Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Novice

Re: I just dumped a bottle of EC12 down the drain

Quote Originally Posted by Ejmharris View Post
    Although I very much enjoy the OWA/W12 vat, the OWA by itself is still one of my favorites. Add some water, maybe enough to drop the proof a couple points and it opens up nicely. Also ye longer it is open the better it gets. Don't write it off solo just yet.
    Suggestion noted. Thank you.
    It's been some time since I've tried it solo.

I received some Party Source private barrel of OWA this week. I'm looking forward to tasting any difference in the profile of this single barrel version. I'll be sure to make it last some time so I can see how the flavor changes over time in the bottle. Maybe I'll crack a bottle of each OWA today and get them ready Easter.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I once had a bottle of ORVW 10/107 that was truly horrendous and simply could not be consumed. Every person that tried it thought it tasted like day-old whiskey from an ashtray. Never had another bad one, so who knows why that bottle sucked so bad. Cork taint is out because there is no cork!
    Somebody probably took your ORVW 10/107 and replaced it with day-old whiskey from an ashtray.
    Sometimes the answers to the greatest mysteries are the simplest ones.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TheJimmy View Post
    Somebody probably took your ORVW 10/107 and replaced it with day-old whiskey from an ashtray.
    Sometimes the answers to the greatest mysteries are the simplest ones.
    That would be my brother, no doubt. He once put minced garlic in my shampoo!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Virtuoso

Perhaps try a bottle of Elijah Craig 18 since you like some age. Years ago, I had a good bottle and enjoyed it. Again, I read not every bottle is consistent though.

Cheers
    --Hugh

Guru

Some years back I qwit buying EC 12 because I just wasn't enjoying it anymore...... or I kept getting off bottles.

A lot of folks here love EC 12 but I just don't get it. If it ain't your cup of tea, Hugh, you wouldn't be alone.

With a little bit of Weller 12 and a dash of WLW, so as to keep the proof about the same, OWA can be improved upon. the current NAS is good stuff though. I have a few bottles of the age stated stuff that was some of the last to be bottled and It isn't as good as stuff from just previous years. I think you can identify them with the number 08 on the bottom of the bottle. The color is notiably lighter that the current NAS and the older age stated. This little blending trick has made these bottles more enjoyable for me.

Taster

Some people just don't like the Heaven Hill profile. Is that the issue, or is it a bad bottle?

To my taste buds, EC12 is assertive and a bit spicy. It can have some burn on the end, but not too much. There are notes of dried fruits and you should notice charred wood (but not to the extent of EC18). It tends toward sweetness, but I haven't had a bottle that was overly sweet in my opinion.

A bad bottle, to me, isn't something you just don't like. It is where something has gone wrong and almost no one would like it. I don't think I have ever bought a bottle that was corked as happens with wine.

That said, others on here have reported EC12 is prone to wide variation from bottle to bottle and it seems to get reported often as a "bad bottle", so maybe the likelihood of getting a bad bottle of EC12 is higher. Who knows?

Scott

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by unklebunk
    I once had a bottle of ORVW 10/107 that was truly horrendous and simply could not be consumed. Every person that tried it thought it tasted like day-old whiskey from an ashtray.
    Someone replaced your ORVW with Laphhroaig!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    Someone replaced your ORVW with Laphhroaig!
    If I could make my own Laphroaig by dumping whiskey in an ashtray, I would!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by LongBeachScott View Post
    Some people just don't like the Heaven Hill profile. Is that the issue, or is it a bad bottle?

To my taste buds, EC12 is assertive and a bit spicy. It can have some burn on the end, but not too much. There are notes of dried fruits and you should notice charred wood (but not to the extent of EC18). It tends toward sweetness, but I haven't had a bottle that was overly sweet in my opinion.

A bad bottle, to me, isn't something you just don't like. It is where something has gone wrong and almost no one would like it. I don't think I have ever bought a bottle that was corked as happens with wine.

That said, others on here have reported EC12 is prone to wide variation from bottle to bottle and it seems to get reported often as a "bad bottle", so maybe the likelihood of getting a bad bottle of EC12 is higher. Who knows?

Scott
    I'm going to guess there's a specific component of the EC flavor profile that isn't appealing to some people, and likely there are bottles that have a stronger aspect of that flavor.To some people it tastes like crap, and others find it delicious.

I've had some raw milk cheeses that literally taste like ass (or worse ) to some folks, and others eat them like there's no tomorrow.
    Different strokes.

Advanced Taster

The last 2 bottles I had were consistant. I taste notes of sweet black tea whenever I have this pour. I never had any bitter notes, but someone on my other whiskey forum reported the same thing you did. I would just send it back, my liquor store accepts open returns.

On a similar note...I heard someone say they had a bottle of Dickel 12 that was sour and bitter. And that is one whiskey that's far from bitter.