Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: High West ryes

Connoisseur

Re: High West ryes

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Used cooperage for the entire 21 years LB, that doesn't sound like something a US distiller would've done.
    Barton distilled for the Canadian market, never shipped/picked up, later bought by HW for their 21 year.

Enthusiast

The 21yr is a Barton Rye in used cooperage. At the time of distillation they were trying a number of different mashbills (and, I believe, yeasts), the idea being that, after the tests results were logged, they'd dump the whiskeys into their Canadian program. This particular lot was so tasty, that they held on to it. There really wasn't a program to put it in...couldn't be called 'Straight', and Barton wasn't about to bottle 80-100 barrels as a one-off product. So, there it sat...until David happened upon it.
    Mat Garretson
    HIGH WEST DISTILLERY

Guru

Hope somebody in Saz marketing is paying attention.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by mrviognier View Post
    The 21yr is a Barton Rye in used cooperage. At the time of distillation they were trying a number of different mashbills (and, I believe, yeasts), the idea being that, after the tests results were logged, they'd dump the whiskeys into their Canadian program. This particular lot was so tasty, that they held on to it. There really wasn't a program to put it in...couldn't be called 'Straight', and Barton wasn't about to bottle 80-100 barrels as a one-off product. So, there it sat...until David happened upon it.
    Thanks for the excellent info Mat!! I love the 21yr rye and am fortunate enough to be on my 3rd bottle. I have some very nice friends! unfortunately my wife finds this expression to be agreeable as well. I might need to decanter the rest and put something else in that bottle.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by jtexaslonestar View Post
    unfortunately my wife finds this expression to be agreeable as well. I might need to decanter the rest and put something else in that bottle.
    Hmm... devious, but likely effective. I'll need to remember this....

Guru

Oh I wouldn't say devious actually, there's a certain amount of detente in marriage and we guys have to stick together.

Connoisseur

Oh I wouldn't say devious actually, there's a certain amount of detente in marriage and we guys have to stick together.

Very true. Give'em an inch and they'll take a mile. And that mile could translate into 750mL of HW21.

Enthusiast

It was meant in a more humorous vein, in the sense of "clever".

I note for the record that the chemist in me didn't even twitch at the idea of an improperly labeled bottle, 'cause indeed, we guys have to stick together.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by SFS View Post
    It was meant in a more humorous vein, in the sense of "clever".

I note for the record that the chemist in me didn't even twitch at the idea of an improperly labeled bottle, 'cause indeed, we guys have to stick together.
    That's cool, I caught the "clever"ness. And improperly labeled bottles are not our friends. Remind me of that in the future if you see me post a thread called " Help! my hw21 tastes like JB rye!"

Guru

High West ryes

I left a 375ml bottle of HW21 @ my parents place in SLC and next time I visited, my mom had already used it for cooking... Aargh!!!!!

She did say that it was good cooking wine...

Should've relabeled it as facial cleanser or something.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof