Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: High West ryes

Virtuoso

Re: High West ryes

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    Bourye has a 20% rye 4R whiskey, so it's one of the OEs, not an OB.

http://www.highwest.com/spirits/bourye/
    You are absolutely correct. I forgot about it being the 20% recipe...maybe the rye was talking a little louder than I wanted to admit.
    "I think I'll just stay here and drink"
    .....Merle Haggard

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    Since it is not to be seen again, I picked up a Bourye last week out of curiosity. The Rendezvous I just finished got better with air and I expect this one will do same. The first pour was just flat and uninspiring in terms of the rye. I could detect the 4R (OBSV I think) and that made it more inviting for future sampling. The 2d & 3d pours were a lot better with the rye beginning to open up nicely to pair with the 4R.

The concept is a little strange to me, being a longtime bourbon lover and only 'discovering' rye in the last 2-3 years. However, I am up to giving anything a shot once. Jury still out whether I spend $60 on another though.

This one is proving to be a chameleon for me. The first couple of pours reminded me of Ritt BIB in that it seemed like a rye-heavy bourbon. A couple of weeks later, I'm picking up a lot more of the LDI rye. It's very good, but I don't know what to expect each time I reach for the bottle!
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Virtuoso

Local shop just got the HW21 rye Batch #10... for $135. A bit out of my price range, even with all the glowing reviews...

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by StraightNoChaser View Post
    Local shop just got the HW21 rye Batch #10... for $135. A bit out of my price range, even with all the glowing reviews...
    I honestly think it's worth every penny. Fascinating stuff, mainly due to it being aged in used cooperage.

Taster

I don't care so much about numbers and sources but I very much like High West products! When I drink and smoke I want to FORGET about numbers!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by mrviognier View Post
    Yes, the 16yr olds in both the Double Rye! and Rendezvous are Barton-sourced. The 2yr in Double Rye! is LDI...I'll have to talk to my Texas rep to set him straight.

Feel free to reach out with any other questions.

I sure wish I had had a chance to grab a 16yo. Never saw it on any shelves in West TN but seen plenty of others. For whatever reason, Rendezvous didn't do a lot for me but Bourye been a different story. Thinking about getting another while more plentiful in my parts as well as giving the Double a shot. Scotch is not my thing....so, while the Campfire sounds great, think I'll respectively pass on that one. For Scotch lovers, probably the bee's knees. The 21yo is pretty much out of my wallet range at present but hoping to try it by end of year.

Thanks for the good work and product coming from High West....looking forward to more in the future. Are you still planning to be at TPS on Sept 7th? Anything new for them with your arrival? Love TPS and Jay always a great source of advice. Thanks again!
    Last edited by Old Lamplighter; 09-01-2012 at 14:05.
    "I think I'll just stay here and drink"
    .....Merle Haggard

Enthusiast

Will definitely be at TPS on Friday...I need to restock some 4R 1B BS! We'll be pouring pretty much the whole lineup, and I will bring samples of our latest creation, American Prairie Reserve Bourbon.

FYI, I'll be behind the bar at Old Kentucky Bourbon Bar in Covington the night before. Hope to see you there...we can discuss the merits of the SEC!
    Mat Garretson
    HIGH WEST DISTILLERY

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by mrviognier View Post
    Will definitely be at TPS on Friday...I need to restock some 4R 1B BS! We'll be pouring pretty much the whole lineup, and I will bring samples of our latest creation, American Prairie Reserve Bourbon.

FYI, I'll be behind the bar at Old Kentucky Bourbon Bar in Covington the night before. Hope to see you there...we can discuss the merits of the SEC!
    I will swing by the OKBB on Thursday. Will be at TPS for sure on Friday.

Connoisseur

Just signed up for the the TPS event on Friday. Looking forward to tasting some of the High West products for the first time. I am still trying to get my wife to stop and grab me some of the original Bourye on the way through Indy.

Connoisseur
    I got to attend the High West tasting last night at TPS. Mat did a great job with giving us the history of High West and the background of their whiskeys. It is quite refreshing to see a company that is so straight forward with where their whiskey comes from and what goes in their blends. We tasted the following whiskeys. They are listed below how I would rank them from last night:

Rendezvous
    21 year old (crap I don't recall the name)
    Double Rye
    Son of Bourye
    Campfire
    Silver Oat - oat white light whiskey
    silver rye - rye white whiskey

The herbal earthy tones in the rendezvous is what gave it top billing for me last night. There is something about this whiskey that I really enjoyed. I did really like the 21 year old Barton rye. It was something special. I will probably kick myself for not picking up before it disappears forever. I went in expecting to not like the Campfire at all. It is all Scotch on the nose. The pallet gives you a touch of the rye spice and a nice sweet bourbon finish. Otters was a lot going on there. The Scotch tones will probably keep me from ever buying it but wouldn't turn it down at a friends house. The white whiskeys were a lot better than most I have had. The oat had a good fruity nose and taste. It is one I would consider buying to replace the vodka in my wife's cocktails.