Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Angel's Envy Cask Strength

Wow Tom, that might be a new record post for you in terms of length! Well said though.

I've had AE CS on several occasions and it's one of my favorite finished bourbons for sure. I've been looking forward to this release for some time (obviously, I even started this thread). I am a little disappointed by the price. But I'm a BIG fan of a free market economy. And whatever price it will fetch and sell for is the right price. Supply vs Demand. Perhaps there are only 600 people out there willing to pay $150 for it. Well then, it was priced perfect. We can whine and moan and cry all we want but it is what it is. Same with Pappy and all the other bourbons climbing in price each year.

Anyway....I wanted to speak more on the product. It's very tasty for any of you not fortunate enough to have sampled yet. It is well balanced.

Here's a photo so you guys can see the color difference. The additional port influence is very evident not only in the color but on the palate as well.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353789988.382522.jpg

And I really dig the particulates floating around in the glass. Can you see them?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353790041.075548.jpg

And when the bottle is finished and every last drop had been poured.....it makes a pretty damn cool lamp!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353790108.917658.jpg

Cheers everyone!
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Guru

Re: Angel's Envy Cask Strength

Okay. Finally had a couple of nights to sit down and spend some time with this. Here goes.

Appearance - It's a good looking pour. Beautiful dark, red amber. Long syrupy legs.

Nose - 72 pt, comic-sans WHAM! bubble of alcohol. Virtually impenetrable. It doesn't give much up beyond that save oak and musty grapes. My girlfriend teased out a burnt caramel popcorn note. Vanilla with prolonged air time.

Palate - Soft. Dessert Wine sweet, but with a bite. Like the liquid at the bottom of a Flavor Ice that trickles down and grabs your throat. Wine sweetness to the point I thought I wasn't going to get any bourbon taste at all, but then a rush of rye spice and splinters in the tongue oak just run roughshod over everything. Aggressive.

Finish - Long, lingering, drying oak and alcohol. Warmy. This is what the Heatmisers tongue must feel like.

In the end I'm not sure how to judge this. Does it stand up to the original "If it is NOT the most complex and smooth cask strength bourbon you have ever tried..." challenge? No. I would rate most if not all Staggs higher on the complexity scale. This years 4R SmB, too. And there are many smoother. The second challenge moved the goalposts a bit, simply wanting to be the best at what they do. In that regard I suppose they have succeeded as this is a might bit better than the standard bottling of AE. Is it special though? Not in my estimation. I find it to be unbalanced in too many aspects. But it is good whiskey. And good may be good enough if we were talking $70-80, give or take. But at $150+ I'm passing. Although I am sure they will all be moved eventually. B-

I do want to thank Wes, both for giving me the opportunity to sample his product, and for coming on here and dealing with the likes of us. I know it can't be easy dealing with criticism like ours head-on, and I appreciate him taking it in stride, and backing his product 100%. Cheers.

IMG_0641.jpgIMG_0010.jpg
    Last edited by MyOldKyDram; 11-27-2012 at 19:53.

Apprentice

Thank you so much for taking the time and interest to thoughtfully consider our cask release. This sort of dialogue with friends is why I enjoy being part of this community. As you can tell, I like to lay it all out, and I take each post as personal involvement in our adventure of growth. Each morning, as nuts as it may sound, it is a huge blessing for my family that people are taking the time to discuss our little brand.

As for our deal....I am a man of my word.

Best,

Wes
    Wes Henderson

Connoisseur

Re: Angels Envy Barrel Strength spotted last night in retail!

Quote Originally Posted by conecuhridge View Post
    ...We have been very open about the process of how Angel's Envy is produced.
    I'd bet that openness stops just shy of reporting the age(s) of what goes into your $150 whiskey.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    I'd bet that openness stops just shy of reporting the age(s) of what goes into your $150 whiskey.
    Sorry about that post - I can see how it comes off as snippy. I'm very happy that Mr. Henderson is refreshingly up-front about the way the whiskey he bottles is produced. In the spirit of openness, can you tell us, Mr. Henderson, how old your $150 whiskey is? While I'm at it, with a limit of 600 bottles, can I take it that it's from one port pipe?

Connoisseur

Not trying to answer for Wes, but I think the age range is a pretty simple guess....

It is at least 4 years old since they use the phrase Straight Bourbon and its NAS....

It is no older than 8 years old after hearing Lincoln preach that most whiskey over 8 years old is over the hill (when he stated his opinion he did note that it was obvious that several of us didn't agree with that statement).

Connoisseur

Angel's Envy Cask Strength

Quote Originally Posted by TomH View Post
    Not trying to answer for Wes, but I think the age range is a pretty simple guess....

It is at least 4 years old since they use the phrase Straight Bourbon and its NAS....

It is no older than 8 years old after hearing Lincoln preach that most whiskey over 8 years old is over the hill (when he stated his opinion he did note that it was obvious that several of us didn't agree with that statement).
    I would place it around 6 years just from palate experience alone. It has a youthful bite to it but it doesn't drink green or young.

I (along with lots of other people) would also love to know the source, and I'm quite certain Wes would love to tell us, but I understand business relationships and how fragile they can be. Wes has always been as honest and forthcoming as he can every time I've spoken to him in person on AE. He has some very interesting stories to tell on his chill filtration experiments and how many samples he kept in his freezer.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Guru

I'd guess about 8 yo with the extra finishing time.

As to the source, it's matches a Brown Forman mashbill, no?

Guru

Well, It's understandable. If I'm a distiller with surplus to requirements stock of course I'll sell it on the spot market (it was made to be sold) but I don't want someone to bottle up an undesirable low proof cinnamon/honey/papaya mess and proudly state on his label the whisky came from me.

If I'm a skillful producer of a quality proprietary whisky my formula is the product of my experience and sense of what a good whisky should be. I will cut no corners and may use more or less of one or more maker's product to achieve my goal. I don't want to put out a carefully crafted whisky only to have a naysayer post "well, it's just the same stuff you can get from the distillery brands" because it's not the same stuff. I chose the barrels and mingled to my own idea of my brand's profile and I don't want to give out the formula that took me years of work to achieve.

We have good distillers and we have good producers and I'm in favor of the two working in concert. I don't even care if they call it blended whiskey (works for the Scots, Irish and Canadians) because I"m convinced the right whiskys would make that description more respectable. In our modern information age there's no rock big enough for the unscrupulous to hide under and quality will out.

Regards,
    Squire

Guru

For what the rock rats put out the distillery stuff is the same . . . and a lot cheaper.