Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Col. E.H. Taylor Straight Rye

For 70 bucks they can stick it where the sun don't shine.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Guru

There was certainly plenty of it on the shelves today, although I'm sure someone will snatch it up.

Virtuoso

Anyone try to make a rye with very high malted barley content? I'm curious, since you get such a great mouth feel on Scotch whisky. What about a 65/35 or 70/30 rye/malted barley whiskey? Might have a nice rye punch with a full-bodied mouth feel?
    Mark

Connoisseur

It sounds like the "1st AND ONLY" on the label may be referring to bottle buying patterns when people realize they just paid $70+ for an uninspiring rye.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    Anyone try to make a rye with very high malted barley content? I'm curious, since you get such a great mouth feel on Scotch whisky. What about a 65/35 or 70/30 rye/malted barley whiskey? Might have a nice rye punch with a full-bodied mouth feel?
    Copper Fox is 2/3 rye, 1/3 malted barley, I believe. They use a pot still, so you can't really compare it to other ryes, though.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I've spent a few nights sippin' on this rye, and it's "OK". The most damning thing I can say about a rye, is what I say about this one, however. And that is, that there is simply nothing with it that gets my attention. No slap on the face, punch in the nose till it makes my eyes water type of thing. I like a rye that is a revelation. I want it to yell, "I am rye whiskey, hear me roar!!! The Taylor just seems to squeak, "Tiptoe, through my taste buds." I will say, though, that I haven't run it side-by-side with my other ryes. And, I have not really tried to get analytical with it as yet. To be fair, I'm needing to sit down with this whiskey again, and get all serious-like with it. I hope my opinion changes, and that I am missing something to this point. But, my first impressions are uninspired.
    Joe pretty much nailed it. Gorgeous copper color... wonderful spearmint on the entry.... spicy mid-palate... soft finish. Very drinkable but no wow factor.

Tried a side-by-side with Ritt BiB. The EHT is mintier; the Ritt more well-rounded and complex. This is to be expected given the difference in mash bills. A better match would be the EHT and WhistlePig or Jeff Rye.

At the cost of three bottles of Ritt, the choice is easy: go with any of a number of other ryes.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    Joe pretty much nailed it. Gorgeous copper color... wonderful spearmint on the entry.... spicy mid-palate... soft finish. Very drinkable but no wow factor.

Tried a side-by-side with Ritt BiB. The EHT is mintier; the Ritt more well-rounded and complex. This is to be expected given the difference in mash bills. A better match would be the EHT and WhistlePig or Jeff Rye.

At the cost of three bottles of Ritt, the choice is easy: go with any of a number of other ryes.
    And that's exactly what I did tonight. Saw the Taylor Rye on a shelf for $74.99 but there were two Rittenhouse 100p Ryes sitting right next to it for $20 each.

The Ritts went home with me.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    Very drinkable but no wow factor.

I think I would rather have this attribute most days than the wow factor, as there seem to be fewer bourbons with this as time go by. They are certainly out there, but availbility is always a issue.

The descriptions so far, and this statement no different, remind me of how folks, myself included, thought of the first release. It was very drinkable, but there was not the wow that many expected.

Personally, I will be happy to grab a couple of these and stash them away, sounds like a fine rye overall to drink.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Disciple

"Very drinkable but no wow factor" can pretty much sum up the entire CEHT line-up.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    "Very drinkable but no wow factor" can pretty much sum up the entire CEHT line-up.
    Well put.

bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog