Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Rittenhouse DSPKY354 on its way out

Regardless, I didn't perceive anything I heard today as exaggeration. Rob knew who I was from my previous posts and took a very "no frills" approach with our conversation. His language may be practiced and attractive, but I didn't sense for a second he was feeding me "fluff."

I mean, let's face it, he knew where the conversation would end up

Connoisseur

Is Pikesville already Bernheim rye since it's only 3 years old?

Hopefully the flavor profile of Rittenhouse does not change too much since it is such a wonderful whiskey. Since there are so many variables that go into creating a whiskey, I would certainly expect some amount of a flavor shift though. I'm guessing since it's a BIB product, they wouldn't be able to blend barrels from Bernheim and BF over the next several years to create a gradual shift in flavor??
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Disciple

I can't wait to try DSP-KY-1 Ritt, and as long as it's good whiskey, I won't mind it being different from the current version. In fact, I'll welcome Bernheim-made Ritt having it's own "stamp," if you will.

I'd like to think there would be some variance between these distilleries, as it makes for more a more interesting tasting experience, at least for me.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Do you think they'll be in a hurry to put those DSP-1 back labels on? They won't be using up old labels on this one.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Do you think they'll be in a hurry to put those DSP-1 back labels on? They won't be using up old labels on this one.
    Is this a question or a statement? I'm really at odds over the shift -- I rather like the product as is, but it could (hopefully will be) better.
    tl; dnr

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

It's currently a fine product, but I am seriously hoping for a less bourbony whiskey, with more of a spicy, face shmakin', rye bite.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    It's currently a fine product, but I am seriously hoping for a less bourbony whiskey, with more of a spicy, face shmakin', rye bite.
    I couldn't agree more. And let's hope for more availability.

The rise of Rittenhouse has been based entirely on the DSP-354 product. I know that was a source of delight for the Brown-Forman people and it surely stuck in the craw of the Heaven Hill people. For better or worse, I'm sure they'll be happy to put DSP-1 on the label. I wouldn't expect much of a change, but we'll see. As for availability, I'm sure they keep increasing production and unless they're holding something back for something special, like a Parker's rye, for example, I expect availability will improve.

Interesting point. Because it's BIB, they can't mix DSP-354 whiskey and DSP-1 whiskey together to smooth the transition. It has to be one or the other.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    The rise of Rittenhouse has been based entirely on the DSP-354 product. I know that was a source of delight for the Brown-Forman people and it surely stuck in the craw of the Heaven Hill people. For better or worse, I'm sure they'll be happy to put DSP-1 on the label. I wouldn't expect much of a change, but we'll see. As for availability, I'm sure they keep increasing production and unless they're holding something back for something special, like a Parker's rye, for example, I expect availability will improve.

Interesting point. Because it's BIB, they can't mix DSP-354 whiskey and DSP-1 whiskey together to smooth the transition. It has to be one or the other.
    I could be wrong, but I thought they, in fact, they (HH) said there would be a PHC rye.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

I'm retracting my post of 4/10/12. It was intemperate at the time and I have since had some conversations with folks at Heaven Hill that convince me it is also inaccurate.

This should reassure anyone who is concerned about Rittenhouse Rye changing when it shifts from DSP-354 (Brown-Forman) to DSP-1 (Heaven Hill Bernheim) juice. The rye whiskey made at Brown-Forman used the same mash bill and yeast they were using at DSP-31 (Heaven Hill Bardstown) before the fire and it's the same as they're using at DSP-1 now. Distilleries are different, of course, but Heaven Hill feels it has been their rye at all three distilleries despite those differences.

I hope to receive from them soon an estimate of when DSP-1 will begin to appear on the BIB back label. It hasn't quite been four years yet, but it's getting close.

It's fair to say that the people at Brown-Forman Distillery are proud of the whiskey (bourbon and rye) they have made on Heaven Hill's behalf, as well they should be, but Heaven Hill is also proud of the way they managed to keep their products in production and true to their bona fides despite the unexpected loss of their distillery.