Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Col. E.H. Taylor Straight Rye

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainQ View Post
    Will, I assume you mean dusty hunting HW age stated ryes as I doubt there will be any new rye labels from them. Whistlepig is good, but overpriced as well. I say give the CEHT rye a chance. Looking forward to tasting this new expression from BT.
    You make a couple good points here that I will concede I agree with. I will give the whiskey a try and will buy a bottle if it blows me away - I am just not sure a NAS rye will do that though. I also agree that Whistlepig is overpriced at ~$75, but at 10 years old (soon to be twelve) it looks much less so when compared to a $70 rye we have to assume is only 4 years old - I will gladly pay $5 extra for 3 times the age! I will miss the older High West ryes, but Rendezvous is also phenomenal with it's 6/16 mix and can be had for less than $50 which also makes it a good value.

Dave, I think the only way to really answer our questions and concerns is to get together later this Fall and try it in comparison to a smorgasbord of good rye I happen to have laying around.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Buffalo Trace made it in Frankfort.

One good thing about kissing Wisconsin ass is that you don't have to worry about missing.
    I'm never again gonna worry about being off-topic!

Advanced Taster

The information I've read said the 11 year old is going to be priced at $111. It would follow that the 12 year old will then be even more expensive. You may be paying $50 more for 3 times the age.

That said, I'm not excited about the CEHT (or most of this hyped brand in general). I have a few bottles of WTR101 in the bunker that I bought for $20. I don't know that I believe the QPR is there for the CEHT.

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    You make a couple good points here that I will concede I agree with. I will give the whiskey a try and will buy a bottle if it blows me away - I am just not sure a NAS rye will do that though. I also agree that Whistlepig is overpriced at ~$75, but at 10 years old (soon to be twelve) it looks much less so when compared to a $70 rye we have to assume is only 4 years old - I will gladly pay $5 extra for 3 times the age! I will miss the older High West ryes, but Rendezvous is also phenomenal with it's 6/16 mix and can be had for less than $50 which also makes it a good value.

Dave, I think the only way to really answer our questions and concerns is to get together later this Fall and try it in comparison to a smorgasbord of good rye I happen to have laying around.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by redbear View Post
    The information I've read said the 11 year old is going to be priced at $111. It would follow that the 12 year old will then be even more expensive.
    Thanks for that bit of info, I had no idea. If true, someone needs to let Whistlepig know 11 years is a full decade short of a rye worth 3 figures.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    We can't all be as svelte as Chuck.
    That why I love to visit Wisconsin. There I'm young and thin.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    Based on BT announcement, I'm betting it is Barton rye and it will be very good.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...l=1#post222625
    I wondered about that too but they say no, made in Frankfort at BT.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I wondered about that too but they say no, made in Frankfort at BT.
    Any idea why the label (at least as recently approved by TTB) lists both DSP 12 and 113? (The other CEHT releases didn't.)
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Virtuoso

Any idea why the label (at least as recently approved by TTB) lists both DSP 12 and 113? (The other CEHT releases didn't.)
    Interesting. The label that got approved in August 2010 lists DSP-113 only, but as you say, the one from August 2012 lists both 12 and 113.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    Interesting. The label that got approved in August 2010 lists DSP-113 only, but as you say, the one from August 2012 lists both 12 and 113.
    I would just assume there will be more releases as with the 4 we have had with bourbon and that at some point there will be a Barton distilled or at least mixed with Frankfort release. I'll believe them if they say this first release is from Frankfort only.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Trippah and Admin

Perhaps they are looking to use the bottling line at Barton as well.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?