble-gum chewing days.

. . . or maybe not:

"I neither like, nor dislike OO and Beam Rye. These ryes are so flat That they border on being comatose. I feel that any discovery effort put into comparing and contrasting them would be about as scintillating as doing the same with Aquafina and Dasani water."[smokinjoe]

Palate burn-out? Anyhoo, I'm lookin' to bunker some of this double-ought juice @ <$12/750.
    MS, it sounds like you've found a winner for yourself. That is always a good thing. Enjoy!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Advanced Taster

EH Taylor rye is great. It's like drinking an old rye in a Wild West saloon. I'm going to try it next with a Manhattan

Connoisseur

How does this stuff hold up against WP?
    Last edited by LostBottle; 12-02-2012 at 10:25.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    How does this stuff hold up against WP?
    Will, I have an open bottle of the Taylor rye. You're welcome to sample some anytime. Personally, I like the Taylor over Baby Saz. A sbs with WP would be a fine idea.