Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Rittenhouse DSPKY354 on its way out

The next bottling of Rittenhouse may likely be DSPKY1 depending on stocks. HH has been distilling for Ritt for just over 4 years now so they switchover is imminent. According to them, Ritt was made at BF to their exacting specifications. Their yeast, their mashbill, their grains, their recipe exactly as they would have done it, just a stone's throw away at the Shively distillery. The difference between the two distillates is supposedly negligible so hopefully we won't experience any DSP shock once the new stocks start rolling out.

Another nugget for you: There is talk about releasing a cask strength rye under the PHC label.

Virtuoso

Re: Rittenhouse DSPKY354 on its way out

Quote Originally Posted by StraightNoChaser View Post
    Another nugget for you: There is talk about releasing a cask strength rye under the PHC label.
    I won't believe it until I hear it from Harlan Wheately.

By the way, do we know how old Rittehouse is? I've always assumed it to be the minimum 4 y/o but I guess anything is possible.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Virtuoso
    Minimum 4yr since its a straight rye

Advanced Taster

Chuck posted this in his blog a few days ago. Did you hear this elsewhere?

Virtuoso

Minimum 4yr since its a straight rye
    I meant is it older than 4.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Virtuoso
    Quote Originally Posted by redbear View Post
    Chuck posted this in his blog a few days ago. Did you hear this elsewhere?
    From Rob Hutchins of HH.

Virtuoso
    Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    I meant is it older than 4.
    Sorry, didn't grasp the point of your question. I didn't ask.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

"Their yeast, their mashbill, their grains, their recipe exactly as they would have done it."

I've reported them saying that in the past too, before they bought Bernheim and were making everything at BF and Beam. See what happens? When folks from the distillery tell you stuff, it's tempting to take them at their word.

And that, while not a lie, is a bunch of fluff. And as I have always said, they don't usually lie, but they do spin.

Since you guys want cold reality, you should know that's largely bullshit. In reality, BF went into their files, found a rye they had made successfully at that distillery before, and made that. Of course HH was involved, they checked it along the way, and declared it good. It was pretty much the same way with the bourbon.

One reason HH bought Bernheim is because they liked the BF distillery and Bernheim has a lot of similarities. In both places, you can very easily run a new recipe, change a yeast, etc. That said, the Bernheim-made Rittenhouse probably will be very close because that's the recipe they're making there, not the one they were making at Bardstown.

With both the bourbon and the rye, it was pretty much like any contract distilling job. I'm not saying the statement above is untrue, it's just a bit overstated. It creates an image that is somewhat less than accurate.

One reason this is the case is because the recipes are very similar to begin with, same with the bourbons. Interesting fact about yeast is that BF has a yeast room, so they likely used the Beam yeast when they made HH's bourbon there, but when they moved to Bernheim it doesn't have a yeast room, and HH wouldn't spend the million dollars it would take to build one, so they had to switch to dry yeast, although they worked with the manufacturer to get their yeast in a dry form.

Despite all of the recent attacks on me, I think most people here know I try whenever possible to cut through the producer bullshit. Anybody who thinks I'm a producer mouthpiece either hasn't been paying attention or has a personal agenda.
    Last edited by cowdery; 04-10-2012 at 14:24.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Despite all of the recent attacks on me, I think most people here know I try whenever possible to cut through the producer bullshit. Anybody who thinks I'm a producer mouthpiece either hasn't been paying attention or has a personal agenda.
    What are you then Chuck? Does your professional profile not identify you as a "marketing writer for a variety of commercial clients"?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

What are you then Chuck? Does your professional profile not identify you as a "marketing writer for a variety of commercial clients"?
    And that makes me a producer mouthpiece?

Maybe I should mention that I haven't done any marketing work for a major distillery client in about 20 years, but I do have clients in other, unrelated industries.

Look, there's a reason this board has a rule against ad hominum comments. We need to get back to that. I shouldn't have to defend myself because I shouldn't be attacked. I'm sure a moderator would be happy to explain the rule to you.
    Last edited by cowdery; 04-10-2012 at 15:14.