Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Connoisseur

Angel's Envy Cask Strength

Just a quick question on the (hopefully) soon-to-be-released Angel's Envy Cask Strength.

1.) Is it a bourbon finished in port barrels just like the standard release, except, of course, bottled at cask strength?

2.) Or did the spirit spend 100% of its time in port barrels, and therefore, was never a bourbon?

I tend to believe #1. Since Lincoln and Wes aren't distilling yet, they would have had to purchase already aged bourbon (I would assume from Brown-Forman with the past connections and all) and then finish it in port barrels. I swear I thought I read somewhere that the AE CS was 100% port matured but that just doesn't sound right. If that were the case, they would have had to source new make spirit right? And they wouldn't be able to use the same label as the standard AE right?

So the only difference between the two expressions is proof? I'm sure I'm overcomplicating this but I thought I read or heard somewhere that it's not a "bourbon" and never was. Perhaps my mind made up the 100% port matured part to justify it.

Wes, can you shed any light on this? Anyone else?

On a side note, I've had this a few times and it's VERY tasty. Can't wait for its release!!!

Thanks!
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Re: Angel's Envy Cask Strength Question

I had not heard that AE was coming out at Cask Strength, but I'm glad it is! I very much like AE, but kept thinking a higher proof would suit it.

I would imagine, like you, it's simply standard AE but at a higher proof. I can't imagine they would age it 100% in port casks, as they'd have to drop the Bourbon statement.

Taster

When I tasted the Angel's Envy Cask Strength sample at a whisky event last year, I was told that it was the same product as the original bottled at cask strength.

Virtuoso

What's the proof going to be? I'm interested. Even if it likely is BF juice

Guru

Glad to hear that this is coming out. Always tasted like Barton whiskey to me.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

Looking forward to the release.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by StraightNoChaser View Post
    What's the proof going to be? I'm interested. Even if it likely is BF juice
    If it is a true CS I would guess it would be in the 125 - 130PF range... if in fact it is a 4-7YO BF....
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Let me try to shed some light for you all on this.

Louisville Distilling will be releasing a Cask Strength AE for the holidays this year. It will be "finished" just like our normal product, although it will be released after a MUCH longer finishing time and of course a higher proof.

Typically AE is finished the the port wood for around 3-6 months. The cask strength, when actually bottled, will have been in the port wood for around 22 months depending on when we actually get around to putting it in the bottle. So we took our 4/5/6 year old bourbon, then basically finished it for 2 years. Current proofs coming out of the barrels are around 122-123. This was as of the first week of March, when I last pulled a sample. Of course this could change but I don't expect it to be drastic.

-Kyle Henderson
    3rd Generation and Production Manager

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by K_Henderson View Post

Louisville Distilling will be releasing a Cask Strength AE for the holidays this year. It will be "finished" just like our normal product, although it will be released after a MUCH longer finishing time and of course a higher proof.

Typically AE is finished the the port wood for around 3-6 months. The cask strength, when actually bottled, will have been in the port wood for around 22 months depending on when we actually get around to putting it in the bottle. So we took our 4/5/6 year old bourbon, then basically finished it for 2 years. Current proofs coming out of the barrels are around 122-123. This was as of the first week of March, when I last pulled a sample. Of course this could change but I don't expect it to be drastic.

-Kyle Henderson
    Can't wait! Thanks for posting. Will the cask strength be available everywhere AE is currently distributed or just in select markets? More to the point, will we see it in Michigan?
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by K_Henderson View Post

-Kyle Henderson

Gotta love this hobby and this forum! The information and access here is awesome
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden