Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: High West ryes

Virtuoso
    Lesson of the day: double check my facts

Virtuoso
    However I still maintain it was said that the 2yr rye is HW juice

Virtuoso

Re: High West ryes

From the High West webstie

"The 2 year old has a mash bill with 95% rye and 5% barley malt and is fermented with High West’s proprietary yeast."

It could imply they're making 95/5 rye themselves

Enthusiast

Maybe. But their Silver Rye is 80 rye/ 20 malted rye

Steffen

Virtuoso
    Here's the word back from an email

Thanks for your email and it was a good pleasure to meet with you today. You really seem to know and have great appreciation for whiskey, qualities I enjoy!

I apologize for any confusion that existed on our whiskeys, though I may have misunderstood your question. We have a lot of different whiskeys with various mashbills and of different provenance. I'll give you a broad run down of all the rye whiskeys in our program and please let me know if this doesn't clear things up:

- 95% rye, 5% malted barley - basically anywhere you see a 95% rye mashbill (in our brand or any other) it is a LDI distillate. "95" is kind of their thing... We currently blend this into our Double Rye! at 2 years old and our Rendezvous at 6 years.

- 53% rye, 37% corn, 10% malted barley - this was a former mashbill of LDI, though they do not produce it anymore. We have some of this that we pulled from barrel at 16 years and use it mostly for blending into the Double Rye! program.

- 80% rye, 10% corn, 10% malted barley - this also was a former mashbill of LDI (and I'd venture to say their best) and we have some that we also pulled from barrel at 16 years. It is used for blending into our Rendezvous program

- 100% rye (80% unmalted, 20% malted) - this is everything that is now distilled at High West, in Park City. Currently, it goes into bottle as our Silver Rye but the majority goes into barrel. The oldest that we have is just over 4 years and future Double Rye! (once we run out of the 2yr old LDI stuff) will be bottled with a portion of this production. The rest will be held for various single age expressions, etc.

Connoisseur

Well, I'm sure if we just wait long enough, Mat will probably be by to shed what light he can on the questions at hand.

He is going to know as well as anybody.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by StraightNoChaser View Post

The 21yr is about to have its last bottling. 16yr is gone forever, get it while you can.
    The 21yr is something special. I've finished one bottle open over the last year and having recently tasted this again during a tasting that Mat hosted a couple of weeks ago, confirmed my beliefs that bunking a couple has been a wise move.

This was from a batch of 100 barrels if I remember correctly, and that is not much in the grand scale of product lines. Savor it while you can.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Virtuoso

Supposedly a few cases of the 21yr will make it to Dallas in the next month or two... it's on my radar

Connoisseur

About the email, David has said that both of the 16-year-olds came from Barton. If that is an LDI mash bill, did Barton get the whiskey from LDI somewhere along the way?
    Last edited by LostBottle; 04-10-2012 at 18:27.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    About the email, David has said that both of the 16-year-olds came from Barton. If that is an LDI mash bill, did Barton get the whiskey from LDI somewhere along the way?
    Well my thought is that it's possible that Barton made the rye for Seagrams for use in some Canadian, but I'm pretty satisfied with the evidence that they were distilled at Barton.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--