Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EB 15 YO

Enthusiast

EB 15 YO

Is this worth buying?

Thought I would ask for some if it was any good.

Disciple

Re: EB 15 YO

I would take a crack at it, it is very reasonably priced. I inherited 2 inches of the bottom of a bottle fromlast years bourbon fesitval (Marvin's by way of Omar, I believe...) and I enjoyed what was left enough to want to buy a whole bottle for myself. Just be warned that it is an extra aged bourbon and will tatse woody. . .

TomC

Guru

Yes, Tom is right it is extra aged and does taste 'woody' but in a very good way. I thoroughly enjoy this bourbon, expecially at a price of $20 a bottle ($15 during the month of January from internetwines during their 25% off sale). Grab a bottle and enjoy!

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I like it a lot, but it's not for everyone. The taste of wood is very strong but among extra, extra-aged bourbons, I think the Ezra B may be the most drinkable and it's certainly the most affordable.

Administrator in exile

I have never seen this bourbon in Lexington. How is the availability of this one?

Guru

I personally have never seen it available here in NY. I got mine from InternetWines (Randall's) during their 25% off sale. But I do know a liquor store right in Loretto did get some in a while back. Even on alot of websites it is hard to find... But Tom says here that it is available across the whole state of New Hampshire. I always wondered as well why it is hard to find.

Disciple

Yep I saw it in NH, I saw it at Toddy's in Bardstown, and I saw it at the Cork 'n Bottle in Covington, KY when I went to see the Reds.

TomC

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Generally I like well-aged whiskey but occasionally the wood taste is not pleasant or stands out too much. I was hoping for big things when I bought Old Commonwealth at Binnie's. It is well worth the money but seemed a little woody and (to use a wine term) "dumb", ie. closed-in, not fully developed. I thought this was the same whiskey as the Van Winkle 107 proof 10 year old but it does not taste the same to me. Ditto for my Van Winkle Old Time Rye 12 years old that I bought at the same store. This one was a little hard-edged and woody, very good whiskey and well worth the money but not as supple and balanced as earlier Old Time's I recall. I sampled it next to the current Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 year old rye (really about 17 years old as we know) and the Family Reserve was better than the Old Time: it had a deeper wild fruit taste, was charred more than woody (woody as in tannic) and confirmed my resolve that this is one of the best straight whiskeys anywhere for any money. Again, I thought I had read that these two VW products were the same except for a proof difference, but repeated comparisons over the years seem to belie that understanding. I wonder if dilution can "uncover" woodiness? I suppose this is possible, but the two ryes seem like different products to me. My bottle of Old Time was half full whereas the Family Reserve was almost full. I added half the latter to the former. This vatting (mingling shall we say) improved the Old Time a fair bit. I suppose with such whiskeys one gets variations because each cask is different, therefore each batch and bottling will be somewhat different, plus the whiskeys get older in the barrel yet still (sometimes to the betterment of the drink) are bottled without a label change. What I find though is that Family Reserve is always in tip-top shape - I have a feeling Mr. Van Winkle may save his very best barrels of rye whiskey for that label.

Gary

Disciple

I thought this was the same whsikey as the Van Winkle 107 proof 10 year

We have it from Julian's own mouth that it is. . .

TomC

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Jeff,
    I saw EB 15 YO at Liquor Barn, on Hurstbourne, in Louisville. If I remember, it was not that reasonably priced. Don't quote me, but it was closer to $45/bottle and therefore not purchased by me. I do have a bottle in reserve, that was a gift, so I don't know the purchase price.